Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Flagstaff , Arizona
Rookie from Flagstaff, AZ!

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for weeks, but have now purchased my first AS: a 1963 Overlander whose exterior is in great shape. She is being delivered to me next weekend, and I'm both nervous and excited. Our plan is to park her permanently under a large overhang beside our new barn. She will be my home office, which will also double as a 3 season guest house.

As I go through, I'm sure I'll have a MILLION questions so you'll be hearing from me again... I know I'm interested in learning about putting an AS on a permanent or semi-permanent foundation, as well as learning how to best modernize the electrical given that I will be permanently hooking up to shore power & city water. (yay for the barn having both of these!).

I'm also looking for the relative merits of regular black tank with Sewer Solution, vs composting toilet (Nature's Head).

Any and all comments and suggestions will be entertained! I need to have a functioning home office come November, but expect longer term renos to continue... probably forever

Nice to meet you!

-Ali
Joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We'll be in Flag around the middle of Sept. and stay until the snow flies, would be glad to give you any help/suggestions.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
i just gotta ask...why?
i mean wouldn't be easier to use the existing over hang and frame in an office/guest house? i can certainly understand the allure of having an airstream trailer, but if it's going to be stuck under an overhang and made permanent i guess i have a hard time understanding the point.
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Flagstaff , Arizona
Hi Cojer, I can tell we're going to be great friends Come on, where is your sense of fun? If it were all about "easier", I'd just build my office/guest house INTO the barn. Nah, it's about the trailer: Ever since visiting the Shady Dell Park in Bisbee, AZ, I've wanted to have an airstream guesthouse. Sure, some will disagree with having her made permanent (or semi-permanently non-traveling, at least) but I think it's going to be a really fun and funky place to work!

Mike: I'm excited to meet you when you make it down here! Shoot me a pm when you are here!

-Ali
Joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfulgirl View Post
Ever since visiting the Shady Dell Park in Bisbee, AZ, I've wanted to have an airstream guesthouse.
Prolly the coolest rv park we've ever been to!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Fountain Valley , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Leprechauna
Joyful! I would love to chat more with you. I too desire a used AS to eventually use as a guest house. I lived in the Phoenix area for about 23 yrs, and would like to retire in the Flagstaff area eventually. I will be driving my little CRZ hybrid up your way from Huntington Beach, probably in October to see Mayer, Prescott, Flag and Seligmen. ( not looking for a place to flop, don't worry,)but I would love to check out your remodel. How exciting for you.

My dream house : Tiki style retro AS! I would install torches by the front door.
Leprechauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
no no i can understand having an airstream for any purpose! believe me. and i'm not one to condemn if you decide not to keep it all original either. wally came up with a great idea and they're great trailers. but i don't have any shrines set up for the guy. i think you should have fun with it anyway you can. i just think maybe you should consider making it so she can roll out on the road if you ever get the itch rather than permanently anchoring it down somewhere...maybe pour a pad, get power and sewer run out there, set up a skirt around her...make it look permanent but still road worthy..cause what happens if you decide, or are forced to move someday?...ya never know when godzilla may rise up out of the desert and eat flagstaff!....just sayin'
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote