So, last week we finished redecorating/renovating our 1999 25' Safari that we purchased for a song. As I write, I am sitting at our first stop on our journey from Texas to Big Sur in CA and then to Yellowstone and all points in between. It is sooo nice! It looks fabulous and feels Here is what we did and a link to the photo album showing the results (posted one below):
1. Pulled up the original green carpeting and put in Audra vinyl planks in light oak to match the darker oak design of the AS. The floor was in pretty good shape except for one water damaged spot by the door about 5 in x 5 in. Had to become a carpenter and learn what "scabbing in" a piece of plywood to replace the hole meant. The plywood floor was slightly thicker than any type we could find and so had to use a little leveler on top. Thanks to past forum posters who described both things so well. I found that people like me who are a little OCD can obsess for hours over floor leveling compound!
We removed the couch but left the cabinets in place. Pushed and pulled a razor blade knife, needle-nose pliars and a screwdriver until all carpet edges either came OUT or went IN!
2. Took out the couch and had it reupholstered, along with the valences, the fabric panel in the living room and the fabric panel over the wheel well in the bedroom. The couple who owned the shop where we took it really knew what they were doing! They replaced the cushions, put fabric around the springs to make them stop squeaking and put the fabric on the couch and other things. They used a steamer to take off the trim strip to remove the fabric panel.
3. Replaced the mattress with a really nice pillowtop one we purchased last year but hadn't used because we are still using our 20 yr old waterbed at home! It is super luxurious and we got a lovely brown "sateen" cover for the bed with matching shams and very soft sheets!
3. Replaced the tires and the peeling wheels with snazzy aluminum wheels!
4. Scrubbed the interior wall fabric with Woolite Oxy Upholstery Cleaner. I used a microfiber cloth and stuffed paper towels at the bottom of the wall to prevent the excess from soaking into the floor. The cleaner made the fabric like new - also deodorized and sanitized it! Make sure you use plenty of ventilation if you use as much of this product as I did. Wish it came in bigger bottle - I think I used 10!
5. Cleaned the entire thing from top to bottom like a colony of lepers had lived there...haha! Though, the PO were surprisingly very clean! Used water and mild dish soap with microfiber cloth except in bathroom where Mr. Clean helped and the fridge which required bleach! Used orange oil wood cleaner on wood and wood paneling as well - wiped off excess from paneling immediately.
6. Clean the roof and roof vents, sealed and lubricted everything that could leak or move!
7. Dry-cleaned the curtains - turned out great!
Now the whole thing is outfitted nicely and we are sooo comfy on our first night! Hope you enjoy the details..
Here are the pics:
Picasa Web Albums - Karen - Redecorated ...