Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Rookies from So. Cal

We are brand new owners of a '04 CCD International. Thrilled out of our minds with our new child. But, now that the search is over and we own it, we are petrified. Would love to find some support out there. Where do we know where to stay? Want to drive to northern Idaho. Love some advice.
TheOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!!

Welcome and congratulations.. You'll usually get at least as much help as you can stand here, sometimes more...

Several favorite trips for new members..

1. Learn to use "Search" tab in blue bar above.. Type in key word, like Idaho or checklists, and stuff will appear like magic
2. Feel comfortable sending side messages if apropriate to members, as either e-mails or private messages.. Thousands of members, many have been where you're going, or have made boo boo's you're going to make...
3. Ask almost anything Airstream related... I've been astounded by stuff SOMEBODY knows here....

As for Idaho, we traveled up from Northern CA through Portland and along Columbia River Gorge, crossed into Washington south of Richland, and then drove through Spokane to Couer d' Alene. Got to stop at resort there, though Trailer parking a problem.. We then headed up to Canadian Border, and there are a number of campgrounds and recreation areas along the highway (US 95) in areas around Priest Lake and Sandpoint.. We continued on into Canada at Kingsport (wide spot in Road, single lane Customs & Immigration) and had great time in Canadian Rockies, which is easy to do with Airstream as well..

As for finding places, everyone has a style.. We tend to keep a KOA and Woodall's Campground Directory in the car, and start thinking around 4PM of where we might stay, and either drive in or call on cell phone to see how things are looking. Rarely had problems, except for major hoidays or events...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new "child." My suggestion as where to camp is Wisconsin. You will love our state parks, the scenery and history. An added bonus is two Great Lakes for the price of one.
Good luck to you and I wish you many happy and safe camping trips.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
use the search Luke

TheOBB,
As suggested plug this string into the search link: Cheap or Free in Idaho. You should get a Bob Thompson thread (one of his famous "Cheap or Free" posts).
Enjoy,
KL
Old 04-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Hi TheOBB and welcome. I know my tag shows I'm in Canton Tx but I'm in San Francisco. We love to camp in state parks. California State parks are fantastic as well as those in Ariz., N.M. and Tx. I bet those in Idaho are also. It may be a matter of taste but to us, the Nat., State and local Parks are way superior to the commercial places. Good luck on your trip. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
SANTA BARBARA , California
Hi there,
Welcome and congrats! I too have an airstream in Carp! I will make sure and invite you to my airstream bash this summer! If there is anything I can help you with, feel free to contact me!
Silversurfer
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:54 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Carp Airstream

Hey neighbor, thanks for the reply. Looking forward to some good trips this summer. Thanks for the summer invite!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:57 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info. I think you've got it right. We have been on one outing and that was our experience, as well. Appreciate your reply.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Rivet member

What determines a "Rivet" member? I meant to ask you that on the last email. I can't determine what/how/why people have this distinct labeling?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOBB

What determines a "Rivet" member? I meant to ask you that on the last email. I can't determine what/how/why people have this distinct labeling?
It iw based on the number of posts you have made to the forum. Check out this thread for more information... http://www.airforums.com/forum...etc-20497.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Rivets

Now I get it!!! Complete rookie, but learning curve is starting to grow thanks to this great website. Any suggestions on uploading a picture of our new baby on? I am using jpg format, but when I have uploaded it says "file is invalid". Am I missing something here? Many Thanks for your time.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Photos?

There are searchable threads for photo uploading, but short version is that picture must be small jpeg file to be able to upload.

Depending on your photo editing skills, you will need to either shrink it in dimensions or save it in photoshop or something similar at lower quality levels (or maybe both..) until it meets criteria here for roughly 600 by 600 pixels. When you get it small enough, it will be uploadable...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 06-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
OBB, We are 6 days away from delivery andbeing where you were. Any hints you can pass on? Have you been by chance ever heard of Reg's Rod an Reel club in Carp?
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
OBB, We are 6 days away from delivery andbeing where you were. Any hints you can pass on? Have you been by chance ever heard of Reg's Rod an Reel club in Carp?
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:14 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Have fun camping!

Welcome!

You will have a great time camping. Lots of good info already on this thread! Where you camp and what you do will certainly depend on your own personal preference. If you always want a hot shower, lots of water, to be able to run your air conditioner, etc. you will want to stay in a commercial camp ground. Many of them offer a great deal of amenities. If beauty and quiet is primary, then you will probably want to stay at the state parks, National Forest campgrounds, or other public access sites. Go to any good bookstore and you will find lots of camping guides that will help you find places to stay. Be sure and check out the camping threads on the forum as was suggested earlier. They have some great information!

If you don't have to travel and hit 13 states in 4 days, I suggest you find roads that are off the Interstate... you will enjoy the drive much more and find you can "slow down" and take life a little easier when you are on Airstream time. It depends on when and where you are going, but maps will become good friends.

Take lots of little trips like overnighters and all to work out all the "bugs" in traveling in your 'stream... with practice you will know what you want to take with you and what you don't need as well as where you want to stay.

Have fun and enjoy!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:33 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

State Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlover
Hi TheOBB and welcome. I know my tag shows I'm in Canton Tx but I'm in San Francisco. We love to camp in state parks. California State parks are fantastic as well as those in Ariz., N.M. and Tx. I bet those in Idaho are also. It may be a matter of taste but to us, the Nat., State and local Parks are way superior to the commercial places. Good luck on your trip. joe
You are absolutelly right on. We took 101 all the way up to Washington and we were delighted with our stops in State Parks. The commercial places are not great. We are in Great Falls, MT in Rick's RV "joint" it leaves a lot to be desired.....guess we're lucky to be sitting right off a highway with fireworks going off and periodic fire trucks and paramedics competing with the fireworks show on the 4th.....where else could we be?

Thanks for your response.
The OBB
Old 07-05-2006, 02:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Talking about California State Parks, has anyone stayed at Patricks Point State Park? Planning a trip this fall, any info would be appreciated.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:40 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Hi TimeMachine: I see you are a neighbor. We are in Rossmoor, just north of you. We camp regularly down at San Elijo (for surfing), as well as Doheny, San Clemente, and then up north (Morro Bay). As to Patricks Point, yes we have camped there but a very long time ago. The campground as I recall got my attention as being very green, great sites, sea life nearby. A must.

Now getting out of town is another matter. I have found leaving at 5:00 am on Sunday about the only option anymore. Thoughts?

Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Patrick's Point...

We stayed across the road at Emerald Forest RV Campground last year, as we couldn't find space in State Park on short notice over 4th of July week. We did drive in and around, and spaces are good, and beach offers great scenery and long hike down and up on dirt path.. Smaller campers would have easier time of it. Lot of folks searching for agates and other interesting rocks on beach. Emerald Forest also has cabins, and is nice, but a little close to main highway.

We also headed into town and down to boat launch pier, where there is good restaurant also, as well as place to park and visit second beach.

John McG

Old 07-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
OpenHigher and Condoluminum.

Thanks for the info on Patricks point.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote