Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
Question Proud mother of a grand old 1964 Tradewind with lots of questions.....

Hi Everybody! So glad to be here......I have more questions than all of you put together but could I start with two?
Floorplans? In my Airstream the double bed and the fridge are on one side and the sink and 3 burner? stove are on the other side same as the entrance. I down loaded a floorplan from airstreammotorhomes.com and the plan seems reversed with a four burner stove. What's up?
Second, upholstery...?Although orginal, mines petrified....does anybody know how much it will cost to get new foam and fabric for the two double beds? Any suggestions? Thanks all.

Whoops, one more question...how often does everybody repack their ball bearings?(Hope I'm not getting too personal here!}

Thanks again, Andra
(AKA the Glass Goddess)
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Andra,

Welcome to the forum!

I can't answer your question about the floorplan but I recently got a quote to have new cushions made for our L-shaped couch with new, upgraded foam over what we currently have.

The price was approx $1,300.00

Most of the cost was for the covers but the upholsterer kept apologizing about how much the foam prices have increased since they are an oil based product.

We were looking at an ultra-suede material which was about $32 / yd.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forums! Could it be yours has a custom interior?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Thank Dennis

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah we know about the high cost of foam, it's 'cause it is a petroleum based product. Regaurding UltraSuede, there is a less expensive and more durable alternative called SunSuede, resist stains and UV, less pricey. One last thought, we have a Sofa purchased at the Sofa Factory (they are all over the US) and they cover virtually all of there furniture with this fabric that is bionic! It looks like suede, yet it is 100% stain resistant (trust me, my hubby spilled red wine all over a cream sofa), and can stand for high heats and UV and for the price of their things, it's got to be cheap..What year and model does your family have>? Better yet, in the Airstsream world, do you own it or does it own you? Thanx, A.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Gee, was that an option?

Bringing up a fourth question, as I don't have the manual or the Airstream with me (picking up at the end of the week) someone asked me if it was 1 or 2 axesl, it has 2.....does that mean it could be something else? Gosh, I sound ill informed, however, what if any role does the number of axels have to do with floorplans and models? Thanks. A.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
can you give us the serial number and maybe some pictures . . . it does sound like you have a "mirrored" floor plan from what i've seen in other tradewinds but i'm not that familiar w/64's . . . pictures, pictures, pictures

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1964 Tradewinds had a single axle, I think. The Overlander, which is 26 feet long, had two axles.

Here is a good photographic resource:

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

Do you have any pictures of yours you can post? Folks here can help identify it. If you have the serial number, someone here can decipher it and tell you exactly what you have.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Some of the Overlanders for 1964 have the sink and stove next to the door, with the fridge opposite (judging from the photos at Vintageairstream.com). Could it be that you have an Overlander?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Thanks Everybody!

I think, that everyone is correct, and I am an Idiot.....It is a Overlander....that explains the confusion....tomorrow I am going down to look at the owners manual...it explains a lot! You all are great! Thanks, but still no one seems to want to get personal, how often do you all, repack the wheel bearings...every gratefull, yours, A.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome the the forums from a fellow Coloradoan!

We pack our wheel bearings every 2-1/2 -3 years depending on number of miles traveled - about 10-15,000 miles - might be a bit on the frequent side.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Thanks for the Bearing info

Thanks for your input. At first I was told I should have them repacked every 3000 miles, that really seemed to often.

This is also so new to us. I looked at several AirStreams and had my info confused. I was looking at a 72' and 69' (trashed) and found tihs one. I am the proud owner of a 1966 Overland International Double. She's in beautiful condition considering her years. My husband is the one who always wanted an Airstream and now we can share his dream. I just order new foam and aphostery as the original was sort of petrified. She has a new heater, brand new fridge, new pumps, new toilet so mostly I need to give her TLC in the interior. I need to figure out what to name her!
Thanks again. Andra
Old 05-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dureedesign
Thanks for your input. At first I was told I should have them repacked every 3000 miles, that really seemed to often.
That's the recommended number of miles for changing the oil!
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
That's the recommended number of miles for changing the oil!
Ya Know..............I've been having a really hard time finding that darn oil drain plug on the blasted trailer .........time for another Mojitoooooooooooooh
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Hmm, just makes ya think about slowing down for that ole couch on trash day! I'm not cheap...I'm recycling
Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #15
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
oil change

Dah, very funny. I know lots about my trucks and cars, just this bearing packing thing sounded wrong, that's why I counted on this forum. Thanks for your help and humor
Old 05-03-2007, 09:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Thanks for your help and humor
There are ample supplies of both here
Old 05-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #17
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
I need to figure out what to name her!
Thanks again. Andra
Give it time - get to know her and her personality, and a name just might reveal itself (that's how it happened with our Airstreams - when we tried to name them, it just didn't work!)
Old 05-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #18
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
can you give us the serial number and maybe some pictures . . . it does sound like you have a "mirrored" floor plan from what i've seen in other tradewinds but i'm not that familiar w/64's . . . pictures, pictures, pictures
Hi, I think I have it squared away...1966 Overlander.. I have the VIN number...is there a way to research it's history by the VIN? Is there a site that provides this information?
Thanks, Andra
Old 05-07-2007, 09:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Andra,
This Site is essential:

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

scroll down to what you think you have and then click on the model and there will be photos and serial number information . . . and then 4 hours later you'll say whoa, time flies when you're having fun. We look forward to seeing photos . . . good luck.
Mark
. . . but it won't give you specific info on your trailer . . . and now I see that someone already gave you that link (editing on the fly so to speak, I guess 'cause no one else has posted comments, I can still edit my post)

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, 1964 tradewind