Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Kalamazoo , Michigan
PropWash from AZO checking in!

Greetings all. Long time lurker, new Airstream owner as of yesterday.

Yesterday I brought home a 1978 Argosy 24 that I spotted on Craigslist in West Michigan.

My wife and I bought a 'Craigslist Special' TT last fall and enjoyed camping in it with our 2 young children, but the thing (I call dreadnought) was too large for my TV and was meant to be a low-cost 'experiment'.

Just before we went on a 8 day camping trip on the lakeshore, we spotted the Argosy ad and paid a deposit on it on our way to the campground.

We are THRILLED to finally be in the classic Airstream community and look forward to getting (the yet unnamed trailer) up to snuff for our needs.

So far I managed to get the Furnace, Fridge, Pumps, and Hot Water heater working.

The stuff that is on the list are (not in any particular order)

1: New power converter. The univolt is not there.
2: Replace potty. Was not used much, seals bad.
3: Reconnect shower hoses (pipes were changed to colored PEX, but shower was not finished)
4:Repair shower floor
5:Shades / curtains
6: Fix seal issue on water pump
7: Replace any external seals before winter!!!
8: Need window road protectors
9: CAMP!

We do a combination of boondocking and powered camping and I really look forward to a great future together!

Nick

https://plus.google.com/photos/10821...713?banner=pwa

PropWash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome!

You have the first 24' Argosy I've seen with that window pattern, I wonder if it was a custom option or if they just added a window in later years. Older Argosy24 trailers on the street-side just had the small window (which was over the sink) and the larger window above the bed. It looks like your small window (plus a stack window) is by the dinette, with a bigger window above the sink than early 24s had. That and the bunks make your trailer unusual, at least in my experience.

Regarding your shower water supply: This is a pretty common problem on rear-bath Argosy trailers. I think that these pipes, held against the rear interior skin, were sensitive to freezing and typically expanded beyond what normal fittings would connect to, requiring some improvisation. The purist's method involves peeling back the plastic shower wall to access the faucet, which then allows you to install a newer faucet. I've managed to avoid putting THAT task off for 3 years so far. The PO of my 24' trailer rigged a connection to the expanded pipes inside the cabinet under the bathroom sink, and there thankfully are no splits in the pipes between there and the shower valves.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Kalamazoo , Michigan
There are about 2 inches of plastic pipe extending under the sink from the shower. That said, I think I'm going to remove the panel since I need to remove the toilet to repair some seals or replace it.

Also, it looks like I'll need to pull the rear belly pan to get to the black water tank seals. They dont seal anymore.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Welcome to the forums. That is one nice looking Argosy, with lots of personality! Enjoy it!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Looks like a great find... Wondering from Forum name if you won't be taking it to Camp Scholler in OSH in late July time frames...Once you get it working to your expectations, you are going to have a great time.. We met a bunch of great people with Airstreams and Argosy's at OSH years ago putting story together for Airstream Life...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Kalamazoo , Michigan
I have yet to attend any events at OSH since I was a kid. That said, this Argosy was owned by a guy who took it to OSH 1985-1995 (and the Lakeland fly-in). He maintained an extensive usage log of the trailer like a flight log!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Small update.

Did a thorough inspection and found the infamous rear floor rot. Knowing that the rear seals are useless, I started to Vulkem the rear section and seams to stop further water intrusion.

I also removed the rear 'bumper extension' that supported the cargo box as it clearly added more load to the rear of the frame rails and added to the flex at the rear seams. The old bumper went back into its original place (with much physical motivation).

I started to re-seal the remaining usual suspects with the highly suggested sealers. I hope to have the seals done before I head to China for a few weeks so I can start on the repairs in the rear bathroom when I return (finish plumbing shower, repair shower pan, finx or replace toilet)
Old 08-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Kalamazoo , Michigan
I also tried out some NEVERWET on the rear section where I re-sealed the seams. Ill post some video of the results and will update on how well the stuff actually holds up through the Michigan winter.

That said, I hope to put off the rear section teardown / wood C-channel fix for a year or so so we can USE it before major teardown work. Fingers crossed

(I also think I found indoor storage I can use on the cheap this winter)
Old 08-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Updated pics with bumper reattached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-924279148.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	192805   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3990453566.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	192806  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4153592370.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	192807  
Old 08-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
As this is an International Forum, the airport would be KAZO, wink, wink. Welcome to the forums from another fellow aviator from KBJC
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Another welcome to our community. Very nice looking unit (the crease in the rear upper panel looks like the PO backed into something, or something fell onto it).

Looks like you have a nice project, but much can be done while enjoying it.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote