Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mifflinburg , Pennsylvania
Rolling Honeymoon Suite/Fishing Lodge

Hey Gang! Just a short note of introduction.

My fiance, Samantha, and I are in our early 30s and ready to start our married traveling life in a TT. For 3.5 years we've been doing the car camping/Tumble Inn version of seeing the country, and it's time to step up to a coach. We're both from the Northeast, and have been working on a big construction project on the New Mexico/Texas border. The small oil-patch city we live in doesn't hold a lot of charm for us, so most weekends we try to get out of town. We've been all over NM, CO and other parts of the West, either tent camping, sleeping in the Suburban, or crashing in a mom-and-pop motel for a few days. All well and good, but for the amount of travel we do, we think an Airstream makes a lot of sense as an investment in US.

So with that in mind, we've been doing our research into a vintage trailer. We've decided to go with an older coach for a number of reasons, mostly financial. The forum has proven to be an excellent resource, bolstering the knowledge I already have from being a kid from a family that had a succession of campers. Here's a big 'thank you' to all the members for having the sense of community to pass along all your hard won knowledge.

Most of our searching has been into 20'-22' TTs, and Argosies seem to fit our needs/wants perfectly.

The hope is to find the right coach for the right price before our wedding in early October. Samantha and I couldn't imagine a better honeymoon than heading back west from Pennsylvania and taking a leisurely trip in an Airstream. With one ear on the weather band radio, the plan is to visit Yellowstone and head south to New Mexico from there.

As I assumed when we started dreaming, the financing has been the biggest challenge. Sam and I both make excellent money, but our cash - for the moment - is tied up in home improvements and wedding expenses. (We're being married at our 1860's farm in central PA.) And, as expected, it's easier to finance a brand new or late model AS than it is to borrow $10K for a 70's-era Argosy. We'd have cash in hand the day after our wedding, but we'd like to have a coach and do a shake down trip or two before spending 3 weeks on the road. We still have our fingers crossed that we'll happen across the right trailer that's in the hands of a dealership or find a lovely seller willing to self-finance for us.

Yeah, we know.

Any and all help pre- and post-purchase will be appreciated. And once we're set up, we hope to contribute back to the forum that has already been a tremendous help to us.

Be well, and safe travels,
Ryan and Samantha
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There's an Airstream Only campground in NW Pennsylvania - Penn Woods. Happy hunting ground for gently used Airstreams and Argosies!

Paula

Use the engagement ring as security on a trailer?

http://www.airforums.com/reviews/sho...uct=216&cat=33
Old 07-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mifflinburg , Pennsylvania
Good lead Paula!

As for the engagement ring as collateral ... the ring Sam wanted was a simple, handmade silver job by a local silversmith. Its 'stone' is a little ball of silver. $60. Ha. She wanted to put whatever I would have spent on a traditional 'sparkly' ring into our historic home restoration.

You should see our bathroom! Ha!

God I love this woman!

R
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote