Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Really, really new!!

We're planning to retire from the full time grind in a couple of years. We're trying to figure out what we'll do when we grow up.

We've taken one short trip in a motorhome and had a good time. Other than that brief exposure, we have no RV experience.

One of our sons lives in beautiful western Colorado [we live in Denver]. We've been debating whether to buy something like a small home near his home or to buy an RV that we could use to visit he and his family. We could park next to his home on a beautiful farm when we visit him. We also have a desire to travel the U.S. and play every golf course we come across.

I don't know why I've ended up at this forum. For some reason, my eye has always been attracted to Airstream equipment. They say "high quality" to me.

Well, as you can tell, we're confused about whether RV'ing is for us and we have absolutely no knowledge about Airstream. Any ideas about how to work through this decision would be very helpful. I just ordered a couple of RV books from Amazon.

Thank you for your comments.
Globeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to the forums from a fellow Denverite! Sounds like you have an exciting time ahead...figuring out what to do. Feel free to ponder out loud around here...lots of folks will chime in. If you need any local advice, ask away ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the forum... I imagine that there are many folks here that went through the same time of "discovery" that you are facing. When we started thinking outloud about RVing we finally rented one for a short trip...that helped us decided that we like the concept of RVing... Then we had to decided what form of RVing we'd prefer. We bought a small motorhome (not Airstream) first, as a good deal came our way...we did that for about 3 years, and enjoyed it very much, but then eventually we turned back to the question: "Motorhome vs travel trailer?" We decided to go the other route and here we are...with an Aistream travel trailer....and love it...it was a good choice for us.

The advantage to an RV (watever type you choose) is that you can take it to your son's place and stay a spell...and you can take it anywehre else you decide you want to visit...you can't do that with a house! There are lots of golf courses out there!

Good luck, and Happy Trails to you!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Welcome...lots of great info can be found here.

I suspect you'll find the right fit that will meet your needs. Airstream has left the motorhome business, but pre-owned can be found nearly everywhere.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
We were weighing the purchase of a vacation home when we bought our Airstream.

I think it's a grapefruit vs. oranges comparison. That is, the two concepts fill a similar need but are quite different. RV-ing is a lifestyle. It's not exactly the same as having a 2nd home, but has its own unique advantages (and some disadvantages).

If you are just getting started, I suggest you find a friend with an RV and spend a night in it. Or rent an RV for a weekend trip. You'll either emerge from the experience excited about buying one, or you'll learn if it's not for you.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
We bought our motorhome before I retired and got it paid off. Now we still have our family home and we can travel as we like. Since we don't have a large payment each month on it, it can set in the barn for months and it doesn't bother us a bit. It's there when we want to go.

Weather you buy a trailer or motorhome is a personal choice. The real advantage lies in the flexibility of being able to choose many destinations. A lot of people where we live buy cabins on lakes, and then they are stuck on that lake weather the fishing is good or bad. If you buy a house close to your son, you are stuck as well. Our children move around a lot. If your son decides to move, will you then sell your house and move with them? I prefer the flexibility and freedom with our motorhome.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hudson , Florida
Hey Globeville!
I am pretty new to the forum too but I have found the people here to be friendly and they tell me the only dumb question is the one that isn't ASKED. So dive in, its fun and sometimes full of laughs.
I wish that I would have listened to my heart when I retired now I am stuck pretty much in one spot and still having the hobo phobia. So... now I am in the process of restoring a 1956 Silver Streak with dreams of putting her on the road one day...

Good luck to you with your decision I hope it is not one that you will regret.
Rosie The Riveter
rosieriveter is offline   Reply With Quote