Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #1

1972 29' Ambassador
Golden Valley , Minnesota
Purchasing Info.

Hi:

We are new to the forum. We are looking at buying an older Airstream and have found a 1973 Land Yacht Overlander that looks intriguing. Can anyone give us information as to what to look for when purchasing. This unit has a rear bathroom and I know about checking to see if the back floor is detaching by the bumper. We would appreciate any other tips.

Thank you!!

Elljay
elljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Welcome, Elljay. While I do not have much knowledge about your model, I would suggest using the very effective search feature on this site. You can also do an advaced search and select your model from the drop down dialog box. Congrats on selecting an Airstream and good luck with your info search.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by elljay
Hi:
This unit has a rear bathroom and I know about checking to see if the back floor is detaching by the bumper. We would appreciate any other tips.

Thank you!!

Elljay
To check for frame separation, stand on the very end of the bumper and bounce up and down. If the seam between belly band and bumper opens and closes as you bounce up and down, you have frame separation. If it is less than 3/16 in., it is minor but still requires corrective action before it worsens. If it gapes, you got it bad.

Check both sides.

This method doesn't work if the stablizer jacks are down. Don't ask me how I know this.

Get the seller's permission before you make this check; otherwise you may be accused of causing the damage.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Rear baths are great!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Also using an ice pick or similiar, you want to check for floor rot that may be hidden by carpet, etc, by poiking thru for soft spots, especially near the windows, and front and rear curved areas. Any leaks that may be detected are possible causes.
Try any and all systems too, water, a/c, stove, heater, ec.
See if lights and outlets work when plugged in to shore power.
Ask about axles, brakes and the service done on them, also look at tires for cracks. There's more if you do search here.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #5

1972 29' Ambassador
Golden Valley , Minnesota
Smile Thank you!

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful responses. We are still looking for the right AS and your comments are very helpful.

Elljay
elljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Lots to consider...

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

There is a link below that you might find helpful to read. Has lots of good suggestions to think about! Somewhere there is a checklist (I think...) but I can't remember where I have seen it.

Be sure you look for a Airstream that will meet your familys needs and desires for the type of camping you like. Length is a consideration if you like to camp in forest service type campgrounds. Also a consideration for size depending on your tow vehicle.

Here is the thread ~ it has excellent suggestions from our smart and experienced forum members...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...eam-22920.html

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote