Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Smile Ready to Buy my first AS

It's finally getting close. I'm just a few short years ( I hope) from retirement and the wife and I have given up the Cruising Life (as in off shore sailing) which is sometimes called "swallowing the anchor" and are about to do some "Land Yachiting"!!!

I've read literally thousand upon thousands of pages of information about TT and have decided the Airstream is the way to go. Now it's just a matter of finding one that's fits. In visiting the dealers and looking at the array of models, it seems that the 25 ft AS is what will do the trick. It has the features that are most similar to the 40 to 45 ft sailboats we have been used to and is still trailerable by my 2001 Expedition 5.4 w/ towing package. We've used that TV for moving a J80 racding sailboat (about 5,000+ lbs) back and forth across the southern half of the US and several times to Keywest in a resonable manner.

I'll have to figure out how I can get some sort of boat to fit w/ towing a trailer so if there are ideas out there, please pass them along. I assume an inflatable is the way to go, but I suspect there are some folks that have gotten very creative.....fold-a-boats, canoes, ????

I think the 25 AS will also have room for my Ham Station (been one for almost 50 years). I would greatly appreciate any guidance on what to look for as "touble spots" in used 25ft AS by model. We have not settled on which of the 25s will work best for us (SS, FB, etc). Also if thre are any for sale in TX, I am located in Houston and would appreciate the heads up..

I have noticed a significant number of members on the forum also also Texans so am also interested in any info on AS "conventions" (or whatever they are called) in the state. Is there is someting that takes place in the New Braunsfel area?

So far this forum has been a great source of info and I look forward to "rafting up" (?) with other members.

Dwight
SailAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Welcome to the forums, Dwight! Use google to search and you can find about any answer you need.

I've swallowed the anchor, too, or just about. We're still living aboard, but once our heavy duty renovation is done, going to be land yachting too.

We did an 8 year circumnavigation in our Mariah 31, but situations change and the Airstream is the future for me.

I built a Pygmy Kayak for the next boat and our old Tinker inflatable (with a sail rig!) may go along too.

Anchor never drags on an Airstream.

steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:04 AM   #3

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Any Town , Mississippi
Sailing on 4 Wheels

Hello Dwaine and crew.

Jasmine and I are purchasing our land yacht the end of this month. I am a corporate pilot which has allowed me to look at several Airstreams around the country. I finally found what I was looking for in Eastern US. It is a 28 foot and in good "roll-away" condition. We will pick it up in a few weeks and make our way back to MS. Jasmine has never been on the Blue Ridge Parkway either.

We also have a 27 foot Nor Sea that we harbor on the MS coast. We use it for coastal cruising mostly but have the option of destinations that a bluewater trailerable cruiser can offer. One idea is to take the AS to a coastal destination and sail to it. The main idea for the AS is to go trout fishing in the warmer months. It is 28 feet which I hope is not too big for out-of-the-way campsites.

Our choice of dingy for the Airstream is our Tinker inflatable with the sail kit.

Captains Jasmine and Stanley
StanleyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Welcome, our last sailboat was a 28' Cape Dory sailed out of Salisbury,Md.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. It sounds like you are on the right track.

We have have a 25FB, named Lucy. Over the past 3 1/2 years, we have pulled Lucy over 50,000 miles and have spent over 500 nights in her. Lucy has visited all of the lower 48 states.

Wherever we go, we carry our 15' Hobie tandem kayak. It's not exactly a luxury liner, but it does float and gets us to some places that we would not see otherwise. The kayak is really nice to have along for wildlife viewing.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3550.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	91192  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Looks like you are finding a number of former boaters. We cruised the Great Lakes for three summers - still referred to as "three of the best years of our lives". We've been between boats now for more than 25 years - and have found our Airstream to be the perfect substitute. We bought her new last summer and towed her through six states while learning how to do it. Again, this summer, we managed about thirty nights out on her continuing our learning process and shaking out the bugs. Our next trip will be a return to Jackson Center (where she was built) for some minor warranty work while it is still in effect. (That's why we purchased new - to get the 24 month warranty).

It's been an absolute delight - we still get out in the weather, watch the season's change and enjoy traveling. We consider ourselves to be travelers - not campers. We go where we want to visit and we choose to do so sleeping in our own bed, on our own pillows and eating our own food. It works for us - just like it did on our boat.

We looked at lots of trailers before an SOB saleman told us what we wanted was an Airstream (we were looking for GOOD joinery work, real wood interior, solid construction, etc... just like on our Egg Harbor). Didn't know it would be so difficult to find such a travel trailer. We were ready to sign on the dotted line for a new 23' CCD when we decided to look once again at a 25' Ocean Breeze. Slept on our decision and wrote down the pros and cons of each. Discovered the 25' had so many more advantages over the 23' that we returned the next day and bought the 25' International SS Ocean Breeze with an equalizer hitch and have never regretted the decision. Good luck with your search and the best thing to do is spend time with those that already own an AS - ask questions and look at as many as possible. Not only is it a lot of fun, you can learn a lot! HAPPY 'STREAMING.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
I'm still looking but.

Well one thing is very obvious, that is the "Airstream Community" is as open and sharing (and unbelievably helpful) as the cruising world of sailing!!!

If it appears that I have not been monitoring this thread, it's because I've been very, very busy contacting everyone and anyone looking for my first AS. We've finally settled on a 25 or 27 Safari FB SE which is something that I can pull with my current TV, has the room and storage we need, and can fit the budget. The wife and I are still working so we willhave to limit the Stramin' to weekends and summers for a couple of years more.

Pilgrim - we've been thru some of the same decision points as you noted. The 23 is a really nice unit but the 25 has just a bit more room and is ideal for Caravanning. The Admiral and I spent three years in Cleveland and we kept the Lord Nelson at Sandusky while we "cruised" what we could of the Great lakes. Unfortunately never got west of Detroit where some real GL wilderness begins.
Moosetags - I see your posts everywhere and they are a tremendous aid. I already have an inflatable kayak (not great but gets me on the water and will give the hard hulls a look. I have room on the top of the TV . Is that where you stow yours or do you use the Travel roof?
StanleyE - The NorSea27 has always been one of my favorite "pocket (albeit big pocket) trailerable cruisers. I really like the snug aft cabin. There was one next to me in Tx for almost 3 years belonging to a women who was single handing the Gulf and East Coasts. Sounds like you have a great plan to land/sea sail "harbor" hopping.
pbearsailor - another kayak and tinker vote I see. Must be something to there that needs further investigation.
Everyone has been wonderful. and the forums are a remarkable library of knowledge that exists nowhere else. In my hunt for an AS, it's quite amazing how many folks I run into that do not yet know of the forums.......... Needless to say, I'm an advocate.
+ May the Wind be always at your Back. SailAS
Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Should have looked at the picture - Duh

Not very observant about the Kayak stoage. Sorry.

SailAS
Old 11-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #9

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Any Town , Mississippi
Dwight,

As a HAM operater what are your ideas on a HF antenna for an Airstream? I too am a HAM but a new HAM. VHF and UHF will not be a problem of course but HF mobile is another dimention.
StanleyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
We lived in Transylvania County in NC, Trout fisherman's Heaven. WE have camped at Cascade Lake and plan to camp at another camp In Cedar Mountain, NC. If you need any information about this area let me know.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
HF antennas for Airstreams

StanleyE - I had a long post all written which suddenly disappeared. Rather than reproduce that here's the synopsis:

1) Temporary types - random length wire, Dipole (trapped if you wish), portabel vertical.

2) "Permanent" - mobiel "whips (avaialbe form many Ham suppliers)

Issues - Grounds or counterpoises (required for verticals and mobile whips not for wire types)

Mobile whips should NOT be mounted on AS bumper of A frame but cou;ld be mounte don roof (since they fold) and work against the trailer.

You will likely need a decent ground rod to drive in to keep the RF from "floating" around the Campgrounds and especially between your ham rig and you (nasty burns on my lips to prove that point.) This will also make you much more liked by your negihbors (who likely do not want to listen to you QSO on their TV or Stereo.)

I have not operted out of an AS but ideally , I would carry:

1) small external antenna tuner like an MFJ
2) long (very long) length of random wire
3) Mobile whip that I could mount on the AS roof and/or the back of the TV.

Diiferent stroke for different folks (and pockerbooks.

SailAS
Old 11-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Dwight said "I have noticed a significant number of members on the forum also also Texans so am also interested in any info on AS "conventions" (or whatever they are called) in the state. Is there is something that takes place in the New Braunsfel area?"

Here in Texas, quite a few Forums folks gather periodically in various locations. The one I am thinking of is the annual Christmas Forums Gathering being held in December at Blaco State Park, Blanco, TX. And while there is a WBCCI unit right there in Houston, the Texas Highland Lakes Unit will be once again sponsoring the Texas Vintage Rally in Montgomery, TX (on the western outskirts of Conroe) in February. The vintage rally is a blast, with 50+ vintage trailers to tour and LOTS of enthusiastic Airstreamers to meet. Please do try to attend!!
Old 11-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #13
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
You don't have to be a member of any club to attend the Vintage rally. Come be a part of it and learn what you can. Last year we stopped registration at 104 trailers. You can read about this rally here on the forums and at thlu.org . You can sign up on line there at thlu.org if so inclined.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Tnx for TX ralley info

GStephens - Thanks for the info. The co-pilot and I will definitely make it up to the vintage ralley as it sounds like alot of fun. Doubt we will be able to make the Dec get together as we will likely still be putting our most recent find into cruising shape. On Sunday (22 Nov), I drove to Denver and bought an '07 Safari SE 25FB. Towed it back on Monday /Tuesday and it is sitting in the driveway now.

It's in amazing shape (the cooker and microwave still have the packing material on/in them) but it will take us several weeks to get it "commissioned" for our cruising.

Hope to see you in Montgomery in Feb.

SailAS / WA5IDX
Old 11-28-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Greetings from a fellow Texan Airstreamer

Good luck in your search. The next Texas rally will be in Bourne Dec. 11-13th. Could be a chance to meet up with some of us local streamers. I bought a 72 Tradewind 25' last February. I looked all over Texas but wound up traveling to Orlando on a 1000 mile trek to get her. It's a great sized trailer and easy to pull. My 22.5' Hunter Sailboat still sits at my office awaiting repairs after Rita. That's another story, miss sailing but the Airstream has been a blast.
Camping World on i10 just west of Katy has several new Airstreams on the lot. Saw a 25' FC today there. Not too far from Sugarland especially if you take Grand Parkwat across to I10.

Check out the Bourne rally if you can, on the portal page there is a listing of the rallies. I'm in West Houston if you need some help from a local.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Houston AirStreamers

RichHog - Thanks. Several folks have mentioned the Bourne Rally in December. Since I now have a Safari 25FB, the wife and I are pouring over the catalogues to get her "commissioned".

We visited with the Camping World folks in Katy a couple of weeks ago and looked at what they had in both AS and others. On my way south from Denver w/ the 07' Safari, i stopped at the CW in Ft. Worth and they had good things to say about the Katy CW folks as well and unlike the FW store is 100% owned by CW. The FW store is colocated with McClains RV who does all the sales.

Seems that "RVing" is a bit like "yachting" in that there is always something to spend money on.... I left Ft. Worth quite a bit lighter than I had hoped after picking up a Reese Straight-line.

Very Happy to be back on the Gulf Coast! Boy was it cold in Denver!!!

SailAS
Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Airstreaming

Those of us who have the vintage coaches are always looking for improvements. As I finish off one part of my list then I just move down to a new part. Though my trailer is a Land Yacht, buying parts for it is nothing like parts for a sailboat, which is why my Hunter is still on jack stands behind my office. Hope to see you at Bourne.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote