Old 12-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome to the forums

Like someone said earlier - you'll get lots of varying opinions.
I polished my trailer a year ago October, haven't done a thing with it since other than wash it and it still looks pretty darn good. Yes, it sits outside in the weather year-round. I say, if you feel like it and like the look - go for it.
BTW, great looking trailer!
Dave

Old 12-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #16
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The number on your trailer is not listed in the WBCCI directory. It is possible that the PO never jpined the club or joined too late in the year to be listed. You can email Jodi Morris jmorris@wbcci.org to find out the status of that number. If you can't get that number you can always get a number that is close. One example would be to change the 3 to an 8.

If you polish your trailer you will notice that the numbers are faded into the skin. Because of that many folks do not put the numbers back on.

Send me a PM if you have any questions about WBCCI membership.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
WBCCI membership number

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
The number on your trailer is not listed in the WBCCI directory. It is possible that the PO never jpined the club or joined too late in the year to be listed. You can email Jodi Morris jmorris@wbcci.org to find out the status of that number. If you can't get that number you can always get a number that is close. One example would be to change the 3 to an 8.

If you polish your trailer you will notice that the numbers are faded into the skin. Because of that many folks do not put the numbers back on.
Actually, the immediate PO revived that membership number but it may have been over 12 months ago. If she had let it lapse, it's possible that she is not listed. Regardless, I know she re-newed it because I have the Welcome letter as well as two new sets of the numbers & the WBCCI decal they sent to her.

I can't very well put the new numbers on without polishing the AS, can I?

Heh.
Team No Adventure Racing
Mesa, Arizona
team_no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
TV info

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
OK Bill, you've got us curious about your new TV. The way you decribe it in your post, we must know what it is and see photos. A TV that would raise the ire of the homeowners's association, must be something really cool.

Brian
In the fullness of time all will be revealed. I haven't fetched it yet so I don't want to jinx myself.
Team No Adventure Racing
Mesa, Arizona
Old 01-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Revelations on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by team_no
In the fullness of time all will be revealed. I haven't fetched it yet so I don't want to jinx myself.
Okay, so I am back from a Holiday dash to the East Coast . . . thought I'd follow-up my own message with images of my TV and the AS on the first "official" outing:

http://www.billgau.com/mega_creampuff/beast_1.jpg
http://www.billgau.com/mega_creampuff/beast_2.jpg
http://www.billgau.com/mega_creampuff/beast_3.jpg
http://www.billgau.com/mega_creampuff/beast_4.jpg

It is a 1993 Dodge D350 1-Ton Dually with the Cummins 5.9L turbodiesel and a 5spd. It is relatively low-mileage, has a host of repairs/improvements, good documentation and at first glance, you would think it is an automotive crime against humanity;

And you'd be right.

Heh.

Within TWO DAYS of parking this beast in front of my house (it was, after all, temporary until I could clean it out and move it to join the AS at the local covered R/V parking facility) my phone was ringing in what was the FIRST DIRECT PHONE CALL EVER from my homeowner's assn. I have recieved threatening letters but I have never had anything which would evoke such an immediate response.

I was originally contemplating this vehicle, which I test-drove, investigated ad nauseum, put a sizeable deposit on, etc.:

http://www.billgau.com/ramolamadingdong/17.jpg
http://www.billgau.com/ramolamadingdong/0.jpg

This was extraordinarily cool because of all the extra storage in the utility bed, but ultimately the big V10 and the unwieldily-ness of it would be its downfall. As the date to pick it up drew near, I kept my Craigslist alert stream going and the `93 turned up for sale down the street. To me, the Cummins motor is the greatest accomplishment in the history of the automobile and while there are many for sale in AZ, they all command a premium and almost all are in the 2nd & 3rd generation Rams, which--while cool-looking--are just monstrous. So, I seized the `93 when it popped up for sale, particularly because it was so cheap.

Apart from being perhaps the most filthy vehicle I have ever purchased (and having spent every day of its life in the Arizona sun) it is, of course, a creampuff. This will be a dedicated TV and I bought it almost exclusively for the engine/transmission. I'm not entirely thrilled with the dually and the suspension, but it actually rides softer than the 3/4 Ton `98 I test-drove and I suspect I can yank a leaf out of the suspension and it will soften it up.

Or some such.

It also has a "cowboy sleeper", consisting of a custom-installed cab on the rear of the passenger compartment, complete with the original side jump seats and the most period-correct barcalounger in the back.

Unfortunately, no matter how much I vacuum, steam-clean, etc., it still smells like a cross between the kennels at the Leader Dogs for the Blind and the former Mustang Ranch(tm). Not sure what I'll do about that. Maybe replace the carpet and seats.

Presently, my wife forbids me to have it re-painted (as it will never appear in public without our being disguised) but it is my thought (and perhaps intention) to STRIP the paint off of the panels and POLISH the bare galvanized steel and clear-coat it so it will--in an odd way--match the AS. Heh.

Anyway, thought I'd give a short update. Happy New Year's to all.
Team No Adventure Racing
Mesa, Arizona
Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
Thank you for the photos, I'm pretty new here, but we seem to be a photo hungry group. I'm moving to Ruidoso, NM. in a few days from Tampa. I'm really looking forward to the trip out west.

See you boondocking!

Michael

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Ah, too funny! When you stir up the home owners association, you must be doing something right! Looks like a great rig to me, and MORE than enough bulk to handle your AS in any conditions!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote