Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #1

Russ and Norma

We are new to this site. We are looking at retiring at the end of this year and are in the market for a 85-95, 25-29' Airstream. Something we can effectively pull with our 1/2 Ton Suburban. One of the very early trips will be to Alaska, through Glacier park in Montana.
We are presently living in the Chicagoland area, but are natives to Nebraska, the good life, and hope to spend more time in the country.
leon1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Russ, Norma,

Congratulations! and welcome to Airstreamforums. I will probably see you somewhere as I plan to make the same Montana/Canada/Alaska trip.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have some great trips planned already. Good luck in your hunt for the perfect trailer!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Welcome to the forums and good luck in your search for your coach. I suspect with a 1/2 ton you will want to get a coach closer to 25 ft than one closer to 30.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Welcome

Hope you find the Airstream of your dreams, Good Luck. That first trip will be a great one, I'm sure.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums from just North of the border. You have some wonderful state parks in Illinois to explore and may find you do not need to drive far for good camping. Good luck in your search. I will be happy to help you with inspection advise, or just another opinion if you find a trailer in this area.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Welcome aboard. I think you are going to like Airstreaming a lot. Take your time looking for a trailer and don't just "settle" because it is cheap or close by or... There are lots of really bright folks on this forum (I'm not one of them but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express!) and their collective wisdom is very helpful.

As for tow vehicles -- that is a never-ending debate hereabouts -- I tow with a Nissan Titan, a half-ton pickup, and I am pulling a 31' Sovereign. Have had no problems so far. Wouldn't enter the Pike's Peak Climb but....

Towing equipment is another never-ending debate (as it should be). Some wil never set out without $3k worth of Hensley Hitch and others swear they can tow with a Wal-Mart bumper hitch. All I can say is read, read, read the posts and ponder... If you can, you might mosey by a WBCCI or AIR rally and talk to real, live people (that's what we did).

Again, welcome aboard.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Welcome to the forum and to the A/S World of Oz .
We are pulling a 25' Safari and have just upgraded our TV from a 1'2t 1500 Dodge Ram w/ a 3:55 transmissiom, to a 2500 GMC HD with a 4:10 & tow package. While we had no problems with the !/2t, we were always in the flatlands of the Midwest. Now We will be heading to the mountains & wanted a bigger TV for the safety factor. Like you we are planning next year to head to the Last Frontier. From experiance I would opt to said to go with a little bigger TV, than what you may feel you need. 1/2 T well??? As always at the end, it will be your call.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote