Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Monroe , North Carolina
scared 73 Argosy newbie

Hi everyone,

We just brought home our 73 22ft Argosy tandem axle. My husband and I are very excited but a tad overwhelmed. The information that is available here is great, but we don't really know enough to even ask intelligent questions.

Is there a service manual for Argosys in particular or do we just use the airstream manual?

As soon as we figure out what is working and what we need to fix, I'll be posting all my questions.

Looking forward to this great (but scary) adventure
Carl and Katy
Chiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hi, and welcome to the forums!
For manuals, since Argosy is/was a division of Airstream, you would use the manual for an Airstream, as the trailers are basically the same, but different. For your Argosy 22, you would use the service manual for a tandem axle Safari (23'). Most of the features are the same, although the Argosy line has fewer "frills" than the same model Airstream. I think less is better, if it isn't there, it can't break.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Welcome, sounds like a nice rig you picked up. You be experts in no time Overlander63 is correct, everything is prety much the same.

Ask away if you need help!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiquita
Hi everyone
Hi Carl and Katy! Welcome and congradulations! It wasn't that long ago I was in your shoes so I can certainly sympathize with your feelings of being overwhelmed. But with the help of the forums I muddled my way through a thorough inspection and have tackled a few DIY projects (check out my blog for the nastly details).

A reasonable plan of attack would be to first confirm your trailer will reliably roll and stop well, tail lights are a close second. Then go through the appliances, plumbing and electrics. The integrity of the propane system is very important too. Check the floor for soft spots and any evidence of water leaks (all water leaks end up on the floor). There are dozens of other nit-picky things that will crop up but most will not stop you from camping comfortably.

Use the search function on the forums and have fun exploring

Best wishes,

Steve

P.S. And listen to all the previous episodes of the VAP...
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Hi Carl and Kathy,
Welcome to the forums! They did make Argosy repair/owner's manuals but they are very hard to find. You can buy the appropriate Airstream manual from Airstream The systems are similar enough that you can make it work, for everything else there is the forums.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Monroe , North Carolina
Thanks for the help so far, already. Just hearing from people makes me feel a little better; except when my wife told me how much Steve paid for his Argosy, now I am depressed again. Oh well, live and learn.
3 Questions---

1) What wiring diagram do I use for this? Only my right stop light and brake lights work currently.

2) Which intelipower converter do I use? There are different amp units.

3)What type of battery should we use?

Obviously you can see much is missing or destroyed and paid a pretty penny.
This is where I think we should start and then move onto plumbing.

The floor is in good shape, although some rot at the back of unit but no water leaks thus far. Have not tested furnace or hot water heater.. One step at a time....

Thanks
Carl
Chiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Thumbs up Welcome to Vintage Airstreaming

Chiquita,

Congratulations on your new trailer! Yeah, restoring an old Airstream (and an Argosy is an Airstream, by all accounts) is a life long project, but you'll get a feeling of accomplishment and meet a lot of nice people. Speaking of the latter, I hope you will join Vintage Airstream Club The Vintage Airstream Club and come to some rallies, where you can sit around with other old trailer fans and talk about how you met your particular trailer's challenges. (I myself, for example, have my Golden Plunger award for overhauling our trailer's dump valve--which, in 1960, was of all bronze construction.)

See you down the road,
Nuvite

PS You won't need to learn about Nuvite, since Argosies are painted, not polished!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Safari
Escondido , California
Welcome Carl & Katy!
I also have a 22ft, 73 Argosy. I had problems with the tail lights also, but I replaced them. There are some posts about replacing the tail lights. I was lucky, the previous owner had the owners manual for the trailer. I had to make a drawing of the electrical system for myself, using the owners manual and the trailer. My latest challenge is replacing the furnace. I hope to finish the installation this week. I had the cushions recovered, and used new foam. I am waiting for the new drapes. I will be replacing the floor, and then on to the paint work.
Do you have the front dinette? Again congratulations, and welcome.
Sam
AIR #13642
18 Ram 1500, 06 Safari 22
SnorkyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
All your exterior lighting goes from front to back, on the curb (right) side of the ceiling, sandwiched between the roof and ceiling. You will probably find you have multiple bad grounds, and drilling out the old rivets, or unscrewing the old bolts, and poutting in new ones will probably work wonders for your exterior lights. The wire for the clearance lights goes to the rear, and crosses from right to left all the way in the back.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:53 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Safari
Escondido , California
I found two places where the grounds are connected to the frame. The first is up front on the LH side tongue where the 7 wire vehicle connector wires are attached to the trailer wires. The second is on the LH side, inside the rear storage compartment. The grounds from the AC, and power converter are connected here. I replaced the fittings, terminals, and fasteners in both places after cleaning the frame area where the connections are made of paint and rust. I used stainless steel fasteners, and coated all the exposed surfaces with dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion.

I also found an encapsulated circuit breaker in the power feed lead up front, which was not shown on the Argosy wiring diagram.

Sam
AIR #13642
18 Ram 1500, 06 Safari 22
SnorkyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #11
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Welcome Carl & Katy-
You will find lots of information and lots of friends here on the forums. You will find using the search funtion very useful. Welcome to the neighborhood!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
scared 73 Argosy newbie

Greetings Carl!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Thanks for the help so far, already. Just hearing from people makes me feel a little better; except when my wife told me how much Steve paid for his Argosy, now I am depressed again. Oh well, live and learn.
3 Questions---

1) What wiring diagram do I use for this? Only my right stop light and brake lights work currently.

Obviously you can see much is missing or destroyed and paid a pretty penny.
This is where I think we should start and then move onto plumbing.

The floor is in good shape, although some rot at the back of unit but no water leaks thus far. Have not tested furnace or hot water heater.. One step at a time....

Thanks
Carl
The wiring diagram for the Bargman connector on the Argosy was wiried to same patter used by the same-vintage Airstream. Your '73 Argosy would have originally been wired according to schematic at the link found below:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...lug1966-81.pdf

Your tow vehicle is likely wired to the current industry standard as found in the link below:

Marksrv.com 7 way wiring diagram page

Good luck with your electric gremlin!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:13 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
Hello Neighbor!
Welcome to the forum.
mtnman
Mortimer, NC
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:54 AM   #14
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up Arg

Quote:
...Just hearing from people makes me feel a little better; except when my wife told me how much Steve paid for his Argosy, now I am depressed again.....Carl
Don't be depressed Carl. I have easily put twice what I paid into it since I picked it up and it isn't near done. I don't have A/C, heat or an awning, the fridge is weak and I discovered this summer that the black tank needs replaced! Stop feeling sorry for yourself and feel sorry for me

Our improvements are on the installment plan. I don't mind too much if it takes time to get her back to 100% because it's still a big step up from tent camping.

BTW, try to post pictures soon...

Best wishes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote