Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
Sale value of a 1979 Airstream badged Argosy 24' MoHo

I wish I was going to be a long term member of this esteemed group, but we (my wife and I) are trying to help her father sell his 1979 Airstream badged Argosy 24, perhaps we can help someone else join the club. We have been finding lots of helpful information on your site, but unfortunately there is no room for it financially or physically to remain in our possession. V.I.N. M24R9V2006 runs just followed it from Renton Washington to Portland Oregon, approximately 150 miles at 70 mph, the only problem was a alternator belt, had a spare, fixed it and drove on. Our first dilemma is what the value is, While I know it is quite subjective by individual, and vehicle condition, buyer and seller motivations etc, My main question is where to start. ask too much no one wants it, ask too little; less money for the father in law.
J.D.Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.Murphy View Post
I wish I was going to be a long term member of this esteemed group, but we (my wife and I) are trying to help her father sell his 1979 Airstream badged Argosy 24, perhaps we can help someone else join the club. We have been finding lots of helpful information on your site, but unfortunately there is no room for it financially or physically to remain in our possession. V.I.N. M24R9V2006 runs just followed it from Renton Washington to Portland Oregon, approximately 150 miles at 70 mph, the only problem was a alternator belt, had a spare, fixed it and drove on. Our first dilemma is what the value is, While I know it is quite subjective by individual, and vehicle condition, buyer and seller motivations etc, My main question is where to start. ask too much no one wants it, ask too little; less money for the father in law.
Motorhome selling prices depend on what shape the coach is in, and the mileage.

Have all the repairs and PM's been kept up to date?

Tires, gaskets, overhauled appliances, etc.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
pictures

I'm trying to figure out how to add pictures, I hope this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0517141751-00.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	212266   Click image for larger version

Name:	0517141752-00.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	599.4 KB
ID:	212267  

Name:	0517141744-01.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	550.9 KB
ID:	212268  
Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
More pictures

It seems that the pics are too large, I can only post 3 at a time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0517141745-00.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	212272   Click image for larger version

Name:	0517141748-00.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	212273  

Name:	0517141729-00.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	212274   Click image for larger version

Name:	0517141735-02.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	212275  

Old 05-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
1979 24’ painted Airstream Argosy motor home, we were hoping to ask $8000 obo, as is, but we're looking for more expert advice on price. Helping my dad with paring down after a move. Does NOT have current tags or trip permit as it is still licensed in Washington. Good, fairly new 16.5 tires, approx 3 years and 500 miles on them, including spare. Interior has been thoroughly wiped down including the interiors of all storage spaces. All carpeting and chairs have been vacuumed. Curtains have not been cleaned. Kitchen range, surface and oven, have not been used recently but were operational when my dad bought this RV. Working Onan 4000 watt generator with less than 900 hours.
While we have found that this model is considered very desirable among Airstream enthusiasts, this is a 35 year old vehicle and it’s not going to be perfect. The following are issues we were told about or noticed while cleaning it up to sell.
Needs -
Bathroom sink
Both couches/beds one frame included
Hot water tank has pin hole leak on bottom.
Water supply line under refrigerator seeps but has a switch on the pump that shuts it off when not in use.
Refrigerator not working, needs igniter installed, we do have the part for that repair, and I would recommend replacing the door gaskets also.
Heater works but thermostat needs replacement.
Window seals are old and could stand to be replaced.
Carpeting appears to be original. A portion is missing and it IS 70’s colors but what is there is not too badly worn.
Windshield has minor crack on driver side and fairly large cracks on passenger side that look as though they were glued previously. Not sure if it’s repairable or better off replacing the passenger side.
Awning should be complete but appears to have broken brackets at the bottom. And seem to be the cause of the only puncture in the skin that I have seen.
The AC needs recharging.
This list is as complete as possible. If we missed anything, again, 35 yr old RV.

It’s got a good amount of nostalgic charm and if we could afford to keep it in the family it would be a fun project. We have manuals and previous repair documentation also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0517141748-00.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	212276   Click image for larger version

Name:	0517141732-00.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	212277  

Name:	0517141731-04.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	212278   Click image for larger version

Name:	0517141748-01.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	212279  

Old 05-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.Murphy View Post
1979 24’ painted Airstream Argosy motor home, we were hoping to ask $8000 obo, as is, but we're looking for more expert advice on price. Helping my dad with paring down after a move. Does NOT have current tags or trip permit as it is still licensed in Washington. Good, fairly new 16.5 tires, approx 3 years and 500 miles on them, including spare. Interior has been thoroughly wiped down including the interiors of all storage spaces. All carpeting and chairs have been vacuumed. Curtains have not been cleaned. Kitchen range, surface and oven, have not been used recently but were operational when my dad bought this RV. Working Onan 4000 watt generator with less than 900 hours.
While we have found that this model is considered very desirable among Airstream enthusiasts, this is a 35 year old vehicle and it’s not going to be perfect. The following are issues we were told about or noticed while cleaning it up to sell.
Needs -
Bathroom sink
Both couches/beds one frame included
Hot water tank has pin hole leak on bottom.
Water supply line under refrigerator seeps but has a switch on the pump that shuts it off when not in use.
Refrigerator not working, needs igniter installed, we do have the part for that repair, and I would recommend replacing the door gaskets also.
Heater works but thermostat needs replacement.
Window seals are old and could stand to be replaced.
Carpeting appears to be original. A portion is missing and it IS 70’s colors but what is there is not too badly worn.
Windshield has minor crack on driver side and fairly large cracks on passenger side that look as though they were glued previously. Not sure if it’s repairable or better off replacing the passenger side.
Awning should be complete but appears to have broken brackets at the bottom. And seem to be the cause of the only puncture in the skin that I have seen.
The AC needs recharging.
This list is as complete as possible. If we missed anything, again, 35 yr old RV.

It’s got a good amount of nostalgic charm and if we could afford to keep it in the family it would be a fun project. We have manuals and previous repair documentation also.
Mileage?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
more pictures

More pics of interior, I am not trying to swamp the site with pictures, but I'm of the opinion that the more pics, the better an evaluation I can get. We're not greedy, and we have no illusions about top dollar,we just want to find a good price to sell it for, so every one gets a fair deal, and it gets a new home soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0517141726-00.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	212280   Click image for larger version

Name:	0517141726-02.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	212281  

Name:	0517141727-00.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	212282   Click image for larger version

Name:	0517141728-01.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	212283  

Old 05-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
cabinets

Pictures of the cabinets, I suppose this is enough for now until I get some sort of response from other members. I look forward to hearing from you all, about the good, the bad and the ugly. Let me have it! I won't take it personally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0517141727-02.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	212284   Click image for larger version

Name:	0517141735-01.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	212285  

Name:	0517141729-02.jpg
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	212286   Click image for larger version

Name:	0517141735-03.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	212287  

Old 05-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It would be quite a project to bring that one back to life. BTW, I had a '78 Argosy 24' motorhome for about 6 years, so I am familiar with that exact unit. I would not consider it especially "desirable", just an old classic Argosy motorhome. I see so many things which need replacing or even locating (bathroom sink, beds, etc) and refrigerator, AC, water heater and on and on. Windshields alone are about $600 a side. Just fixing the wipers alone is a real project, I know, I had to do mine, and I note the passenger side on yours is not parked right.

It probably needs $6000 or more for parts alone, considering what will be found when actually doing the work on it. Ultimate value would not top 10 to 12 k in good condition, I don't believe. So, my best guess (and you asked for opinions) would be that the proposed asking price is too high. I doubt you would get $5 to $6 k as I see it now. If it were mine, knowing the costs involved, I would be happy to get $4 k for it as is.

There was a similar one in Hungry Horse Montana last summer near Glacier Park. It sat for at least two months and I think they wanted under $3 k for it.

You asked for opinions and that is my best shot. But it only takes one person with stars in their eyes as a buyer. Unfortunately, they generally not only have stars in their eyes, but have no money to begin with.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
more

Just in case I didn't state it or it's not apparent; originally this was a rear bath dual (twin?) bed model, with a bed/couch across from the kitchen area, the front pull out table is still in good shape but no beds, but one of the frames with the roll-up cabinet front are left intact. Plenty of room to customize.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0517141737-01.jpg
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	212291   Click image for larger version

Name:	0517141727-01.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	212292  

Name:	0517141736-00.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	212293  
Old 05-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
I had cut and pasted some of my wife's notes into the post, I meant to edit the very desirable bit from the original post but missed the time limit,. I understand that they are somewhat desirable compared to other rvs of the era, shape , and the ability to shine all but the endcaps are all bonuses, availability of chevy autoparts helps, but I have no grand illusions, it's not mine, I'm not too personally invested. I am not sure why you think the water heater needs replacing? is a pin hole leak so hard to patch?, or the ac (as far as I know it just needs recharging) the fridge needs an igniter installed, the wipers seemed to work on the trip from Renton,( it was pouring). We have a binder of repair material that we have not gone through yet, that might address possible issues, and will add info as we find it.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The pin hole leak in the aluminum hot water tank means the tank is shot and there is no repair. It also shows no insulation or cover over it. The AC units are almost impossible to get anyone to repair. They started out as a sealed unit, and have no service valves or inputs to charge. The cost of repair generally exceeds the cost of a new one. If you have not actually tested the refrigerator in any way, it could easily need far more than an "ignitor" but one does not know. Glad the wipers worked, I only went from my experience that they are quite difficult to repair and one of the photos shows the passenger wiper parked in the wrong place.

You asked for opinions and presented good photos showing a unit which needs a lot of things to bring it back to working service and they can be very expensive. The things we don't really know about are also in my mind, brakes, actual transmission and engine condition, engine AC, and so on. Even though your tires may be OK for now, the 16.5 inch size is actually quite hard to get anymore and that usually means new wheels are in the future too.

I am not running your unit down, just looking at the reality and cost of repairs and renovations which will greatly determine the value of the base unit to anyone who would like to own it.

I always say the value of a rig is what a willing buyer will pay and what a willing seller will take. There is no real way that anyone can determine who will come along.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:45 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
My father in law owned this for a few years, and lived in it for a while while doing construction, then he left it with us to sell with minimal information, we're learning as we go. The Ac issue is good to know, I'll have to ask him about recent repairs, and about the fridge, as for the hot water tank: American Welding Inc, from Toledo Ohio claim; We will repair the tank, leak test it and guarantee it does not leak for $50.00 plus shipping,....ship it to us. If we cannot fix it we will return it to you and we will pay the shipping both ways. You cannot lose!!, sounds like a good deal, I'll have to look into their reputation, Aluminum Hot Water Heater Tank Repair , it is a far cry from the cost you implied, and the lack of a fix you stated as fact. I don't know how you would suggest it should be insulated but in lieu of the hexagonal Styrofoam box I have seen in pictures, I don't imagine it would be too difficult to box in with cardboard and sprayfoam insulate the tank. Tires? having a nearly new set of 7, 16.5 tires does not hurt the sale on my end at all, they should last the N.O. for a while and if the new owner wants to replace the rims and tires with 16's, more power to them. I searched for the 9.75-16.5 and had none of your reported problems finding them, and I find used 16 inch rims for my 1988 short school bus for $30-35 each, locally. As disabled GW-I Veteran with a family, I have no expendable income to throw at tuning up, remodeling, repainting, rebuilding this rig beyond what has been put out for cleaning supplies. I 'm not an expert on these, but I'm not a rube either, I don't know you, and I'm not sure if you knew they can be fixed or not ,( it being this late on a sunday night I'll give you the benefit of the doubt), but it took me 5 min to find applicable repairs for an item you stated with experience and authority was irreparable.... You looking to replace your old 24 footer?
Old 05-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
As far as I can tell only 102,357 miles (2357 showing) our records are less complete than I had hoped, they only go back to 1997. I'll try and get some pictures of the engine later.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
repair records

Well, the repair records are far less extensive than I had thought. They mainly cover 97-98-99 when a bunch of maintenance and repairs were done, I believe some more work was done in Montana recently, but I have to contact the Father in Law for verification. The receipts are for; seats replaced in 97, new carb, new exhaust, muffler, furnace, new awning(now needs aluminum support-ends and bracket replaced),new water heater (now with pinhole leak, I found a site that will fix for $50 plus shipping, or if they can't fix it, they will pay shipping both ways ) checks of the tranny etc. This work was not last week, but at least we know some maintenance and repairs were done.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Idroba is just trying go give you an honest, non-biased answer to the question you had posed about the estimated selling price/asking price for the unit. Idroba has helped me, a relative new owner, on more than one occasion when i have posed questions here on the forums and has always been accurate and helpful with his/her answers. In fact, there are many many kind people here that are willing to give of their time and knowledge and experience so that we new comers dont make expensive mistakes on these rather unique vehicles.

When idroba noted that the hot water heater needs replaced for example, you may very well be able to find someone to "patch" the exsisting one with a hole in it. However, an inspector or informed buyer will notice this type of repair and it will be a red flag. The water heater being one of the major and expensive appliances. If its "patched" together then how many other things are patched together. Thats just one example.

I have found that in the long run on these vehicles, one needs to spend the money up front and do the repairs right the first time or there will be problems down the road. So you may be wise to not try and patch work anything together, save yourself some time and money and just sell it for what it is.

Whatever someone ends up paying for this vehicle will be a small down payment on what the eventual cost will be to get it right, reliable, and road wothy. Its in need of a great deal of expensive renovation for sure, im sure you realize that. My guess would be that you will end up getting less than $5000 for it, how much less is anybodys guess.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
Mayco I appreciate and understand what you and Idroba are saying, it seems to come down to desired outcome, functional or as original, the first is easier, the second more expensive. I was not trying to be too snotty to Idroba, but nothing comes across as funny at 230am on a monday morning as it might sound in my head. The 8k was a place to start the inquiries, I have not posted it for sale anywhere as of yet, and any thought of actually asking for that figure is long gone. We're still trying to nail down some more specifics on maintenance, and repairs, before listing it. This being Portland Oregon,( a food cart mecca), I would not be surprised if it ends up as a mobile kitchen.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Argosy 24
Portland , Oregon
sale price

I guess my wife posted on Portland Craig's list for 6k O.B.O. A bit more than I was going to suggest, but it is "Or Best Offer", and it gives room to dicker or drop over time. Anyway,.. cash talks and we'll see what it goes for. I would have posted to this sites classifieds, but there is some issue with my password, and they have not gotten back to me.(?) I would hope that it goes to someone who will appreciate it for what it is.

1979 24' painted Airstream Argosy
Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
JD-
I think that is a reasonable starting price.. Any Airstream/Argosy "Classic" Motorhome is going to be more popular and more valuable than a square box version of same mileage and vintage and condition.. One methodology to work into pricing is to start with price if perfect, and then subtract a portion of repair cost (like 80% or 90%) for major items needing to be fixed or replaced.. Thus if perfect clean unit were worth $12K, you could subtract 80% of A/C <$1400>, Fridge <$1500>, Windshields <$600?>, Water Heater <$500> and so on.. That rationale might help encourage potential buyer (who may have even less of a clue about real price or value..) to believe your price is reasonable.. If chassis/engine/wheels/tires/brakes are in good condition (even with mileage over 100K) that relieves some of the anxiety, and turns it into just an RV restoration, rather than a truck and RV rebuild...
Your ad doesn't include the phrase "motorhome" in the title, which might confuse people thinking it is a trailer.. If it were my ad, I'd re-write it to read "1979 24' Airstream / Argosy Motorhome...."

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote