Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Houston , Texas
really yellow, nasty vinylclad aluminum walls.

I have tried the Super clean on my really nasty walls in our '77 excella 500, and they are getting a little better, but far from what I "want". Does anybody have any suggestions as what to do. I am even open to painting them, but would prefer keeping original, i.e clean up the walls as best I can. I think I read about painting the vinyl, and it involves a lot of prepwork, am I correct?
Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks, Petra Lopez, Houston
Venpetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I'm very enthusiastic about painting. If you've been scrubbing the gunk, you've already done the hardest part of the prep work. The next step is Sherwin-Williams bonding primer. If you decide you want to paint the interior a color--as opposed to plain, boring, white--then Sherwin-Williams can even tint the primer close to the color you choose so you don't have to do mulitple coats. The most tedious part is the taping for sure. However, as opposed to scrubbing and scrubbing and still having an interior that looks like a three-pack a day smoker's teeth--I say paint it. Here's what my painted interior looks like. The lighter color is the yucky fake walnut plastic wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'72 Safari_interior.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	44944  
Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

We had the same problem with our 69 Overlander. We tried everything and finally I decided that I would try Lysol plus bleach. You have to be careful not to get it on carpet, furniture, etc. After two applications it did the job!

Good luck,

Gloria Pace
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
I'm very enthusiastic about painting. If you've been scrubbing the gunk, you've already done the hardest part of the prep work. The next step is Sherwin-Williams bonding primer. If you decide you want to paint the interior a color--as opposed to plain, boring, white--then Sherwin-Williams can even tint the primer close to the color you choose so you don't have to do mulitple coats. The most tedious part is the taping for sure. However, as opposed to scrubbing and scrubbing and still having an interior that looks like a three-pack a day smoker's teeth--I say paint it. Here's what my painted interior looks like. The lighter color is the yucky fake walnut plastic wood.
It appears that you have done more work on your coach snce we saw it at Casini. Looks really nice. We bought Wild Hogs to watch. Terrible movie. The only thing that held my interest was watching for your trailer in it. I guess 5 nanoseconds it too fast for my aging eyes so neither Lynn nor I saw it. I am not too sure I want to wade thru that drivel again to see it. Are you going to 'cover' the plastic wood? To keep this thread on subject our PO said she used Patio Furniture Cleaner to 'get the yellow out' of what was in our Trade Wind. She gave me a bottle. It smells like the secret ingredient is bleach. By the way Susan I finished reading Blue Highways. I will send you a note about it.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Post Falls , Idaho
Hi Petra, I had the same problem with our original 1973 A/S and it took lots of elbow grease but the yellowish sticky stuff did come off...can't remember what I used, "Fantastic" maybe? Now we have a 1975 Tradewind with a lighter case of the "stickies". I worked on it a bit while camping this weekend and am totally impressed with the mix I make up to use in the house on the fridge, bathroom, shower, etc. Mix 2 TBS vinegar with 1 tsp borax in a 16oz spray bottle. Fill nearly to the top with very hot water and shake to mix. Lastly add 1/4 cup Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap and voila! It even smells wonderful. I plan to make a larger batch in a pan and go out and finish the job...spraying is slow and it drifts down on your head...Good luck, Frankie
bambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
cleaning the vinylclad interior panels

I did my whole interior using Soft Scrub with bleach and Scotchbrite pads. Wiped them off with a clean wet rag. My panels were black filthy in many places and they look very clean and white now. Made the whole inside smell much, much better, not a very strong bleach smell. I did try a couple things before this but the "sticky" didn't want to come off with other cleaners.

TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Houston , Texas
Thank you so much for all the suggestions, I think I might give them all a try to see which one works the best. I love being a part of this awesome community. Again, Thanks, Petra
Venpetra is offline   Reply With Quote

« mft1949 | Top | New Member »