Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Port Richey , Florida
Sharing my first time story

Well, when life gives you lemons..... so I decided to make light of one of those days. As a new member of these pages, I thought a little humility might be in order and share a good laugh.

We went and picked up our first travel trailer, totally green to both Airstream and the lifestyle. Our comedy of errors starts with not knowing the basics and buying a handyman special. That 2" ball on me Reese hitch I have been lugging around for years, well, wouldn't ya know it, my new airstream is a 2 5/16 ball. Off to the store.

Oh that one tire is low, ha got my compressor in the truck, got this one whipped. Comprssor off, whats that hiss.....awww, valve stem is cracked, better move fast.

What, the 74 model does not have a plug compatible with my newer truck, rut roh, Walmart does not have those, even from China. Sigh

Ok, we got air in the tire, hooked up, and ready to go, down the first road, doing well, tows nice. Whats that noise, did something come loose inside during that first turn........whats that in my mirror, awwww, the awning just broke loose in the back, spring flapping around and what do I do with this 25 foor long tube on the side of the road? Anyone got some rope, duct tape, aluminium magnet???

Tire is hissing, cars are laughing at me trying to take care of this big long tube, he looks like a noob. Think i need bigger sun glasses.

Must remember, when towing a big ole trailer, give yourself more room or those tires will squeal. Good thing i got an airstream, stayed true with four skidding tires. Had a good safe three inches from the trailer full of landscaping mateirals in front of me.

Where did that AC cover come from, is that mine? Awww, it is and now its, uh..... a mess, and so am I at this point. Did I buy a leper model?

Finally home, now the fun begins. Amazing when the courship is over, all the things you start to notice. Now that we are a permant thing, taking those first photos for the forums, I see so much more now.

We survived our first day with our new/old Airstream. Let the games begin. Somebody hide the checkbook and credit cards for they are not safe in Airstream land.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Well, your trip home with your find was a bit more *interesting* than mine. Thanks for sharing - I feel better already. Really though, I'm glad you can joke about it and know to hide your funds... they definately are not safe! Can't wait to see your pictures - but your storytelling certainly painted a picture.
Laura

Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking i cant really.....

read that well....so if you could post some pics i could spend the day looking at them tomorrow well at work.....

thanks

lee

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Sounds like you managed to get home in one (or 2, or 3....) pieces with your new Airstream, with your sense of humour solidly intact!

Good luck with your leper, hopefully nothing extra is going to fall off.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Great story. Very funny, glad you can see the humor in those difficulties. It must be that silver lining in the clouds that lets you keep on smiling. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your Airstream!!!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Smile Great humor

Best part of the story is that you made it home with your new baby.
We all have had some strange happenings over the years. There will be more. Just keep up your good humor and have fun. Show us some pictures.
Judy
Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
I'm still laughing. Not sure if I laughed at what you wrote or how you wrote it. From what I can tell, a good dose of humor makes owning a vintage As easier. Now, go camp in the driveway and fix the other stuff tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #8

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It sounds like you have found the Master Solution to all 'Streamin issues...
A huge dose of comedy...

Keep it light, post the small issues here (there are no big issues) and...

Go camping!
(even if it' s in the driveway...)
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I feel your pain. When I was towing the 66 overlander home. Had plastic flappin from broken windows, wasps flying out of the thing, then as I got into downtown, right in front of a church/recital hall and had a wheel locked up and had to drive it 2 1/2 blocks through downtown to find a place I could pull off, smoke everywhere, big skidmarks we could see where we went for almost a month. Will never forget that look on people's faces. Congrats on the new toy, it will bring you years of fun, and you'll never forget that first trip!
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Cape Coral , Florida
Welcome to the wonderful world of Airstream, otherwise known as: "If its not one thing its another." Seriously though, the projects are just as much fun as the camping. If you were able to save enough of your AC shroud to tide you over, and the AC is otherwise working, there is a RV salvage yard in Alachua that has dozens of replacement shrouds for all eras for a lot less than a new replacement.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the purchase!! You have the best quote of the day and maybe the truest!
"Checkbook and credit cards not safe in airstream land"
Best one I have seen in a while!!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseleagle View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of Airstream, otherwise known as: "If its not one thing its another." Seriously though, the projects are just as much fun as the camping. If you were able to save enough of your AC shroud to tide you over, and the AC is otherwise working, there is a RV salvage yard in Alachua that has dozens of replacement shrouds for all eras for a lot less than a new replacement.

Now that's just sic! I dreamed of projects being that much fun - but they weren't - and now I just camp!

Laura
Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Largo , Florida
Good morning FloridaMV,
Over the past 16 months, working on my AS everyday, I have completed 100's of small projects on my very long list. The joy of finishing a task make me so happy. The fact that I am able to get the old part out and find the replacement part makes me happy. The shopping everyday is just bliss. The staff at The Home Depot talk with me everyday like I'm a family member - just joy. I have fun everyday and go to bed with a smile on my face - I can hardly wait until I just go traveling to places that no one knows me.