Old 08-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
1973 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Send a message via Skype™ to BWMorgan225
Retired Newbie - need buying advice

I am retired and beginning to look for AS. Plan to purchase within the next 3 to 4 months. I need to educate myself and reviewing the forum looks like I have a lot to learn.

I am looking for a center bath 27-29' no later model than 1970's.

What is the difference in the pulling, trailing etc between a 27' and the 31'? I see more 31' for sale than 27' length. The 27' must be more popular?

What is the weight difference of 27' and 31'.

Also saw on one website that the center bath tows better because of distribution of load over axels? True?

How do you make sure that axels are ok? Wear on tires?

thanks and I look forward to this part of the "journey".

BWMorgan225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
addingOurs is 27 foot and weighs in at around 4600 lbs. Here's you a link to look at certain interiors that the forums provided me. There are so many great people on here (I am one of them) I think if you scroll around in this you will see a lot better. Ours is a twin with the bath in the problem for us, however we DO close off the bath when hot weather is going on. Cheers and welcome to these forums. Tell us more about yourself! Bill PS you may also scroll on thru the forums and find those existing threads on everything you need to know.

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Where we , Park it!
Our 1974 31' center bath had a GVWR of 7100 lbs. Most of the time, we weighed in at 6500-6800 fully loaded.

The majority of 1970's center baths are found in the 31' length, the Sovereign model. We have seen some 29' Ambassadors with a center bath.

Airstream did product a center bath 27' model in the 70's - in over 15 years of looking at various Airstreams/Argosy models, have only seen 2 - 27' center baths, so would assume that they were fairly rare.

The Argosy brand also had several center bath models, 30'-31' being the most common.

Good luck on your search!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Airstream, Inc :: Travel Trailer Specifications

The Dura-Torque Axle

various articles:
Choosing The Right Size Airstream
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
You should consider what you want to do with your trailer. If you want to park it and stay put for weeks / months at a time, then you probably want a longer trailer. If you want to travel, I would suggest that you consider a 24' - 27'.

It is not just weight, but length is a significant factor when traveling. The longer the trailer, the harder it is to maneuver. Buying fuel gets more complicated the longer the trailer. A few RV Parks only permit trailers over 25' (trying to keep out "campers") and less than 10 years old. However, we have never been turned away because of the age restriction once they see our restored 1963 Airstream. Other parks (like National Parks) have restrictions limiting length to a maximum of +/- 25'.

Concerning the axles.... Since you want a vintage trailer, it is likely that it will need a new torsion axle unless it has been replaced in the last decade. There are many posts explaining how to determine the condition of axles. Andy at Inland RV is an expert and would be happy to assist.

Good luck
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
1973 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Send a message via Skype™ to BWMorgan225
Wow...didnt expect this much feedback so soon. Thanks to all. Lots of good info. With advice on length from Ricky and Grandmaster makes sense!! 27' approx looks like the size I will need because planning to travel more than sit in campsites. But according to Choosing the right size article I shouldnt get it too small.
Bill ..I am a graduate Landscape Architect from LSU. Have spent more than 40 years working in the environment, engineering and architectural fields. I am actually semi retired. I am a share holder of a startup organic fertilizer company in Miss. I have been taking courses on solar energy. I am building an offgrid camp on 200 acres in Miss and will be installing green solutions (solar, rain for water source, etc.) to this camp. I wanted to learn this new technology for myself and my grandchildren. If
Obamacare takes affect then our grandkids wont be able to afford a single light bulb. lol
thanks again everyone...awesome support!!!!!!

BWMorgan225 is offline   Reply With Quote