Old 11-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Resistance is Futile (or How a '66 International Seduced Me)

Well... it's official. After growing up camping in Airstreams ('68 Ambassador and '76 Sovereign) and borrowing my father's '02 Classic to go to Disney once... (and owning a fiberglass and aluminum RV box trailer)... and being a member of Airforums for several years... and even writing a "road song" called the "Airstream Song" (which I'm thinking of publishing to iTunes someday) I finally own my own Airstream.

Found it after randomly perusing an out-of-state Craigslist site. Had my brother (who lived within an hour of the seller) go look at it, and then buy it on the spot. He towed it home last night and sent a few more pictures. Wow. Exceptional condition. Very few issues, unbelievably.

I'll post photos when I can go see her -- hopefully this weekend (it's a five-hour drive for me).

I need to find a replacement step for the door. The original is missing. Not sure what happened. And not sure of any damage there. Where might I begin looking?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRadio View Post
Well... it's official. After growing up camping in Airstreams ('68 Ambassador and '76 Sovereign) and borrowing my father's '02 Classic to go to Disney once... (and owning a fiberglass and aluminum RV box trailer)... and being a member of Airforums for several years... and even writing a "road song" called the "Airstream Song" (which I'm thinking of publishing to iTunes someday) I finally own my own Airstream.

Found it after randomly perusing an out-of-state Craigslist site. Had my brother (who lived within an hour of the seller) go look at it, and then buy it on the spot. He towed it home last night and sent a few more pictures. Wow. Exceptional condition. Very few issues, unbelievably.

I'll post photos when I can go see her -- hopefully this weekend (it's a five-hour drive for me).

I need to find a replacement step for the door. The original is missing. Not sure what happened. And not sure of any damage there. Where might I begin looking?
Footsteps are available, but if it's the double aluminum step, be prepared as they cost several hundreds of dollars.

What year and length did you purchase?

Andy

Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
'68 International 29' (or 30')... not sure of length. Rear bath, mid-bed. Where can I source the swing out step (or double step)? And how will I know which one I should order?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRadio View Post
'68 International 29' (or 30')... not sure of length. Rear bath, mid-bed. Where can I source the swing out step (or double step)? And how will I know which one I should order?
That original step has been gone for many years.

You will have to be creative and do some welding, as well as some sheet metal work.

Andy
Old 11-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Great to see more Vintage 60's ones around here! Maybe we will see you on the road! (But you won't catch me on The Ike with her)!!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
I mis-typed. It's a 1966. Not a '68. (Sorry). I'm giddy and delirious with excitement.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
66..68..either way congrats.

Be sure to post the obligatory photographs when you're able.

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
'66 The best year, but I'm a little biased!