Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
slaughters , Kentucky
Problem with '84 345 with hydronic heating!!

Thanks for the welcome! The forums have already given me much valuable information. I have a 24' 1965 and an '84 345. The 345 has a hydronic heating (circulating warm water) system with front and reat heating systems. Does anyone have information/suggestions about repair,renewal,or replacement of this heating system??

Thank you very much. joegooch@hotmail.com
joe gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Boy Howdy, I did not know hydronics existed in those coaches. Are you talking about the
copper lines that run along the roadside floor? That is not a hydronic system.
Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
slaughters , Kentucky
Hi Mike,
I am talking about those 3/4" lines that run along the bottom of the inside floors that have 3" radiators on them. Also, there are openings at the window level for the warm air to radiate. And, these lines run the perimeter of the coach into two--rear and front--propane gas furnaces. And, the furnaces have circulation pumps to push the heated water through the radiators.

Thanks, Joe
Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
We have an 85 345 and no such system. I think it may be an add on. We do have an under couch heater that is fed off the engine coolant when the coach is going down the road.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegooch View Post
Hi Mike,
I am talking about those 3/4" lines that run along the bottom of the inside floors that have 3" radiators on them. Also, there are openings at the window level for the warm air to radiate. And, these lines run the perimeter of the coach into two--rear and front--propane gas furnaces. And, the furnaces have circulation pumps to push the heated water through the radiators.

Thanks, Joe
As Cooperhawk said, that must be a add on, see what your files show, sure
would be interested in how that was done and what furnaces were used.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
slaughters , Kentucky
Hello Mike and Cooperhawk,

The hydronic heating system is a Dometic Model # 2928, factory installed furnace. The system works with heat exchangers with the propane furnace heating the water and the circulation pumps circulate the water in the radiators through the heat exchanger.

Also, under the couch there is another heat exchanger so that the heat from the coach's engine can be used to warm the water circulating through the radiators when under way.

This coach has never had any air heating system. It is factory installed hydronic heating.

Are there other RV brands that may have hydronic heating?

The heated water in the heat exchanger is also the source for warm water in the bathroom, etc.

This coach was used by Dometic in its early years as a demonstrator for Dometic appliances.

Thank you for your interest and help!!

Joe