Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #1

Granite Falls , North Carolina
Potential Newbie Airstream owner here.

Hello everyone.

My wife has caught the camping bug after a few friends went on a weekend camping trip with their pop up trailer. She got to looking around at different pop up style trailers and came across a picture of an Airstream on one of the numerous RV sites. She fell in love with it and here we are.

We are a family of four with two boys, 6 & 3. We live in North Carolina. If we do this it will be something we take to different places, not just park it at a campground for six months out of the year. After my intitial research, and various Google searches, I found this site along with a '65 Tradewind. My first round of newbie questions are for basic knowledge, opinions, preferences, pros-cons of the different models. I will search the forums and be back for more details later.

For any '65 Tradewind owners, what do you like/dislike about them? We're not looking for something completely restored, but not a massive project either. Cosmetic issues are not a real concern as we will be looking to add our own touch to it. Structural integrity would be my biggest concern. I don't want to rebuild it. We're planning to look at one in a couple weeks, what things should we be looking for/at? I read a thread earlier about using inspectors. Distance is not the issue, knowledge is. Is it possible to meet with an inspector, or owner, when looking at a trailer to get a few pointers?

Anyway, thanks for any info. I look forward to many more conversations.
Apptiger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
You already have a project, two young boys. I suggest sticking with a trailer that's less than ten years old. It will have features your family expect and still have enough life with minimal effort by you.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
AS are great, a lot of fun to work on and better yet to use to get out on the road and do some camping. I don't know how much you are looking to spend, or how much work you want to do. No matter what age AS that you pick for yourselves, do some more research.

Price vs. Condition - Vintage Airstream

the above link has some interesting stuff, purchase price, condition, a price guide, cost of repairs and replacements, etc. It might be worth a read for you.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Oh ya, somewhere on the forum there is an inspection check list. Use the search function, it might help you as well.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You're not too far from Out of Doors Mart - go visit and look at the new ones. Also they're a good source of parts for repairing a vintage unit.

Floor plans vs. Walking THROUGH can be a totally different experience.

Say Hi to Terry (overlander63) too.

Paula
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
Here is the link to the inspection checklist:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html
hollybeth is offline   Reply With Quote