Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
In , Maine
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12
Question about questions

My wife and I started looking at TT's over a year ago, starting with RPods and other smallish rigs, and find ourselves constantly drawn to Airsteams. We have lots of questions (what is the measurement between the edge of the bed and the partition in a Sport 22FB for instance), and am wondering which of the forums is where we should be asking this kind of stuff? I found this site last week... Its great and has been really interesting and is obviously a wonderful resource... Thanks!!
__________________

__________________
Upupandaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
Urbanologist's Avatar
 
2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upupandaway
My wife and I started looking at TT's over a year ago, starting with RPods and other smallish rigs, and find ourselves constantly drawn to Airsteams. We have lots of questions (what is the measurement between the edge of the bed and the partition in a Sport 22FB for instance), and am wondering which of the forums is where we should be asking this kind of stuff? I found this site last week... Its great and has been really interesting and is obviously a wonderful resource... Thanks!!
Not being cute with this suggestion! I would get my trusty Stanly tape out and head for a dealer (if buying new) -- if you make it CLEAR that you want to be given some SPACE to due your research. Or contact Jim Parret or Karen Vetter at the Mothership for the technical data you desire. They will direct you to the archive or get the info to you. If you have the last six of the VIN the search is faster. Good shopping!!
__________________

__________________
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
Or contact Jim Parret or Karen Vetter at the Mothership for the technical data you desire.
Upupandaway, since this was your first-ever post, let me welcome you to the AirForums. You've got questions; we've got answers. Some good, some not, some contradictory, some tongue-in-cheek, some off-topic, hopefully all entertaining as well as informative.

When Urbanologist says "Mothership" what is meant is the Airstream factory at Jackson Center, Ohio.

Aside from the jargon a newcomer might not know, Urbanologist's advice is good. There is no substitute for a walk-through, whether it's at a Jackson Center factory tour, a dealer's lot, an AirForums or Airstream Club rally, a WBCCI "buddy" rally where we let non-members attend, or just a casual encounter at your local campground. Whether they like to brag about it or complain about it, I doubt there's such a thing as an Airstream owner who's shy about showing it off.

Dealers are accustomed to not making the sale every time. Before I bought my Airstream, I visited the dealer no less than four times, each time with different questions. They'll usually even be willing to hold the "dumb" end of the tape measure for you, as long as there aren't other customers on the lot who also need to be shown around.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
AirsDream's Avatar
 
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 914
Yes, welcome ... and fire away with questions. Without a doubt, this is the one place on the planet where someone will know the answer to any question you have. And sometimes the folks at the factory are busy, but there's always someone here to answer a question. Moreover, together with LOTS of opinions (usually based upon tens of thousands of miles of towing and hundreds of days and nights of use) occasionally you will actually get a correct answer!

If you are thinking about buying an Airstream, seems to me that there are two first things you should do: 1.) get to your nearest dealer and spend some time in new coaches, sitting, peering into cabinets, lying on the bed, visualizing cooking, sitting on the can, etc. This will give you lots of spatial information that a floor plan can't give you; and then 2.) find a nearby Forum rally or WBCCI rally and just drop in. Folks will be very glad to give you tours ... this way you can learn how folks have modified their coaches in ways you might want to consider. And they'll give you a "user's perspective" - which might be same as or different from, that of a dealer or the factory.

Good luck in your searach. Took me nearly two years to find / buy mine!
__________________
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
Urbanologist's Avatar
 
2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

Upupandaway, since this was your first-ever post, let me welcome you to the AirForums. You've got questions; we've got answers. Some good, some not, some contradictory, some tongue-in-cheek, some off-topic, hopefully all entertaining as well as informative.

When Urbanologist says "Mothership" what is meant is the Airstream factory at Jackson Center, Ohio.

Aside from the jargon a newcomer might not know, Urbanologist's advice is good. There is no substitute for a walk-through, whether it's at a Jackson Center factory tour, a dealer's lot, an AirForums or Airstream Club rally, a WBCCI "buddy" rally where we let non-members attend, or just a casual encounter at your local campground. Whether they like to brag about it or complain about it, I doubt there's such a thing as an Airstream owner who's shy about showing it off.

Dealers are accustomed to not making the sale every time. Before I bought my Airstream, I visited the dealer no less than four times, each time with different questions. They'll usually even be willing to hold the "dumb" end of the tape measure for you, as long as there aren't other customers on the lot who also need to be shown around.
Thanks -- my manners were still sleeping!!
__________________
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
Urbanologist's Avatar
 
2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 212
Upupandaway, since this was your first-ever posting, I bid you welcome also!
__________________
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Scott J-24's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 731
Welcome to the forum. This IS the place to get your questions answered both before and after your AS search and purchase. Good luck with your hunt!
__________________
Scott, Becky & Heidi (our standard poodle and travel companion)
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
Urbanologist's Avatar
 
2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upupandaway
My wife and I started looking at TT's over a year ago, starting with RPods and other smallish rigs, and find ourselves constantly drawn to Airsteams. We have lots of questions (what is the measurement between the edge of the bed and the partition in a Sport 22FB for instance), and am wondering which of the forums is where we should be asking this kind of stuff? I found this site last week... Its great and has been really interesting and is obviously a wonderful resource... Thanks!!
Btw (By the way), you mentioned the 22' AS. I have a 2008 and like it for its ease of use and scale. The 2009 FB (Front Bed) and CS (Curb Side) seating/dinning area really improved the floor plan going forward to the current model year. The one "challenge" is who will do the most climbing over the other from the FB to anything beyond the partition once you turn in for the night. We'd flip a coin to see whom slept at the front window (having a little fun!).That lasted 10 months! \;-() Take your time and ask the AS Community loads of questions.
__________________
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
In , Maine
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12
Thanks everybody, we've been to the closest dealer (last summer), and did the 1st go around. Unfortunately they are 3hrs away, next closest is about 4. The good thing is that we arent put off by a road trip and are willing to travel further if neccessary. The question is of course what they actually have in stock, which is easy to find out. We have some ideas of potential models that we feel we can fiddle with to get just right, so if I can get some info ahead of time it might save a trip. Thanks for the welcome, I know I'll have lots of questions... Such as... Our TV is a Toyota Tundra 5.7L .any thing I should know? We will be hauling something 25' or less....
__________________
Upupandaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
Urbanologist's Avatar
 
2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upupandaway
Thanks everybody, we've been to the closest dealer (last summer), and did the 1st go around. Unfortunately they are 3hrs away, next closest is about 4. The good thing is that we arent put off by a road trip and are willing to travel further if neccessary. The question is of course what they actually have in stock, which is easy to find out. We have some ideas of potential models that we feel we can fiddle with to get just right, so if I can get some info ahead of time it might save a trip. Thanks for the welcome, I know I'll have lots of questions... Such as... Our TV is a Toyota Tundra 5.7L .any thing I should know? We will be hauling something 25' or less....
Have one; 2010 Limited (Platinum) Crewmax 4x2 Short Bed -- you can pull a PanAm with ease with proper weight-distribution hitch. I use a EZA Lift and two EZA Lift Anti-Sway units with 1400# round trunion bars. If you are going to be at less than 25' you can scale back to 1200 or 1000 pound bars. The 1200# units give the advantage for growth and obviously, 1400# covers you to 34'.
__________________
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Scott J-24's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upupandaway View Post
Thanks everybody, we've been to the closest dealer (last summer), and did the 1st go around. Unfortunately they are 3hrs away, next closest is about 4. The good thing is that we arent put off by a road trip and are willing to travel further if neccessary. The question is of course what they actually have in stock, which is easy to find out. We have some ideas of potential models that we feel we can fiddle with to get just right, so if I can get some info ahead of time it might save a trip. Thanks for the welcome, I know I'll have lots of questions... Such as... Our TV is a Toyota Tundra 5.7L .any thing I should know? We will be hauling something 25' or less....
We pull our '27FB International with a Tundra CrewMax 4x4 with the 5.7L engine with ease, you will have no problems with a 25' rig.
__________________

__________________
Scott, Becky & Heidi (our standard poodle and travel companion)
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.