Old 04-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi embark, thanks for wanting to take the time to document your restoration. Yours in particular is going to be a lot of fun to watch, seeing where you're coming from.

I agree on moving the thread to its appropriate TradeWind forum, that's a good idea.

Having read through most (and possibly all) of the resto/reno threads from the past five years, I can tell you what I think is a very good way to do it.

I think you should use this thread as sort of your base of operations, and document all of the major steps with both text and pictures (before & after). When you have very specific questions about plumbing or electrical or polishing the exterior or whatever, I would suggest asking those questions on their appropriate forums (first so you get a quicker and more complete answer, and second so you don't clutter up your own thread), but post a link on THIS thread to those other discussions so that anyone who wants to follow the specifics of that detailed discussion may so so.

You can also post pictures in your photo gallery, but IMO accompanying pictures with text in your actual resto/reno thread is more informative and satisfying to your readers.

Hope that helps, it's oibviously just my opinion so please feel free to ignore most or all of it.

Looking forward to seeing pics of the pressure-washed exterior, and good luck on the rest!

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
1962 24' Tradewind
Richmond , Illinois
I would love to see more photos of your 62 TW. We just purchased our 62 TW - my husband brought it home on Valentine's Day!! What a gift! We are planning our 1st trip to Shawnee National Forest at the end of March. Good Luck!

Bkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Pleasant Hill , Oregon
Welcome, Bkrieger!

Hope your husband didn't paint that TW pink. Paint is sooooo hard to get off! We're about 1/3 the way through removing it from our TW. Pressure washing won't budge the paint. We haveused a couple of chem paint removers (sparingly) instead.

I'm sorry I haven't been posting updates, I got a little busy just working on it!

To date:

All rotted interior wood removed. New birch plywood starting to go in for walls.

Floor plan finalized and framing for cabinets and appliances is about 2/3 complete.

Tankless water heater repaired, installed in system.

All exterior lights removed and 50% replaced. We saved much of the wiring as it's a b***h to replace!

Trex water lines installed.

Pleasant surprises:
All running gear is in prime condition.
Windows all seal perfectly and crank up and down as easily as they ever did in 1962.

The back 25% of the TW was gutted and alot of the bottom pan was compromised, plus the entire interior under the floor was filled with spray foam. We're working to repair and replace. A big job. Also we cannot find a suitable black/gray water holding tank so far. We're considering having one manufactured. $$$

The roof vents are all leaking and the hardware is shot, missing parts and rust.. We're in the middle of removing them (frames and all) and replacing with new.

It's a labor of love, but right now the emphasis is on "labor"!

I'll get some pics together and post 'em soon.

Good luck with your TW! Have fun in Shawnee!
tom and molly
embark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Originally Posted by embark View Post

First, we've looked on the WBCCI forums for some clues as to how to research the history of our 62's red numbers. Seems like they are all asleep on those particular forums. Perhaps WBCCI is too? Any advice as to how to find out more about ourTrade Wind's old red numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,

tom and molly
Tom & Molly,
I just discovered this thread. I have some old WBCCI Membership Directories. If you can post the red number here (or send them to me in an email or private message - click on my forum name to do that), I'll see what I can turn up. If I happen to not have the correct Directories to show who had your trailer in the early to mid 1960s, I'll contact the club for further assistance.
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #19
1962 24' Tradewind
Richmond , Illinois
Hi Tom and Molly

I just took some photos after we did a little work last weekend. We added the cbnet with the fridge and are working on the bathroom. The previos owner took out the toilet and the tanks as well as the sink. I have been looking at photos and trying to use an old layout. He did all of the major work prior to us making the purchase.

How do I get the photos in??? I tried the attach and it won't let me attach photos.
Bkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
1962 24' Tradewind
Richmond , Illinois
Tom & Molly,
Finally-I finally figured it out! I hope that the photos can be opened. No more snow- Happy Spring!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 001.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	98294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 002.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	98295  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 005.jpg