Old 06-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

1984 29' Sovereign
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Renovating '84 Sovereign

Hi everyone!

We're super excited about our Airstream! We have the cups, the hats, and the can do attitude! What we don't have is any experience.

Right now our Airstream is pretty much gutted and we're discussing interior paint. When I called Airstream they said we have vinyl covered aluminum in our tailor. What I am wondering is if it is easier to strip these walls or to paint over them? I know we need to clean the walls, prime, and then paint. But I also understand that if we strip we need to do this a couple of times and then buff out clouds. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, if you have painted, what is the best type of paint to use? I've read that we need to use a VAE based paint and some type of paint with high adhesion.

Again, very excited to be part of such a large, unique group of campers!

Take care.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudynphyllis View Post
Hi everyone!

We're super excited about our Airstream! We have the cups, the hats, and the can do attitude! What we don't have is any experience.

Right now our Airstream is pretty much gutted and we're discussing interior paint. When I called Airstream they said we have vinyl covered aluminum in our tailor. What I am wondering is if it is easier to strip these walls or to paint over them? I know we need to clean the walls, prime, and then paint. But I also understand that if we strip we need to do this a couple of times and then buff out clouds. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, if you have painted, what is the best type of paint to use? I've read that we need to use a VAE based paint and some type of paint with high adhesion.

Again, very excited to be part of such a large, unique group of campers!

Take care.
Are you painting just to change the color or because of stains or damage to the inside. Pictures would help.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Greetings and yes pictures please! We have a 66 caravel with the same wall covering and I am thinking valspar but then again paint and trim is my wife's area. Some pictures of the interior that include the floors will help with any advise. Welcome to the forums
Cliff
Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1985 32' Excella
Valley Village , California
Welcome to your project! We are moving right along on our renovation of our '85 Excella. We painted the entire inside of our trailer. First we washed every square inch with 409, then rinsed. We primed everything with 2 coats using Kilz Premium Primer ( tinted to match our off-white finish color). We then pained our finish color using Behr Premium Plus paint with built in primer (just to be safe). We used the small rollers- which helps on the curves. It turned our great! The cleaning part is the most essential, especially around the kitchen area. We also put in new flooring, painted the cabinets and counters, new lights, and added outlets.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
What did you do about those plastic roll up cabinets? I was just outside staring at them
Old 07-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1985 32' Excella
Valley Village , California
Painting of tambour (roll-up) cabinets

We taped off all of the metal edging and painted the upper cabinets inside and out, and just cleaned the actual tambour doors. Also took the upholstered cabinet ends out and replace those with plexiglass, and covered that with the window film form Home Depot. Sorry about the sideways picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130720_081823.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	191261  
Old 07-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
Looks great! I was outside just now still staring at the cabinets and thinking of doing the same thing. All the different parts of the ceiling, end caps and tambour cabinets have aged a different color. Looks pretty bad. I'm thinking of painting the ceiling off white including the side cabinet and spice rack. Maybe try to leave the end cap with the awesome control panel how it is - sort of yellowish. I'm going to scrub everything down with TSP.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I'm in New Mexico so I'm going to make a punched tin inset for that end spot where the fabric is. Mine is a lovely bright orange velvet. Walls will be an adobe brown, counter tops including living room and bathroom will be a darkish turquoise of light weight architectural concrete. Floors bamboo someday.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I don't think I can use that kind of paint and primer. I need some kind of radically low VOC paint.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
On our 83 Sovereign we cleaned the interior about three times. We also had a few cracks at the end caps and had to repair them, and replaced the frig and stove. What about floors, are you planning anything there, we put in cork? We have put over 30K miles on the AS with no problems, but did replace everything on the axles from the end plates out as a precaution.

Good Luck
Old 07-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #11
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I'm planning on bamboo. It's a little more durable than cork. I'll be living in my Airstream on a working cattle ranch, so I always go for the most heavy duty products available. I can't say I'm fond of those big plastic end caps. If the control panel wasn't part of the one in the living room, I'd remove the whole thing. Maybe I'll do that later.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
if you have a few cracks in the end caps, this is what I did to remedy the problem:

Purchase fiberclass cloth and resin and hardner .... I used West System from a marine store (a car body repair kit will usually work as well). Cut the cloth in one inch strips, lightly sand the problem area, mix resin and hardner, paint the area to be repaired, place the cloth over the crack and wet out the cloth. Let dry ..... sand smooth, apply a filler over the area, sand smooth and prepare to paint. Mine looked great ... just beware that the fiberglass goes off quickly and you may need to do only a couple at a time.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
Thanks for that information. There is only one small crack. The primer and paint will probably fill it up. I'm going to use some kind of ultra low VOC paint and primer. Hope it sticks to the vinyl.

Tags
sovereign