Old 09-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #1

2008 16' Bambi
Seattle , Washington
Scoping Plans for 2008 on the Road

New Member Post at www.airforums.com

I've found this forum very helpful with the process of thinking through my plans for a year on the road in 2008.

What I have in mind is to purchase a new or used 16 foot Bambi. I've traveled for months at a time in a camper van in Europe and Australia, so I'm comfortable with the size.

I'll tow it with a 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis that has less than 50,000 miles on it. I'm told the car has adequate towing capacity, although I'm nervous about all systems working well given the car's age and despite its light usage heretofore.

I can conduct my business anywhere I have internet, email and cell service. But I'll need to stow the car and trailer occasionally when I fly to meetings or back home to Seattle for visits with family. How easy is it to find inexpensive temporary storage near airports? Any suggestions?

I'll be starting my travel in the Southeast, probably Florida so I could purchase and pick up my trailer anywhere along the way. I was thinking about Bates RV in Tampa and received a good quote from them, but I read some negative things in the forums about their delivery process, i.e. hectic, impersonal, inadequate. Comments, suggestions? Who's had an outstanding purchase experience anywhere?

I've read some of the threads about insurance but if anyone has a suggestion specific to what I'm planning to do, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re the Bambi's options, any advice is welcome. Following are some of my considerations:

Since I'll be staying mostly in campgrounds with services, do I really need the $728 "inverter?" Although I read a few threads about the solar charging system, I'm still wondering about the advisability of that. Is a generator practical and acceptable or is noise a problem?

I don't care about the audio/video upgrade as I've seen it described, but I wonder about the effect on resale value of not having it.

Any thoughts on the rear panoramic windows? I see the benefit of the natural light in the front, dinette area, but wonder if it's worth $1122 to have in the back by the bed.

Any thoughts or considerations are very welcome.

Thanks for all the valuable information I've found here.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums. You have found the "right" place! It sounds as most of your questions pertain to a new Bambi... so I can't help you there. We have a vintage, 1963 Bambi that we dearly adore. Everything in her is fairly simple but has all the amenities! If you should go "older" be sure the electrical system is up to snuff... the older trailers have a total of one 15 amp service. We completely rewired and put in everything we needed. Much safer. The newer Bambi's are much heavier than the older ones so you might weigh your options. The newer Bambi's are also much easier to come by...

As for parking near Airports... no clue for you there. I do know, however, many members offer courtesy parking for a day or two and there might be someone available. With an Airstream, I wouldn't just leave it anywhere. It will disappear while you are gone. If you join the WBCCI they also have a published list of folks that are willing to provide courtesy parking. That might be an option too.

Good luck, and welcome. This site has lots of great information.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling S Tardis)

Old 09-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoses
What I have in mind is to purchase a new or used 16 foot Bambi... I'm comfortable with the size.
The 16 foot Bambi is a great trailer - everything you need and nothing you don't.
Quote:
I'll tow it with a 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis that has less than 50,000 miles on it. I'm told the car has adequate towing capacity...
Modern Bambis are a little tongue heavy - so to the extent that you can, make sure that your rear suspension and hitch are up to the job.
Quote:
I'll be starting my travel in the Southeast, probably Florida so I could purchase and pick up my trailer anywhere along the way. I was thinking about Bates RV in Tampa
I bought my Bambi from Bates sight unseen and they arranged to have it shipped up to me (about 1000mi) - I ended up being very happy with them.
Quote:
Is a generator practical and acceptable or is noise a problem?
Generators are practical in general but not for you - neither your car nor your Bambi has a good storage area for a gas generator. There is no real reason for you to get the solar panels if you plan on spending most of your time parked next to an electric outlet. That said, the solar option does include an upgrade to a Lifeline Battery - an upgrade I strongly recommend.
Quote:
I don't care about the audio/video upgrade as I've seen it described, but I wonder about the effect on resale value of not having it.
Essentially none - most people recognize that it is an opportunity for airstream and their dealers to make some money. Most people don't care and any real audio or videophile would want their own setup.
Quote:
Any thoughts on the rear panoramic windows? I see the benefit of the natural light in the front, dinette area, but wonder if it's worth $1122 to have in the back by the bed.
If you see yourself going to state/federal parks where you are likely to have small, back-in lots with views then go for the rear panoramic window - we love ours.

I'm sure you will love your Bambi.