Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

1968 30' Sovereign
Yuma , Arizona
Proud new owner of a 1968 30' Landyacht

Hello everyone.

I am a brand new travel trailer owner. My wife and I knew we wanted a AS but thought it was going to be forever before we could afford one. Well we lucked out one day and i guess you can say it fell into my lap. Long story short we got our AS for a killer deal and we have started the process of remodeling/restoring her. There were previous attempts at renovations that left our AS with little original parts. So far i only have the original electrical board/box with the gauges. Im sure i will be posting for help a lot on here. We currently live in YUMA AZ and we do have a few RV places around the area. We would love to know of any recommendations anyone has from sheet metal work to electrical. We are willing to travel up to 5 hours away if we need to.
Riggern8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
Welcome to the 1960s Airstream elite club!!!!

Former Arizona resident here . . . still have my AZ driver's license!

Let's see some photos.

I briefly owned a '68 Sovereign as well. I rescued it from the wet woods of Ohio. It too was Arizona bound . . . . maybe you have mine!

I think the people I sold it to were from Florida (or the Carolinas?) but had some land somewhere in the desert southwest of the Grand Canyon . . . some remote area with no water if I recall. That was 2007.

I did some floor repair around the door, fixed some lights, a few other fixes with some things from Vintage Trailer Supply, basic cleaning, sold it, and sent it on its way. Didn't make a dime on the flip but was happy to breathe life into the Sovereign. When I had it, most of the original interior was there . . . though maybe not the gaucho/bed in front. Unfortunately I don't have photos.

You can see photos of my new-to-me '62 Safari here: http://www.utahredrock.com/2017/05/a...mer-again.html
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Riggern8,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your find. We think you're off to an excellent start by finding this forum. We see a significant improvement in our efforts between our first restoration (before we found the forums) and our second. Keep reading posts and asking questions, someone here has run into whatever your facing and has solved the problem. What's even better is, they'll share what worked and what didn't.

Here's a link to our '68 project, if interested. https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39...er-155180.html

It sounds like you may not have a lot of the old interior components, so let us know if you need dimensions or info. Our trailer is 4' shorter than yours, but probably pretty similar. Starting with a blank slate is an exciting prospect, but think through where the exterior openings are located (refrigerator roof vent, furnace vent, storage compartments, water heater, etc. Those locations can be significant as you figure out what you want the layout to be. It's a lot of time and effort to move a refrigerator vent to the other side of the trailer, for example. It can be done, but probably wouldn't be worth it.

Good luck and enjoy the project phase.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote