Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #1

1961 24' Tradewind
Frisco , Texas
Proud owners of a 1961 Tradewind Custom Interior

Hello fellow Airstreamers! My son and I just pulled the 'ole gal back from Kansas to Dallas this last weekend and along with my other two kids and wife, we all LOVE it! We are determining what major systems need attention forst. We do know that all is original except the AC unit on top (orig owner added that in 1988; we are the 3rd owner of the AS) as well as the tires are new(er). We will replace the original 10 gal Bowen water heater with a tankless Girard if possible, replace the LP tanks to nice Worthington 40# twins and regualtors, also the original Norcold fridge needs repairing due to it not getting cold when its hot out side. (repair or replace??). Lots of fun and we all are so excited.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASFront.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	155387   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Side.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	155388  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Door Stickers.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	576.5 KB
ID:	155389  
Tkhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkhogg View Post
Hello fellow Airstreamers! My son and I just pulled the 'ole gal back from Kansas to Dallas this last weekend and along with my other two kids and wife, we all LOVE it! We are determining what major systems need attention forst. We do know that all is original except the AC unit on top (orig owner added that in 1988; we are the 3rd owner of the AS) as well as the tires are new(er). We will replace the original 10 gal Bowen water heater with a tankless Girard if possible, replace the LP tanks to nice Worthington 40# twins and regualtors, also the original Norcold fridge needs repairing due to it not getting cold when its hot out side. (repair or replace??). Lots of fun and we all are so excited.
Congrats on your purchase! She looks like a great trailer. Seriously, nice find!

Make sure to address the axle sooner rather than later, if it truly is original. That cost should probably be undertaken before nice things like a Tankless Girard or a set of shiny Worthingtons.

Otherwise, make sure to keep us updated!!!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #3

1961 24' Tradewind
Frisco , Texas
Thanks worldinchaos, you are correct. What to look for on the axle to make sure its solid? I'm not a mechanic, nut have on at the RV storage facility I store it at. Thanks
Tkhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkhogg View Post
Thanks worldinchaos, you are correct. What to look for on the axle to make sure its solid? I'm not a mechanic, nut have on at the RV storage facility I store it at. Thanks
Well first off, are they Dura-torque's, or the leaf spring style? I believe 1961 was the year they changed, but Airstream never did anything all at once so your 1961 model could just as easily have gone either way. A really good resource is here: Frequently Asked Questions

Also, Andy has a good article at Inland if you do happen to have the Dura-Torques: Dura Torque Axle

If you've got leaf springs, any RV mechanic that you trust can check it out.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags