Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
longmont , Colorado
Lightbulb pullin' out

hello all, im joining the caravan, moving to the rhythm of the airstream,
looking for adventure and open spaces.
actually im trying to set up a sabbatical excursion for my wife following her 10+ years of intensive efforts in the senior patient representative role of a major trauma hospital.
so, she will retire soon and we envision puling a bambi for three months through the usa without a rigid schedule.
starting and ending in austin tx.
now, questions:
can i rent a bambi for this outing....
do any of you want to sale your bambi....
and what about pulling a motorcycle trailer behind the bambi behind a land rover....
how do you see this trip unfolding for us.... all responses will be hitched onto with pleasure.
thanks and travel well
glarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Airstreaming.

My opinion, you probalby will not find anyone willing to rent their baby....uh, Bambi, so I would suggest you look at the classifieds here, and places like Craigslist.

I think you will find the opinion of most here as well as Airstream, it is not a good idea to pull another trailer, no matter how light, behind an Airstream.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not sure of how soon you will begin, but Airstreams do not function well below freezing weather (nor hot weather). Consider bicycles for local sightseeing, you can't pull motorcycles. Think lightweight necessities for everything.

If you get an Airstream, I would suggest you begin your journey with the Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBBCI) on one of their caravans. Check out their website for future caravans. You will be with very experienced Airstreamers, excellent way learn how to travel by Airstream. There is quite a learning curve.

Warning: Airstreaming is habit-forming and good for your health. If get hooked, you may want something a bit larger (23'-25') than the Bambi sooner rather than later.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Motorcycles /airstreaming/fulltiming

The people I know that full time Airstream with motorcycles put the cycle in the back of the truck and have a ramp that they can lower or a tommy lift. You might also consider an Panamerican Airstream toy hauler for $106,000 plus tow vehicle. I do not see you being able to rent an Airstream rig that will accomplish your goal.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Austin , Texas
You can put a motorcycle in the back of a Eddie Bauer airstream. I just bought one myself and live in Austin.
StagrLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What everyone else said. Eddie Bauer or Pan American - they are the only toy haulers Airstream makes, and they aren't heavy duty haulers.

Put it up in the bed of the truck. You'll be happier and safer!

Oh, and the Bambi is as cute as they come... but if you get aluminitis... bet you can't eat just ONE.

Paula