Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #1

2010 23' International
livingston , Montana
registering new airstream in Montana

I am buying a new 23 ft international in new jersey.
I have property in Montana and plan on titling there.
Is a 23 ft International considered a trailer and what should I know about initial the cost of title and registration as well as repeat annual cost?
Thanks
wallywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portsmouth , Virginia
We title all our vehicles in MT because we are military and MT is our permanent state of residence. We titled a camper there last year and are about to title our 71 Safari. You can get a lifetime camper registration for about $175. Of course, you also don't pay any sales tax which is a great bonus! I don't remember what plates and everything else cost but I know it wasn't too much. The lifetime registration was the biggest expense and even that wasn't bad, obviously! Hope this helps and good luck!
Twistboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Being a MT resident is sales tax advantaged. RV dealerships can refer one to attorneys who will sell you a square inch of MT soil (almost) so one can qualify. Many fulltimers/large moho owners use this. You're miles ahead if you already own land there.

I started the http://www.airforums.com/forums/f352...dge-17906.html thread some time ago and won't lay any heavy opinions about ethics in this regard. I do feel it is useful for society if we support schools in our own backyard. Otherwise this is mostly nobody else's business...

Quote:
Is a 23 ft International considered a trailer?
Absolutely. With a bathroom and galley, it qualifies as a 2nd home. Thus interest on purchase is deductible on federal taxes. The same underlined qualifications also apply to boat purchases.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote