Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
frisco , Texas
Retiring next Spring and I want to buy an Airstream

First of all I fibbed a bit when I registered into this forum. I thought you had to be an owner to join...oops sorry. I said I owned a 2009 28' international signature but I am actually looking for one. I have visited your forum a few times and you all know what your talking about. I am about to retire from the fire service and I need some help. If someone can help me find an honest dealer who won't steal my pittance of a nest egg I truly would appreciate it. I live in Texas but am willing to travel to save some money.I grew up camping every weekend, from Memorial Day to Labor Day we went. Our first trailer was a 17' Mallard and there was six of us. My father got a 22' Globe Star when we got a little bigger and we thought we were in high cotton.I'll never forget the first time I saw an Airstream, I thought it looked like a tin can until I saw the inside. Folks it was love at first sight, and now that I'm an old turd by God I'm gonna get me one. So if you all can point me in a good direction I would truly appreciate it. THANKS..
pfdjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Hello from Florida and welcome to the forum - you will find answers here. Good Luck.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Well, you have come to the right place that is for sure. Tell us a little of what you want to do with your airstream. Do you want to live in it fulltime or just take off and see the county, or just take it out for a few week ends a year?

We'll forgive you for telling a tiny fib. Look up to your left on the screen and you'll see the words "user CP" click on it and I think you can change you avatar from there, and take out your "dream" AS and put in the words "currently looking".

There is a list on here that will tell you of all the rallies and such that are on the calendar for AS gatherings. See if one is close to you and go, AS people are so nice, tell them you're interested in buying your own and I bet they will give you a tour of theirs!

There is a guy on here by the name of "kingfisher" He ran away from home today in his brand new AS, no fooling her said he was leaving the "sparing partner" home and hitting the road. He also was from Texas and bought his from a dealer there. I know Texas is a BIG state but maybe the dealer is close enough for you to go see what they have.

Any questions this is the place to ask them. They'll tell you if you are gonna spend too much money or if they think it's a good deal, they sure aint shy! Which is really a good thing.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

It is not necessary to own an Airstream to be a member of the Forums. You have done the right by coming here BEFORE buying an Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
frisco , Texas
Thanks Annette, I changed it...
pfdjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pottsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdjim View Post
First of all I fibbed a bit when I registered into this forum. I thought you had to be an owner to join...oops sorry. I said I owned a 2009 28' international signature but I am actually looking for one. I have visited your forum a few times and you all know what your talking about. I am about to retire from the fire service and I need some help. If someone can help me find an honest dealer who won't steal my pittance of a nest egg I truly would appreciate it. I live in Texas but am willing to travel to save some money.I grew up camping every weekend, from Memorial Day to Labor Day we went. Our first trailer was a 17' Mallard and there was six of us. My father got a 22' Globe Star when we got a little bigger and we thought we were in high cotton.I'll never forget the first time I saw an Airstream, I thought it looked like a tin can until I saw the inside. Folks it was love at first sight, and now that I'm an old turd by God I'm gonna get me one. So if you all can point me in a good direction I would truly appreciate it. THANKS..
I recommend you buy used to save the depreciation losses of a new model. Wherever you buy, get the best price and don't worry about service because you can have it done here locally. We have a good repair facility in the metroplex, North Dallas RV in Carrollton. They can do warranty work in case you buy new.

Welcome to Airstreaming! We've been involved for two years, a very short time compared to many on this forum, but I live in Plano if you ever want someone local to contact about our experiences.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdjim View Post
We bought our AS from Camper Clinic II in San Marcos.

Sales guy: Tom K. there provides support to our WBCCI Unit (Texas Highland Lakes).

I have also had service done in Weatherford, but have not bought an AS from them.

SRW

SRW
Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We don't have the wonderful-dealer experience, but did get a 2006 new which was discounted by them in 2007, so at a very good price. We are in the process of refinancing it 2 years later at 5 1/2%, to drop the length of the loan by years and the payment a little in the process. Good financing rates are out there, so shop around and hold out for them.

We will let the big guys here help you with dealers, our only suggestion is to find one that lets you spend a night or two in it before you leave their lot.

I have to say, although we love our AS and wouldn't have anything else, the QC on the line at the factory could stand some serious ramping up. There are too many things that require warranty-work-returns that are obvious and just shouldn't be an issue when the rig leaves the factory.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard!!

I would also recommend a late model used.
The big depreciation hit is over and most of the "minor" concerns will have been delt with. Now is a good time to be looking.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Since you have a year to learn, this is a good place to be. You'll find out all the good and not so good about Airstreams. I don't know anything about the Texas dealers, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations.

If the economy was in something like a normal time, I'd say Fall and Winter were the best time to buy, and may still be. Buying then will give you time to outfit your Airstream the way you want it, and if you buy a used one, I'm sure there will be some things you'll want to fix.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote