Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Rightsizing, a journey - 25FB Classic to 30 Classic to 27FB International Serenity

Rightsizing, a journey - 25FB Classic to 30 Classic to 27FB International Serenity
Thought I would post some thoughts as to my latest (and hopefully final) Airsteam purchase for the next “decade” (fingers crossed) and for those that may know me over the years on this forum, an explanation to my recent Avatar and Signature changes.
Now – I’m trying to keep this short and sweet but hopefully a few old timers here will remember some of these stories…
Now for those that have been around this forum for a few years might remember my tale (or tales). The tales of a man who after meticulous research and calculations first purchased an Airstream 25fb Classic which he towed all over the country with his Volkswagen TDI Touareg but with restrictions. Careful, all so carful as to not load up the T-Rex or place too much weight within the Airstream over the front hitch due to being on the edge of my “20 percent” safety envelope.
The same individual who purchased a 2011 F-350 so to have “plenty of room” to bring whatever he wanted (remember – only Airstreaming for about 1 ½ years right now) and with an incredible offer made of his 25fb Classic (disc brakes and all) migrated to a larger 30 foot Airstream to make better use of the F-350. Bigger is better, right? Well, not for all folks…
Two years later and some good adventures (four years streaming all over the country) – I realized the 30 Airstream for one guy and his lady was just too big while due to 50amp power requirements forced to always hang out with the “Big Guys” at the RV resorts and losing the ability to fit into the awesome spots the 25fb used to fit into (plus my living room was no longer in the back of the Airstream – usually where the best views are – see our discussion few years back about FB vs. standard Airstream layouts), I got to thinking…
That thinking coupled along with the thoughts of my mighty F-350, greatest tow vehicle on earth although a bit too big to use for my needs other than towing the Airstream (daily driver she is not), the poor girl usually stayed home unless the Airstream was connected – and overkill for a 27fb (plus the comfort of the new F-150’s, EcoBoost engines, mileage, what a difference over the F-350 King Ranch)…
Right tool for the job keeps coming to mind…
Thus the day of my “epiphany” was just two weeks ago, yet I recall the thought as it entered my mind while looking at my pictures of adventures, both in the 25fb and the 30 Classic – this was when I realized that for my needs, my 25fb was just about perfect, and the one or two complaints I had would be addressed with the 27fb model. LOVED the Serenity International decor the day it was first released (plus the shades, layout, colors – all nicer in my opinion then the Classic decorating style of both my 25fb and 30 Classic). A monster fan of the Eco-Boost F-150 from day one – all got me researching and calculating once again.
Final Decision – after four years of Airstreaming, I finally discovered the PERFECT fit for me – an F-150 EcoBoost Ford connected to a 27fb International in “Serenity” decor with a ProPride connecting the two…
Thus the reason why my Avatar and Signature have now changed, once again – hopefully not to stray for at least the next decade, hopefully more!
Oh and special thanks to Pat at Colonial Airstream where I have purchased my THRID Airstream, Pat, Lauren and David are the best!
More details to slowly follow of my opinionated banter but here are two quick pics to whetting the appetite – forum members beware… J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01airstreampic.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	183464   Click image for larger version

Name:	02airstreampic.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	183465  

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, John; And what will your ultimate combination be next year? For the past eight years, it has been the same 2005 Safari 25-B and the 2000 Lincoln Navigator. We personalized our trailer and remodeled the living room. We still love our trailer. My Lincoln has more than 99,000 miles on it and we have had thoughts of replacing it; Possibly with an Eco-Boost. Maybe next year Ford will boost the 5.0 V-8. Or maybe another slightly used Navigator; The longer one this time? I'm still in the thought process; My reaction time is slightly slower than yours. Anyway, enjoy your new set-up.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
John, I applaud you for your honesty in sharing this journey. Hoping that third time's a charm. It all looks pretty sweet.

By the way, I agree that the first 2 trailers (and even tow vehicles, in my case too) are "educational"...

Tom
Old 04-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, John; And what will your ultimate combination be next year?
Yea - I knew that was coming and deserve it rightly so...

Indecisiveness is usually not my "thing" - but it has taken the experience of heading all over the country accessing RV parks of all types, towing through deserts, mountains and across the plains, slowly distilling the items I take with me on the road and learning how I use a trailer and how it fits my needs to get here to this choice today. From keeping the 30 Classic in one spot for a few months as a beach vacation home to motoring all about the country in both rigs, It really hit home that Airstreams are made to travel and are too expensive and small to use as a cabin in place (that's what those big fifth wheelers are for) and I learned I would rather be in different locations of all these RV parks then tethered via my 50 amp service next to the Monster fifth wheelers and diesel pusher motor homes every time. The FB layout off the 25 was missed more than once in some gorgeous locations while that great tow vehicle was no use to I unless I was towing or could travel somewhere he would fit. The Touareg being a daily driver and its comfort and efficiency (engine perfect match to the 25fb, just not quite stout enough to allow the freedom I required when towing) has been nicely replaced with a F-150. The 27FB has the layout, great weight distribution with very low toung weight for it's size and good match to the wheel base of the F-150. The F-150 comfort and functionality is a great choice for the F-150.

The sad thing is even with all that research and "knowing I had the Solution" - it took 4 years and all that experience to realize what works for me. I'm feeling pretty good I've learned my lessons now and fortunate that I was able to move between hardware without too much pain to the wallet (especially thanks this week to the interest rates being offered today for RV purchase, best in four plus years)....

Old 04-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Oh, what will 2015 hold (this odd year phenomenon): Blue moons or Scheck and a new rig?

Decisiveness is not the issue, but aesthetic has a new hold in ones life, eh? One needn't become the HK (Buzz) Bissinger of the Airstream world after all.

Commentaries are of interest from someone who has seen & used different rig configurations. Experience may not be everything, but it is both coloring and spice for livening up a current production range discussion, TT or TV.

Pre-conceptions and half-formed conceptions are roadblocks for all of us.

Pics?

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Good Morning, John. I'm interested in hearing about your epiphany. We recently seriously considered trading in our dear Lucy for a new Airstream. After much soul searching, we decided that if we were to replace Lucy it would be with a new 25FB just like her. Therefore, we decided that our best move was to do some updating to Lucy. After 1,200+ nights/100,000 miles with our dear girl, we know for sure that the 25FB is the right model for us.

I hope that the 27FB works our perfectly for you. That's a really neat floor plan. I also hope that your new tow vehicle choice fills the bill. That new Ford Eco-Boost is an impressive vehicle.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Welcome back to reality... at least for this year so far. Had to be an expensive lesson, kinda like Goldilocks trying ti find the right fit.

Anyway look forward to you report on your new combo.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I like changes. Our 25 had to go, I didn't like the bed or the head. Donna and I upgraded just enough to correct those issues. Also our son was 10 years old when we bought our 25 and he is now 19 and still likes to camp with us. We went to look at a 28 Flying Cloud but walked away with a 28 Serenity, already had the EcoBoost which made it a no brainier. Didn't realize you need the 50 amp service for the 30 foot trailers. I think you have the perfect combination.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
Congratulations on your purchase! I love my 27FB. Perfect for me particularly for extended travel stays related to work. BTW, I'm just down the street from you in Springfield
lylesgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Let me know if you have uncovered any awesome local RV resorts and for Jim, any RV with two A/C units to include the 27 & 28 require 50 amp service.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Congratulations on the trailer and truck. Everyone has a preference, and sometimes it takes a trailer or two to get there.

This is our second Airstream. We now have about 12 months total use in our FC 25 rear bed and have found it to be a nice balance for travel and comfort. As is our 1/2 ton truck.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Is your new trailer really a 2013? (Inside joke carry over from the 25').

Congrats!

Both truck and trailer look awsome.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Let me know if you have uncovered any awesome local RV resorts and for Jim, any RV with two A/C units to include the 27 & 28 require 50 amp service.

Good to know, I will stay with the little guys.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Is your new trailer really a 2013? (Inside joke carry over from the 25').

Congrats!

Both truck and trailer look awsome.
It's a 2015!