Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Proud New 2008 Safari Sport 17' Owners in So Cal

Just closed a deal on our first Airstream. Actually, moving up from our TAB to this shiny new 2008 Airstream Safari Sport 17'. Best news is we can still use our Ford Escape to pull it

Going camping to San Diego this weekend, can't wait !

Mike & Tricia
Orange County, CA
OnSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new baby.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome to the forums. I bet you guys are psyched to have a potty and shower on board unlike the T@B.

Let us know how it fit's your travels.

Steve
Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Welcome to the forums. I bet you guys are psyched to have a potty and shower on board unlike the T@B.

Let us know how it fit's your travels.

Steve
Uh, ya. That and the additional headroom we will be very happy campers Last time we went camping in the TAB in San Diego, we were dodging a pack of coyotes and a scorpion in the womens bath room during a late night biffy run. That pretty much freaked my wife and I out !!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi and welcome aboard!

I love that trailer. I know you are jazzed too.

Here in SoCal we have a pretty active group of campers known as CalStreamers. No dues, membership or rules. Jump in on the CalStreamers thread and join in. Everybody is always welcome to come along.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Another welcome to the forum - congratulations on your new purchase.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Congrats and have a great first voyage!

Wayne&Sam
Orange County, NY
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Welcome. It is a great upgrade from a T@B.

Did they start to put bumpers on the Sport line?

Also, depending on what model Escape you have, I can see it may have a 3500lb max tow rating. Taking a full tank of gas, passengers and cargo (which all get deducted from the 3500lb tow rating), I would be careful in hilly or mountain areas as you most likely have between 3000 and 3100lbs or tow capacity going by the specs alone. With a 103" wheelbase and a slightly higher center of gravity, you also might have to be careful in windy conditions. The specs on the 17' sport have a GVWR of 3500lbs, which could be fairly easy to hit given that it has an NCC of about 700lbs and an dry weight of 2800lbs.

I think the comfort zone you have with the Escape might not be fully warranted, but if you are careful, on flatland, I think you might be able to pull it off. Personally, I'd feel better having a 4500-5000lb tow rating with about 115" of wheelbase, but I am kind of conservative since my exp towing in a similar situation to yours.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Welcome. It is a great upgrade from a T@B.

Did they start to put bumpers on the Sport line?

Also, depending on what model Escape you have, I can see it may have a 3500lb max tow rating. Taking a full tank of gas, passengers and cargo (which all get deducted from the 3500lb tow rating), I would be careful in hilly or mountain areas as you most likely have between 3000 and 3100lbs or tow capacity going by the specs alone. With a 103" wheelbase and a slightly higher center of gravity, you also might have to be careful in windy conditions. The specs on the 17' sport have a GVWR of 3500lbs, which could be fairly easy to hit given that it has an NCC of about 700lbs and an dry weight of 2800lbs.

I think the comfort zone you have with the Escape might not be fully warranted, but if you are careful, on flatland, I think you might be able to pull it off. Personally, I'd feel better having a 4500-5000lb tow rating with about 115" of wheelbase, but I am kind of conservative since my exp towing in a similar situation to yours.
Ya, I know we are maxing out our trucks capability and will upgrade in a couple years. We are getting the Equalizer and plan on traveling light (there is only two of us). So hopefully, it will work out.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Welcome, We where also T@B owners, who moved up to a Airstream. Those night night bathroom runs in the rain and cold!! We loved the T@B and where ever we went people wanted to look at it, got us alot of attention at campgrounds. We thought about moving up to a T@DA but we didn't like the looks, and for $18K you can buy a nice used Airstream. We even toured the factory and checked out the first T@DA. Welcome to the forums, and enjoy having a bathroom!
Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats! Enjoy the new trailer! We also have a T@B. Like others, I wish it had a bathroom - but I'm very happy that it's easily towed by our Honda Odyssey. Love not messing with brake controllers and weight distribution hitches.

Given current prices, I think we would have wound up with a Sport 17' if it had a larger bed (love the big bed in our T@B TQ).
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I was at a music festival a couple of years ago and stopped to admire a T@B. Neat camper. I spoke with the owners awhile and at one point (not knowing it was mine) they said "We'd really like to get a tour of that Airstream over there because that's what we'd really like to have." I told them I thought I could arrange a tour!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We're active on the T@B forums - more than a few of folks there make the move to Airstreams. Too bad the T@DA isn't as appealing of a product - or that they don't import the bigger T@Bs from Europe. I'd think Thor/T@B would be able to hold their customers better if they had better bigger product; after all, very few folks leave T@B because they're mad with the design or quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
"We'd really like to get a tour of that Airstream over there because that's what we'd really like to have." I told them I thought I could arrange a tour!
LOL - a 20' Safari SE is what we'd really like to have too.
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
We really loved our T@B and really are kind of depressed to get rid of it. We actually started camping for the first time (we have been sailors for years, however) about 4 years ago when we purchased a Little Guy tear drop. Loved it too Then moved up to the T@B and now to the Sport.

But we are definitely looking forward to owning an Airstream. Even though it isn't quite as "cute" as the T@B, it's pretty darn close. We are heading to Pio Pico Thousand Trails on Saturday after picking up the Sport from the dealer here in Orange County. Can't wait for our first night !
Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Orange , Texas
Mike & Tricia
i will be picking up a new 2008 17 sport next week . So after a month with your new airstream how do you like it and any pointer for the wife and me
Lou
louski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by louski View Post
Mike & Tricia
i will be picking up a new 2008 17 sport next week . So after a month with your new airstream how do you like it and any pointer for the wife and me
Lou

Hi Lou and wife,

Congrats on your new Airstream. Be prepared for lots of complements and attention when you are camping We are loving it and are camping nearly every weekend. I am typing this from the KOA on the strip in Las Vegas. There really is nothing we would change about it.

Let us know if you ever have any questions.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Orange , Texas
mike & Tricia
Good luck in Vagas and good luck in the gaming Houses I work in one in Lake Charles, hit and run is your best bet. Its Sunday have four more days to wait..... looking forward to the Silver Easter Egg
Lou & Val
louski is offline   Reply With Quote