Old 10-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
RV campground planning tips and tricks

Well we have ordered our Airstream. Expecting delivery in a couple of months. I have started going to school on how to get the most out of our Airstream and vacations on this forum... There is a ton of data.

My Newbie question is how do folks go about planning their long distance RV trips. For example, we want to head down to Florida in March about a 24 hour drive we plan to do over two or three days, Stay at a resort for a week and then do the trek back. I am interested in hearing about how folks plan their stops. What parks to stay at. What rates and services should be expected. etc..... Are there any rv guides folks would recommend.

Any info is truly apprciated.

Mifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
The AAA guides (called "Campbooks") are a wealth of information as well as the Trailer Life RV Parks and Campgrounds Directory. Florida has several publications the are excellent. There is a lot of info online. One site is Almost all states have State Parks online. It is hard to go wrong with a state park. If you can't find the Florida guides send me a PM and I can probably help you. Most Florida RV parks fill up in the winter but by March you might be OK. That is a lot of miles to cover in 3 days towing a trailer!

mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Welcome to the forums!

We like the Woodalls directory, partly because it lists commercial, state, and municipal campgrounds (when it knows about them). The Woodalls information is also available at their web site, RV Campgrounds, RV Camping, RV Rentals, RV Parks, RV Resorts - Woodalls

Somewhat surprisingly in this day and age, there doesn't seem to be any one directory that lists all, or even most, campgrounds.

When traveling cross country we have found it doesn't pay to plan too far ahead. We like to be parked before dark and with road construction, etc. you can't always make as many miles in a day as you would like. Besides, a relaxed trip is much more fun, and you can stop and see "sights of opportunity" along the way.

Around mid-afternoon we dig out the directories we carry in the tow vehicle (Woodalls, Trailer Life, and KOA) and look for something near where we will be in a couple of hours. Then call them on the cell phone to make sure that we can get in there.

I'll second the recommendation for RV Park Reviews :: Home . The reviews seem to be pretty accurate in most cases and they know about some parks the directories miss.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. The 27FB is a great plan. We have a 2005 25FB, named Lucy. We have spent over 740 nights in her, and have towed her almost 70,000 miles.

We find our campgrounds almost exclusively on RV Campgrounds, RV Camping, RV Rentals, RV Parks, RV Resorts - Woodalls. They also have a printed book, but we prefer on-line info. Sometimes we pick overnight stops from signs on the road. We also overnight at truck stops or Wal-Marts on occasion.

Some Airstreamers plan every stop including lunch and bathroom breaks. That's not us. Sometimes, we get off the beaten path and visit places and attractions not on the most direct route to our target destination. One one occasion, we made an overnight stop at a campground in Ranchester, Wyoming. We ended up spending a week there, exploring the Bighorn National Forest.

If we hit a campground, we look for 5 point hook-ups. You can usually expect to pay $30-40 for full hook-ups. Keep in mind that in some areas, campgrounds are considered lodging, and the campsite is subject to a local bed tax, which can run the tax up to 10 or 12 percent.

Safe travels with your new baby.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
We tend to do more planning for short, week-end trips. I make reservations for all of these trips. I also so more meal planning as we usually eat breakfast and dinner at the campground.

We are much more flexible on longer trips and often make detours if we see something that sparks our interest. We usually don't make advance reservations on these trips unless we are headed to Disney. We get the AAA camping guides and use the "where to" function on our GPS to find campgrounds. We call from the road to make sure there are vacancies. We have also stayed at Flying J for quick overnight stays.
nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
florida in march is still pretty packed until the last week of the month. if you have a destination in mind, i'd call as soon as possible to see what their bookings are like when you expect to be there. the economy has made some places more available.

especially if you're new to all this, i'd plan more than 3 days. nyc to miami took me almost 22 hours by car and i ate on the run and i have a good bladder. also my speed was just let's say 'optimal your fuel stops will probably take longer than mine. pushing that hard took almost all the fun out of the ride. you'll have less daylight at that time of the years and it is also easier if you hit a campground before dusk.
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Originally Posted by Mifair View Post
...about a 24 hour drive we plan to do over two or three days, Stay at a resort for a week and then do the trek back. I am interested in hearing about how folks plan their stops...Any info is truly apprciated.
All of the previous info is good - don't drive for more than 6 hours - short days and potentially bad weather - 400 miles a day is an attainable goal.

Airstreaming is supposed to be fun and relaxing - not a 24 hour endurance marathon.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Reading campground reviews makes me want to stay home. Don't happy people write reviews? Either most of the reviews I read are dump jobs or most campgrounds are pits. I've camped a lot and never had one bad experience. In the 90's my wife and I took multiple three week camping trips all over the country and I never wrote anybody down in all that time. Bill Clinton was president during that time. Hmmmmm
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
We work hard on meal planning before leaving home so that we eat well (and quickly) on travel days. Stews, ragouts, and other "one-pot" meals are our favorites for dinners but we have good breakfasts ready to go as well -- waffles cooked ahead and frozen, hard-cooked eggs, etc. Packing food and beverages for the trip is a big effort for us, requiring lots of planning and ahead-of-time preparation. But we enjoy that aspect of camping. We love our rest stop lunches and a great coq au vin for dinner after a long day on the road is just wonderful. Bon appetite! -- John
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
When travelling either to Florida or Arizona from Ontario in the winter, we generally stop for a free overniter at "Flying J" truckstops. Check on their website and you will find a map showing all of them.

Its not so much to save the money, just so convenient to pull in, stop, no check in, no unhooking, nada, eat at their buffet, fill up with diesle in teh am and hit the road again!

We very seldom make reservations for Feb. or March and rarely have trouble.

Generally we tend not to stay more than a week or two at any one place. We have found that other than an overnight stop while traveling though, we don't usually stop for less than three nights in order to be worth setting up camp.

A place we enjoy in Florida and have been to quite a few times is the Royal Coachmen at Nokomis which is just north of Venice on the Gulf Coast.

Beware that campgrounds on the keys are now pretty pricy - I think because many have been sold for the land to put up condos so there are not that many available - you could easily pay $100+ a night.

I think Florida is probably among the more expensive places to camp. We often go to Arizona (Tucson) and enjoy it a lot. It is less expensive.

The Rio Grande Valley - places like Brownsville & McLean - in Texas are even less expensive, but we did try in once and didn't care for the area so much - many folks do though.

Hope you have a great trip!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Here's a great Web site devoted to listing just about all Federal, State, and local campgrounds, about 10,000 are claimed !

ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more

I like it because they list the Lat/Lon of each location so you can load it in your GPS if you wish...

They also have an 'AP' for iPhone, iTouch, & iPads if you want this data 'on the go'...

When you look at a place that interests you, you can also switch to the Sat view, topo, etc. and zoom in to check out the area as well - look for the menu in the upper, RH side of the map window...

Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
First you decide how far you want to drive in a day. I usually only drive 250 or so miles, use mapquest or google maps and find out where that will take me. Scope out the campgrounds and make reservations. Works pretty well, and I plan in sight seeing and other excursions in that city.

Planning travel in Florida in the winter is essential. Campground reservations are booked a year in advance and state parks are especially packed until the beginning of April.

Have fun planning and enjoy the sights!
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
Certainly Blessed
1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
I am interested in this as well. We are taking the AS to Fort Wilderness at WDW from OKC in March. Even though I am a complete over planner, I am a bit intimidated by planning this one.

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Originally Posted by Mifair View Post
My Newbie question is how do folks go about planning their long distance RV trips.
There are many resources and many approaches. No one book or web site lists everything with the smaller, lower cost campgrounds being particularly hard to find.

I use extensively although it is important to realize that reviewer's tastes and sensitivities differ.

Otherwise for campgrounds generally there are state-by-state resources that are free and fairly comprehensive. Woodalls charges campground operators for listings and so the smaller more modest parks aren't in there. In particular free or low cost municipal and county parks don't show up. Those are especially hard to smoke out.

It is important to be sensitive to peak periods and to understand when a reservation is required and when it is just an extra nuisance and expense. I prefer to travel without reservations but usually call ahead to gauge availability.

With a longer trip I prefer to make some stops at campgrounds with full hookups so we can get caught up on showers and things but then I travel with three children. That changes the character of the places that I stay.

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

rv planning