Old 11-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #1

2000 25' Safari
san francisco , California
Question Safari 25' 1999/2000

I have been the sole owner for the past 5 years and have only used the 'air' on my land in Mendocino County Northern Ca, strictly as a get-a-way...I have sold my land and want to find a spot near water and juice to continue using the trailer as a weekend retreat away from San francsico. Any ideas, are greatly appreciated?

p.s. although I do have electric brake controls in my Ford to brake the trailer , especially on downhills, I am wondering if the Safari 25' from the 2000n year has electric brakes which are applied when I use my auto brakes routinely?

Old 11-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhoffman2
I have been the sole owner for the past 5 years and have only used the 'air' on my land in Mendocino County Northern Ca, strictly as a get-a-way...I have sold my land and want to find a spot near water and juice to continue using the trailer as a weekend retreat away from San francsico. Any ideas, are greatly appreciated?

p.s. although I do have electric brake controls in my Ford to brake the trailer , especially on downhills, I am wondering if the Safari 25' from the 2000n year has electric brakes which are applied when I use my auto brakes routinely?
Hi and welcome to the forums. I can't help you much regarding your west coast search but can tell you that your 2000 Safari does have electric brakes.

Assuming that your brake control is working and you have the proper wiring on your tow vehicle, you should have brakes. You can do a quick check by using the manual brake control feature on your controller to activate the trailer brakes without stepping on the brake pedal. Do this maybe on a parking lot or untraveled street while driving at low speed.

If you don't feel those brakes grab, you might want to go by a local dealer and have your tow vehicle and trailer checked out.

Regards,

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Oops, Wrong Coast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhoffman2

I'm not that familiar with Northern California, but I'd be more concerned with tires than brakes. After 5 years if you didn't cover them, you'll have sidewall checking and dry rot. They could blow if driven for any length of time... and will blow if you drive at any speed sufficient to heat them up. Airstreams Love to go on the road, so why not have yours serviced and then take it out to different areas until you find your perfect getaway. Draw a bullseye around your location, then work your way out in 10 mile increments. I've met several folks who do most of their camping in one or two locations, but then take a "vacation" and spend a weekend at an alternative venue. Seems like a good plan to me.

You might have as much fun searching as you do finding a new place to camp.

Tin Lizzie
Old 11-22-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
Hi,
I just did a quick Google maps search and there are many places north over the Golden Gate. Lots of state beaches and parks. Check out this site for CA state parks. Also what brake controller are you using? Is it the one that is built in on the F250 or a 3rd party add on?
-Ken