Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Sailors and Truckers take to the Blue Highways

Hi! My husband and I lived on sailboats and drove a truck cross country as a team for 25 years when we decided to sell the truck and spend the next 10 years cruising the islands in the Caribbean. Many of our cruising friends had RV's back home and commented that the RV folks are as close knit and as friendly a community as are Cruisers. We returned to the States and built a house in Florida and "thought" that is where we wanted to stay but, alas, the wanderlust has won out and I purchased a 2006 25' Safari yesterday. We are such newbies we don't even know what the WB or FB and LS letters after the name mean (we have a lot to learn!) so can't tell you exactly what we have but she is beautiful and in practically new condition - the previous owner lit the burners and oven for the very first time yesterday! My husband hasn't even seen it yet. He is "on the road" as we speak and I am home pulling weeds and reading junk mail. It is about time for him to retire again and we hope to travel the Blue Highways, visit as many National Parks as we can and meet the Land Cruising Community we have heard so much about. Don't want to see another Interstate Highway for awhile. See ya 'round the bend!
Seaheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from Ga... welcome to our group ! Sounds like your background lends itself to enjoying you new AS. The initials you mentioned are; WB, wide body, FB front bedroom, and LS is a package of extras your AS came with (I think it varies per model) Hope to see y'all 'out there', regards, Craig
Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Hello from Seattle Seaheart:
I'm in the same boat so to speak. And congrats on your Safari.
Several weeks ago I found a '05 25' Safari which I've named Tinbad the Trailer.
It took a couple weeks to get my barn ready for him and then had him towed to the repair center for a full check up (ANOTHER 2 weeks due to backlog). Finally finished the minor repairs (bearings/seals vy. important) yesterday and the tech. showed me how everything worked, paid the bill$.
Could have done all myself but Tinbad had "been on the hard" for 8 mo's and I did'ent want a major mishap on I-5.
If all goes according to plan I'm having a prof. towing co bring him up the 150miles to the barn which I've made a "docking stations" inside and out for all shore hook-ups....separate laundry room/toilet back up and shop area.
28 years at sea as Capt. of those mega (lomaniacle) power yachts and now I'm cutting grass and pulling weeds and learning the difference between deciduous and conifers.
Am I going backwards?
We'll find out this Saturday when he reverses into his home port dock.
As excited as you are to be sure!
Smooth sailing
Del and Tinbad (and Kathy, who's yet to meet him but she's "on board" with the plan)
Cheers and don't forget the champagne christening!!
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
here's another one. I retired at 55 after a career working in the undersea acoustics and oceanographic businesses. We moved to a small island south of the Bahamas six years ago. We built a home here as a base, with the plan being to buy a small cruising catamaran and spend a big part of the year sailing between here and South and Central America. Things were well on track. We had the boat picked out.

Then the government here basically collapsed, and in rebuilding it the Brits raised the import duty on 'pleasure boats' ( non-commercial) to 40%. That killed the catamaran idea, for now. We noticed that our cost for a new 27FB is about what we would have given to this corrupt government for the privlege of importing a boat we owned to a country we live in. Is that ironic or what? We are still very much involved with the sailing/cruising life. We're a land based VHF on the cruisers net every morning, and will be at a cookout for cruisers passing through our islands tonight, in fact.

So, we are buying a new 27FB and plan to cruise the inland part of North America during hurricane season, and return to our tropical home at the end of bow season. Late September.

I am going to put a screw in a big thermometer, placed at the 60 deg. mark. With a battery and buzzer wired to the insulated screw and the temperature indicator. When that buzzer goes off , it'll be time to pack up the airstream and head to the islands, mon.

Maybe we'll see you out there.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
What a great name - Tinbad the Trailer! Do you think you will miss the sea? I know my husband will and I will miss the beaches. But looking forward to a new adventure - not "adventure" in quotes if you know what I mean.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
I don't know where the SS SE Letters came from in my profile. I must have just taken some at random not knowing what any of them mean. What I have is a fouton-like sofa up forward, no dinette except for a fold up table in front of the sofa and a queen size bed in the rear. Now what letters does that fit?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Welcome to the site, we're ex-boaters, also and know you'll fit right in to this lifestyle.
Notice our sig?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Does SS stand for 6 sleeper? And SE is a trim or option package. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Welcome aboard- we built a 30' Cowhorn schooner in Coral Bay, St John, USVI inthe early 80's and lived aboard her for 10 years- on others before that. We just got our 31 Classic and just love it! She feels like a boat inside and we feel right at home. Such a cozy little nest, can't imagine why one would need more. We are ready to full-time in a year, and the wanderlust spirit is settling in. There is something really cool about traveling in your home- brings back memories of our cruising days. You will love it too, I am sure!
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote