Old 09-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
Dino & Mike
Currently Looking...
Northridge , California
RV noob in SoCal-Avid Tenters-buying 16' AS

Hi Everyone: I've found so much good info on this forum for weeks now, that I've finally joined.

We are 2 guys who've enjoyed tent camping (hiking, elaborate outdoor meals, mostly in Yosemite High Country and Death Valley) for 3 decades but age has caught up to us and we are tired of getting up at 3pm to pee in 38 degrees against a tree hoping no one else in nearby tents hear us .

Going for a 16' Bambi Sport to buy early next year and plan to still go to camp sites without hook ups most of the time since we truly enjoy being outdoors and don't need or watch TV while camping. The AS is for sleeping and toilet and a home for all the camping stuff we normally box up in our car. HOWEVER: Until reading this forum, I never realized the beautiful places you can boondock for 2-3 days with an AS battery and a small solar setup! And here I thought it was all about the bathroom and shower!!

Going to buy the new Honda Ridgeline 4WD with 5000lb towing. It will also be our daily driver and garage parked, so a bigger truck wont work for us and hope this setup will work at least few years until we find we want to go bigger.

We've never towed anything before, so GVWR, tongue weight, WD and electric breaks are totally new to us but I feel I found the best place for help and encouragement. Thanks!

"Life a is banquet, and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death" ...Auntie Mame
Trailer_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Someone will chime in about the nice tow vehicle but welcome to Airstream and the forum.

You will have so much fun, in addition, to not needing to carry a shovel to the bathroom, dressing standing up, not wondering why your sleeping pad is deflated, not touching your tent sides and not wondering how come the ground gets harder each year.

Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Especially the harder ground issue.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:07 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Southaven , Mississippi
Welcome to the forums.
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
You will have a blast! Good attitude!
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2005 30' Classic
Zionsville , Indiana
I'm a noob too, but went big, 30' classic. My only TV issue is the garage at work, in which my GMC clears by about 1/2" (note to self, do not overinflate tires). I've been a tent camper for ever, as a Boy Scout, Scout Master and with my family. My wife was never interested until I got her out once, now she loves it. It took me two years to get her out of a tent and into a TT. Every time we would look at other brands of trailers she would say, if I want cheap press-board walls, I can go to Motel 6, I want my tent.

Of course, for the same reasons you note plus the work of setting tents, hauling water, and the various other tent camping gear needed, I wanted a TT. Finally, we looked at a 25 year old AS and her first comment, "oh, I could do one of these". 25 years old and beat up and she liked it, go figure.

Anyway, we eventually purchased a 2005 30' Classic. There is a ton to learn and more maintenance than you have on your home without wheels, but no more setting up tents.

You noted in your post, off the grid camping, read carefully the posts on quiet generators (like Honda) vs solar. We camp in the mid west in the summer (read HOT) so like AC, which does not run on solar.

rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I would look at the Sport 22 also. It falls within your tow vehicle specs.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Dino & Mike
Currently Looking...
Northridge , California
Originally Posted by rpenczek View Post
There is a ton to learn and more maintenance than you have on your home without wheels, but no more setting up tents.
How true that is: I kinda started seeing that by reading this forum (battery maintenance, tire pressure, weight distribution, fresh grey black tank maintenance) who knew?

Thanks all for the well wishes and warm welcome. I've started a word-file of tips and tricks I copy from different posts and look forward to a rewarding and fun experience.
"Life a is banquet, and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death" ...Auntie Mame
Trailer_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Are your trips mostly 2-3 days, in state and national parks?

That's easy to manage without solar or a generator. We go 4 or more days easily. I did update the battery to two 6volt Lifelines. Fresh water is usually the limiting factor.

The 16', 19', and 22' can fit in pretty much any tent site. A really deluxe upgrade from a tent!
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Welcome to the forums.

As a PP stated, IMHO a 22' would be a nice upgrade, especially for two adults. The 16' is really good for one person.

The Honda Ridgeline is a really neat 7/8" truck; just make sure you maintain the 4wd and transmission properly. Also a must have mod to the VCM in your truck is the VCMuzzler.

Trust me, it is the best cheapest modification your truck will ever need.

Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote