Old 08-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
neptune beach , Florida
rick fail

I'm having trouble introducing myself in the forum I've just ordered and will have a 2018 Tommy Bahama 27FB on Oct 17. would like to know some tips and also will a Toyota Sequoia tow this beast sufficently

rick fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome. Seems you introduced yourself just fine.

What kind of tips are you looking for? You'll find that searching these forums can uncover a treasure trove of information on almost any question you might want to ask.

As for your question on the Sequoia - you'll find opinions on that as well - and quite a range of them.

A quick google search showed the towing capacity from 7000-7400#. That's likely near where your TB may show up loaded for camping. Axle limits and payload are probably going to be at a premium as well. And of course, towing it is one thing. Stopping it is another.

If it were my setup, I'd look for something with more capacity all the way around - but like I said - you'll find a range of opinions on that here.

Most might advise talking to Andy at CanAm in Ontario as he seems to be acknowledged as a towing expert.

Good luck and enjoy the new TB!

SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!!!

First off, does the Toyota have a trailer tow package on it? Things like a trailer brake controller, an adequate receiver, and towing mirrors are all needed. Having them in a factory package is a little easier than running around getting them all put on after the fact.

With any TV choice, start with the numbers. They don't tell the whole story, but they do tell part of it. Trailer max weight is pretty easy. Trailer tongue weight is going to be a guess until you weigh your trailer. If you already have the Toyota, there is a sticker (probably on the driver's door post) that shows it's weight. There are published numbers on how much the axles will carry if it's not on that sticker. Max vehicle weight should be on there. Maximum combined weight of trailer and vehicle is a published number.

Next set of numbers get into the "stuff" you will have along . If it's just you in the Toyota and everything else is in the trailer, that's "good" in terms of Toyota payload. It may not be good for the trailer. If there are six of you and everybody has a kayak on the roof of the Toyota .... not quite so good. Look at your situation and add the stuff all up. Things like the hitch and water in the tanks also add weight, so figure that in as well.

Once you have the numbers, next question is - where are you going? Chugging around in-state a couple times a year is one thing. Multiple trips back and forth to Alaska each year (via San Francisco ... and Portland ME) is a bit different

Biggest tip is to get out and use the new toy !! You will learn far more about what works and what does not work by using the trailer than by any other method. You also will have a lot of fun.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
I tow a 27FB International with a Tundra. No real issues other than a pet peeve with the small gas tank.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Most might advise talking to Andy at CanAm in Ontario as he seems to be acknowledged as a towing expert.
Most? Expert? Acknowledged?
I'm sure Andy's a swell guy, but he's in Ontario and the OP is in Florida. Are you saying there's no competent "towing experts" in the USA?
I love this forum.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Hi Rick, welcome to the forum
You don't say what year your Sequoia is but the 2016 towing capacity is 7,000 to 7,400 lbs. (depending on model and 2WD or 4WD) Maximum tongue weight is 720-740 lbs., according to the Toyota specifications. Here is the pdf download link (or Google "maximum tongue weight on a 2016 sequoia")
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...zIO8sSvbZeLfBw

My 23' tongue weight is supposed to be 630 lbs., but is 730 actually, with very little in the front of the trailer (3/4 of 1 propane tank, other tank empty). The Equalizer hitch puts some of that on the AS and front axle, but I try to keep as much as I can over the AS axles.

The 2018 27' Tommy Bahama hitch weight (with propane and batteries) is 929 lbs. Maximum (GVWR) is 7,600 lbs., and the base weight is 6,396.
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf

Like Steve said, you are right up against your maximum with the Sequoia towing capacity but the tongue weight is about 200+ lbs. over max. No WD hitch is going to shift that much. For safety's sake I think you need to see about swapping out the Sequoia for a Tundra, which can tow much more.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Most? Expert? Acknowledged?

I'm sure Andy's a swell guy, but he's in Ontario and the OP is in Florida. Are you saying there's no competent "towing experts" in the USA?

I love this forum.

Is there a way I can help you exit my throat now that you've jumped down it?

First - I'm not sold on Andy - I'm just reporting that he gets a lot of shout outs here as an acknowledged expert. That doesn't preclude other experts on any location.

Second - if you have someone you'd recommend please feel free to do so. I'm just offering some limited knowledge - share yours as well if you like. I don't pretend to have *the* answer as if such a thing exists...happy camping now....
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you do decide to head up to Ontario for work on your trailer, remember that the whole crew will need passports to get over the US / Canada boarder.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
neptune beach , Florida
Bob thanks for the advise we are rookies and ready to go Marti my wife would like to know the top 10 most important things to know/bring.
rick fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Congratulations on your purchase. And welcome to the boards!

I'm a relatively new member myself. You'll find lots of friendly people, some cranky opinionated people, and everything in between. Nevertheless lots of perspectives and experience to learn from.

I personally don't have a Sequoia, but a LX570 that shares a lot of the same drivetrain. There are many anecdotal stories of people that have had positive experiences from the Sequoia/Tundra/Land Cruiser, towing up to 30ft models. With the Sequoia having some of the better qualities likes long wheel base, better weight distribution (over an empty truck for example), and independent rear suspension.

Given my experience with my LX570, I wouldn't hesitate to tow with a Sequoia. Some key things you can do is to go with one of the better hitches. Go down one aspect ratio in tire size along with LT type tires (over P-metric). And dialing in the proper weight distribution once setup.

It may also make a difference if you're a full timer that travels very heavy. This may warrant a heavier duty tow vehicle. Or potentially suspension/airbags added to your Sequoia.

This is my 27FB Ocean Breeze with my LX570. Cheers!
Click image for larger version

Name:	LXAS.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	293540
pteck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
I personally don't have a Sequoia, but a LX570 that shares a lot of the same drivetrain. There are many anecdotal stories of people that have had positive experiences from the Sequoia/Tundra/Land Cruiser, towing up to 30ft models. With the Sequoia having some of the better qualities likes long wheel base, better weight distribution (over an empty truck for example), and independent rear suspension.

Attachment 293540
Sequoia is based on the Tundra frame, LX570 on the Land Cruiser frame. Both vehicles towing capacity for 2016 is about 7,000 lbs. but the Sequoia can go up to 7,300 depending on the model and 2WD or 4WD.

Older models of both have a higher towing capacity than the newer ones. I don't know if this is because of the J2807 standardization of towing capacities among auto manufacturers or because of a desire to build in a larger margin of safety.

The Sequoia V8 is made in AL, the Lexus in Japan. Both have very close performance ratings. The GVWR for the Lexus is 7,385 while the Sequoia's is 7,100 to 7,300 depending on the model. Lexus is an 8 speed auto, Sequoia is a 6 speed auto. Both are IRS.

As I mentioned earlier, the Sequoia maximum hitch capacity is 720-740 lbs. which is about 200 lbs. less than the AS rick_fail is considering (929 lbs.). I found a Car and Driver reference that list the 2017 LX570 tongue maximum at 700 lbs.. The Tommy Bahama is nearly 6,400 lbs. base weight. That's zero wiggle room on the towing capacity, if he has the SR5 2WD.

Both are excellent vehicles for towing, but I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing my maximum tongue weight was 200 lbs. over the top before I even put anything in the vehicle. My 23' specs say 630 lbs. but the actual is 730, 30 lbs. over my maximum, with only 2 bag chairs, folding table and 4 pink flamingoes. (The WDH takes up that but I still try to keep as much as I can over the rear axles.)

He's also right up against his maximum towing capacity. To me, as much as I like Toyota SUVs, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with no safety margin, I'd go with a Tundra.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote