Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Smile Rallies in No Man's Land?

For a good six months I've been obsessed with getting an Airstream. I had to cut a deal with my wife: get the house painted (almost done), add subsurface drainage to one side of the house (not done), and concrete over our tiny back yard so little Bambi Safari Globetrotter will have a nice place to live when she's not on the open road. These minor tasks will be completed by year's end. Piece 'o cake, really. But I'm still having a small problem that maybe someone here can offer some advice on (ooops, dangling participle thingy..can you tell wife's an English teacher? ;-)

Problem: I want to actually SEE an Airstream, in person, so I can decide the best model for me, wife, and daughter! We live in Airstream No Man's Land, aka New Orleans, Louisiana. I keep checking and checking the rally listings for one nearby and can't ever seem to find one. There's only one trailer in my neighborhood, a '70's Globetrotter that I DROOL and DROOL over every time I drive by. I've spoken to the owner who also had to consult HIS wife about possibly selling it (it just sits there, year after year) and after leaving note after note I'm starting to think she might not want to get rid of the thing. "But I got CASH here, ma'am! Greenbacks!" Not gonna happen.

So I've resigned myself to checking ebay, craigslist, the local paper, and knowing I'll probably end up driving to some foreign state (where they don't speak Cajun ;-) to purchase. We do have a trip to Orlando scheduled around Christmas so if the New Truck With Tow Package is here by then I might just have to buy myself a REAL Special Christmas Present over there in sunny FL!

All suggestions appreciated. This is a real cool forum but ya'll know that already. I just love how Airstreamers are a real family, a true community. It's so obvious: there's all those ugly boxy white painted trailers (can you say FEMA?) all over the place, but there's only one AIRSTREAM! The education I've gotten here has been amazing. Thanks to all you generous souls who take the time to share what you've learned.

Rick Olivier (fotochop)
New Orleans
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Well, they almost speak Cajun in Searcy, Arkansas. They are good people at Airstream of Arkansas.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Rick, I agree with Vaughn. Good folks in Searcy, AR.
You just missed the Region 6 Rally in Gonzales. Over 150 Airstreams at the Expo center. There are many Airstreamers in your area. The Forum can help you find one if you want a better look at a trailer.
Good luck.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Oh, man, a new Bambi Sport would rock, but kill my bank account. I'll end up with an old Globetrotter probably, IF I can ever find one within 500 miles of here. So did the rally in Gonzales have any vintage units or all new? I'm pretty handy with the Skil saw and soldering iron, but I've seen some real eye-openers on this forum from folks who didn't know what they were getting into with the old units. I'm hoping to find (like thousands of other people) a fairly intact 60's or 70's unit I can do a minor refurb on.

"Region 6" is a WBCCI term?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #5
Silver Lamb

1969 27' Overlander
1961 16' Bambi
Bonner Springs , Kansas
Hey, fotochop, you have good taste. Be patient and keep talking. We found our '69 by letting friends know we were looking for one. One friend said that her brother-in-law had one in a barn. It was 30 years old when we bought it from the original owner and had been tagged in our county since original purchase. We did find our '61 in the local paper and discovered it was only 15-20 minutes away. There is one out there for you! Wish you the best.
EweMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
[quote=fotocop "Region 6" is a WBCCI term?[/quote]

To make a long story short, The Wally Byam Caravan Club International is "International" because it has members in more than just the US. The next divison is "regions", of which their are 12, which are made up of "units", or the local level of membership. A little more to it, but thats the big pieces. I attended the Region 6 rally, trailers of all ages were there.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
Rick - Best of luck on your hunt. There is a WBCCI Unit in New Orleans. The Greater New Orleans Louisiana Unit. Try contacting Tamara Clemmons at (985) 892-8138; she's listed as the Unit's Membership Director. I think they also meet monthly; for more accurate info contact Jim Heneghan 504-393-7993.

If your Unit is anything like mine, it is a goldmine of resources and lessons learned from folks who have been in Airstream's for decades.

Ashley Coco.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Or come see us in Pensacola during a rally.....

The New Orleans unit will visit us at Mystic Springs Airstream Park for Thanksgiving on Nov 15-17. There will be several vintage units present including my 63 GT and probably a 59 vintage unit. Also there may be a new Bambi. All total, there will be 25-35 Airstreams at the park during the rally. We'll be at the park from Thursday evening to Sunday morning. We are going to do some restoration on a 63 Overlander during the rally.

Mystic Springs is 25 miles north of P'cola on US29 or 10 miles south of the Alabama state line on US29.
See:

index
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey fotochop...welcome to the forums and hang in there...Airstreams come to all those who hold the dream close...and you'll already have a place to store your baby when not on the road! Very cool.

Keep the faith and keep an eye out...your AS will find you, fer sure.

Keep us posted!
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Rivet Got it!

Well, if my 'avatar' photo displays at left you'll see what a bit of obsession...uh I mean PERSISTENCE can accomplish. We're now the proud steward/parents of Miss Sapphire, our bouncy 4K lb. baby Safari, born in 1969 but still going strong and back for her second residence in New Orleans! She made the 1100 mile journey from VA to LA just fine and picked up a new tire on the way (watchout for the Lookout Mountain Parkway in Northern Alabama, and thanks Norman for the floor jack..) She was ably towed by her punk-rock brother, Tony, a 2001 tow-packaged V8 Toyota Tundra who came as part of the deal (best not to split up the siblings, etc.) Thus begins the epic....

rick olivier
new orleans
Old 11-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Congrats on Miss Sapphire and the "new" tow vehicle! Are you gonna share some pictures of the new family members with us?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Congratulations Rick (and Wife)

It's nice to get a combo when you can that are proven to work well together. A great way to finish up the Thanks Giving weekend.

Now, more pictures are needed so we can all nod in agreement that you got a super deal.

Barry
Old 11-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #13
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
fotochop, why don't you consider driving over to Montgomery, Texas for the Second Annual Texas Vintage Rally. Texas Highland Lakes and the North Texas units of the WBCCI are doing it again!Same place as last year, Houston North/Lake Conroe KOA at Montgomery, TX. Montgomery is close to I-45, about 60 miles northwest of Houston.

This rally would be a great place for for you to show off your new trailer and learn about other vintage units. The vintage Airstreams will be all together on a side road by a beautiful lake with full hookups. There is a heated pool and great meeting room where there will be numerous seminars devoted to restoration and other vintage issues. Rally fees will be adjusted for those not able to attend the entire event.

Like last year, we will have entertainment, one catered meal, a new trailer exhibit, one giant pot luck, and a widely advertised open house Saturday afternoon. Vintage rigs will be parked together on a side road along the lake. Last year, we had the then new Base Camp on display. I'll bet we will have one of the new Sport models this year. Look for seminars, demonstrations, time around a big campfire, and door prizes. Don't look for any formal fal-de-ral.

WBCCI membership is NOT required, simply be an owner of any Airstream product built in any year. Last year, we had 75 rigs, 26 were vintage. See more details at the Region 9 website.
There are 5 forums people already enrolled for this event:GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #14
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
We do have a trip to Orlando scheduled around Christmas so if the New Truck With Tow Package is here by then I might just have to buy myself a REAL Special Christmas Present over there in sunny FL!
Fotochop, there is a rally on January 4-7 at Topsail in Destin, FL. If you are going home from Orlando around that time, you may want to stop in. There will be around 50 units at this rally and folks coming from as far away as Ontario, Canada and as close as down the street. Lots of Airstreams to look at including some Globetrotters.

Great people, great fun, lots of learning, what more could you ask for! Hope to see you there!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
[QUOTE=GStephens]fotochop, why don't you consider driving over to Montgomery, Texas for the Second Annual Texas Vintage Rally. Texas Highland Lakes and the North Texas units of the WBCCI are doing it again!Same place as last year, Houston North/Lake Conroe KOA at Montgomery, TX. Montgomery is close to I-45, about 60 miles northwest of Houston.

Most excellent! If this coincides with mardi Gras we will almost certainly be there (last year we went to Austin). Would be a great time to see other vintage folks! thanks

r.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Yes, Topsail park is fantastic I've been there. Will be driving back (w/o AS) from Disney and will try to stop in and check out some vintage action. I've posted a few photos of Sapphire if anyone wants to look-see. Today I lubed and repaired all the window latches and pulled the NT-22 furnace for replacement. Great feeling to begin re-habbing something I've wanted for so long! I feel like the trailer is getting happy and enjoys the attention...my Aluminitus has gone terminal!

rick olivier (fotochop)
new orleans

« At last! | Top | new member »