Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2010, 07:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
starting a journal will be helpful. you might want to use some of the same places on the return or on future trips. good/bad places to stop for fuel can be a help too.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
Camping Heaven

Any camping is "good" camping. You have quite a few great spots in Ontario.
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifair View Post
Thanks for all the wonderfull suggestions and advise.
It occurred to me that when we leave in March, temps in my area can fall below zero until we reach the central U.S. What do folks do about plumbing? And probably more importantly what about up return in March.

I have read that leaving the heating system on will ensure pipes dont freeze. I dont think I want to that.
Is the idea that you forgoe using the water system until you know there is no risk of freezing and upon your return to be prepared to winterize the plumbing system.

Thanks

MIFAIR
We leave the plumbing antifreeze in the trailer for the first night. We try to drive far enough south on day one to get to a Flying J where it is warm enough to sleep in the trailer without running the furnace all night - but we still leave the plumbing antifreeze in the trailer. We just use the "facilities" at the Flying J, but if in need of a midnight "pee" use the trailer toilet and flush it with a little antifreeze that we carry in a jug.

Second night out we generally stop at a regular campground and one of our first chores is to flush all the antifreeze out of the plumbing system.

We normally target to be home on 01 April. If we head into cold weather on the way home, I will put antifreeze back in the plumbing just before we hit the border.

If its warm, we just carry on home with water in the pipes - but once home, before we take the trailer to its storage location I put antifreeze back in the plumbing system as we could still get a cold snap in April. Its probably not necessary, but I' a worry-wart!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #24
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Hi Brian & Connie
Enjoyed your comments . Some day after a retire I might head down Florida way!!!
Starting to get tired of the snow!!!
Your about a stones throw away from me .(Kidding)
Happy Camping
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv planning