Old 11-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
..just prior to a gas leak.........OFF, but that's just me

i haven't traveled with it yet, but Murphy has been a too frequent visitor!
besides, i might forget to turn them off when required.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
I also have a 3 way frig in my 2005 LS Safari and set it on ac while driving.
Wow, you have a 3 way in your trailer? I assume you put that in after removing the factory 2 way from airstream?

I looked into putting a 3 way in the trailer, and found that the current required to run off DC was far more than what the 7 pin trailer connection could safely provide. I would have had to run a seperate line from the tow vehicles batter / alternator.

For what its worth, I used to pull off and shut the propane off prior to getting into a gas station, and turn it back on after leaving, but then would find the darn flame blew out anyways... so I fixed that with the fiberglass furnace filter behind the fridge door.

About the same time, I switched from a gas tow vehicle to a diesel tow vehicle. Now 99% of the time I fill up at truck stations, and am far from any gas pumps. I leave the fridge on as diesel is combustible , not flammable, and high flash point as compared to gas.

Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #17
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Wow, you have a 3 way in your trailer? I assume you put that in after removing the factory 2 way from airstream?

I looked into putting a 3 way in the trailer, and found that the current required to run off DC was far more than what the 7 pin trailer connection could safely provide. I would have had to run a seperate line from the tow vehicles batter / alternator.

For what its worth, I used to pull off and shut the propane off prior to getting into a gas station, and turn it back on after leaving, but then would find the darn flame blew out anyways... so I fixed that with the fiberglass furnace filter behind the fridge door.

About the same time, I switched from a gas tow vehicle to a diesel tow vehicle. Now 99% of the time I fill up at truck stations, and am far from any gas pumps. I leave the fridge on as diesel is combustible , not flammable, and high flash point as compared to gas.
Kevin, you are correct, I have a two way. I must have had a senior moment. Although, I do run the AC while underway and not the propane. Works fine and keeps items cold in refer.

R/
Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
Kevin, you are correct, I have a two way. I must have had a senior moment. Although, I do run the AC while underway and not the propane. Works fine and keeps items cold in refer.

R/
Rick
Rick, I assume you mean you run it on Propane (using DC) while underway, and AC when plugged to shore power.

If you have a factory 2 way, its only propane/AC. You'd need an inverter (not efficient for this application) or generator for it to run AC while underway. The only way to not have it run on propane on a 2 way fridge while underway is to take it off "auto" and force it to "off". Otherwise, if you are running "auto", it will run AC (as 1st preference) when shore power is detected, and default to propane when no AC is present. You can leave it at "auto" and then shut the gas off, thereby causing it to not run on propane with no AC present, which will result in the check light.

Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote