Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
santa clara , California
Ready to take the plunge

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of researching vintage Airstreams, trying to determine what to purchase. In all likelyhood I will completly restore whatever I purchase. I am looking for a size that will accomodate a family of four, any suggestions. I would assume a 24' or 26" would do that, any thoughts. As I do more research I will ask many more questions, but this will do for now.

s_zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Do you have any pets? How old is your family of four? Are the kids small or teenagers. Teenagers need more room. The older the family the larger your trailer wil need to be especially if you plan to take extended vacations.
You may be looking for something in the 30 ft range.

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I have to agree with Michelle. We, my husband and me and 2 small dogs, have a 24ft Argosy. We really like this trailer, but for extended stays it's not comfortable. With one bed all the way out into the hallway you have to climb over someone to get out and you have to climb over the bed to get to the bathroom. With both beds pulled out part way, it is still wall to wall beds with no sitting room. We now have a 31ft 1976 Sovereign with the rear bedroom. This is so much better. Actually we could have coped with 24ft if the bedroom had been in the rear. Think a while before you go vintage with the mid bedroom. Of course if you intend to completely renovate, you could put the beds where you want them. At the very least, go for the mid twins and not the mid double bed. You lose storage space, but you gain a little comfort.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Hi s_zamora, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I agree with the others. To be really comfortable with four people for anything more than a couple of days, you are probably going to want something in the 30+ foot range. Vintage units in this size range are relatively light.

We camp with only two people (no pets) in a 25FB, and find this to be the minimum size doable for long Airstream adventures. We have done as long as 45 consecutive days, and felt comfortable.

Do your research and soul searching, and decide what would make your family really like the Airstream experience. It's a great lifestyle, and will make many wonderful memories for yourselves and your children.

Good luck in your search, and keep us posted.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
You've got to look at all of them out there today. FInd out what is comfortable. One family will be comfortable with a 23' and the next will need at least 28'. Only you and the family will know what it will take to be comfortable. How much room do you need to prepare food? Will most be prepared in the galley or over the campfire? Will you bbq outside? How well do you all get along on four consecutive rainy days??? You've got to go to RV shows and walk into them - sit in them - pretend you're living in them - find out what is comfortable and what is crowded. We started with a 19' thinking that would be plenty large for two of us. Then decided a LITTLE more room would really be great so moved up to a 23' as we looked - but when it came time to buy, our money went for a 25' and that's where we'll be really comfortable. Some folks need at least a 30'. ONLY YOU KNOW.
2007, 25' International SS OB
2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Prodigy Brakes
REMEMBER, "It is better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Derby , Kansas
It's all a matter of personal preferances. If you've not owned, or spent much time in a camper before, do your homework before buying. If you get the chance, personally spend some time inside of some campers with your family.
I would suggest a 26' or larger. Some people prefer double bed layouts, and some prefer twin layouts. It all depends on age of children, same sex of children, if you prefer vintage, what weight limits you can comfortably tow, and on and on and on....
todcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
There are several rallies in CA that you might want to check out at the bottom of the portal page. Go to one or more and I'm sure folks will be glad to take you through their trailers. From that you will get a pretty good feel for what would work for your family, as well as what vintage of unit you are interested in.

With two of us we had several types of 17' of other brands for a long time and then realized we needed more room so ended up with a 21' Airstream - vintage. It would be cramped with four people but it certainly can be done. As a kid with five kids, my parents and my grandmother we camped all over NA in a 17' and then 19', and as soon as some of the kids were in their teens they opted to sleep in a tent beside the trailer (actually under my dad's window which was always left open ). So another consideration is how long the kids are going to be with you on these trips.

You are getting good feedback here but actually seeing the trailers will give you a good feel for what you can live with.

Glad you have joined us. Now you just need to latch onto the right trailer.

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote