Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Campground tips and tricks

Since we are new to A/S camping we decided to use all the references we could find listed above. Then we chose to stop and visit campgrounds in areas close to home or in areas that we visit all the time. That allowed us to drive the family sedan through campgrounds looking at sites before we brought the whole traveling circus on the road.

We looked at whether hookups required longer than usual electric cord and sewer hose, distance to bath houses, possibility of noise and so forth. Was our camp site located next to the jungle gym? Were there multiple sites in a little trailor slum? Was the site a pull-through or was it within our capabilities to spot the A/S or were we in tight quarters?

This is all fun stuff and a good way to send our minds camping as we planned for the next long weekend. Most of our camping will continue be for long weekends with (we hope) the occasional longer trip. By checking some campgrounds in advance we have been able to reserve the exact site we preferred after our earlier exploratory visit.

Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
Thanks for all the wonderfull suggestions and advise.
It occurred to me that when we leave in March, temps in my area can fall below zero until we reach the central U.S. What do folks do about plumbing? And probably more importantly what about up return in March.

I have read that leaving the heating system on will ensure pipes dont freeze. I dont think I want to that.
Is the idea that you forgoe using the water system until you know there is no risk of freezing and upon your return to be prepared to winterize the plumbing system.

Thanks

MIFAIR

Old 10-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #17
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
You're talking below 0 C, right? That's below 32 F here.

Anyway, a few degrees below 0 C at night shouldn't pose a problem as long as the heat is on in the trailer. I've just returned from a camping trip where we had several nights of that.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifair View Post
It occurred to me that when we leave in March, temps in my area can fall below zero until we reach the central U.S. What do folks do about plumbing? And probably more importantly what about up return in March.

I have read that leaving the heating system on will ensure pipes dont freeze. I dont think I want to that.
Is the idea that you forgoe using the water system until you know there is no risk of freezing and upon your return to be prepared to winterize the plumbing system.

Thanks

MIFAIR
Hi, in really cold weather, make sure you top off or fill your propane tanks just before you get there. If you have to run your furnace 24 hrs a day, [never above freezing temps] like we did, it goes pretty quick. My water hose froze about four times; I haven't bought a heated hose yet. We had a great time in South Dakota in October. Since the water hose froze, we were lucky that I kept water in the fresh tank and have a water pump for flushing and washing.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #19
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Reserve America dot Com

We love state parks. We've camped at several in and around the southeast. Many state parks, Corp of Engineer campgrounds, other Federal parks and many KOA's and similar commercial parks/resorts can be identified and reserved through

www.reserveamerica.com

We also use Woodall's online (I think this was mentioned in a previous post)

www.woodalls.com

We cook several food items in advance that can be mixed and matched to make various meals. Think about things that don't have to be heated - a nice salad with cold grilled chicken comes to mind. I don't mind the cold chicken at all... tastes great with a variety of dressing, and add-on items like nuts, croutons, tomatoes, carrots....

Unless we have specific stops in mind we simply look at Woodalls or some similar directory to find easy overnight spots.

See Ya Down the Road

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We use Woodalls (Trailer Life is published by the same company, so they may duplicate each other), AAA (or CAA in your case) Campbooks, state or provincial books about campgrounds, RV Park Reviews on the internet, and some dumb luck. The Forum can be a source of recommendations.

Public recommendations on the internet require some translation. Some people like everything, some don't. I look for facts rather than unsupported opinions, or if everyone doesn't like a place, it's probably good to avoid it.

You will make mistakes as you discover what fits you, and even then you can pick a really bad campground or restaurant, pick really good ones without knowing how you did it. Like everything, this takes some learning. We started out with a short trip (300 miles round trip), then a longer one (2,000 miles); a year later, 6,000 miles; this year, 10,250 miles.

As for winter, some people keep furnaces running to heat the fresh water tank while driving, some don't. We've been out in temps down to 20˚F without running the furnace during the day and had no problem. The movement of the trailer must have kept the water from freezing. Have the furnace running when you are stopped if it's that cold. Overnight, temps have to go below 28-29˚ to start freezing without running the furnace, but that's only if it's overnight. Any longer, and water will freeze. Keep cabinet doors open to circulate heat to the pipes. We disconnect the hoses when we think it will be below freezing. A frozen hose is hard to roll up and store. A heated hose is for long term camping.

Maybe Aage will chime in. He lives in Ottawa and used to live near Toronto (I think), and he understands traveling to Florida when it's cold.

Gene
Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
starting a journal will be helpful. you might want to use some of the same places on the return or on future trips. good/bad places to stop for fuel can be a help too.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
Camping Heaven

Any camping is "good" camping. You have quite a few great spots in Ontario.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifair View Post

Thanks

MIFAIR
We leave the plumbing antifreeze in the trailer for the first night. We try to drive far enough south on day one to get to a Flying J where it is warm enough to sleep in the trailer without running the furnace all night - but we still leave the plumbing antifreeze in the trailer. We just use the "facilities" at the Flying J, but if in need of a midnight "pee" use the trailer toilet and flush it with a little antifreeze that we carry in a jug.

Second night out we generally stop at a regular campground and one of our first chores is to flush all the antifreeze out of the plumbing system.

We normally target to be home on 01 April. If we head into cold weather on the way home, I will put antifreeze back in the plumbing just before we hit the border.

If its warm, we just carry on home with water in the pipes - but once home, before we take the trailer to its storage location I put antifreeze back in the plumbing system as we could still get a cold snap in April. Its probably not necessary, but I' a worry-wart!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #24
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Hi Brian & Connie
Enjoyed your comments . Some day after a retire I might head down Florida way!!!
Starting to get tired of the snow!!!
Your about a stones throw away from me .(Kidding)
Happy Camping

Tags
rv planning