Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Berkeley , California
Potential Newbie

Hello!

My amazing in-laws have generously offered to lend us their Airstream (2007 20' Safari SE) for a six week road trip this summer (lucky us!). We have some details to work out, but it's looking more and more like this will be our introduction to family Airstreaming.

I have a question about making minor, non-permanent modifications to the interior (no renovations!) - is this most appropriately asked in the sub-forum specific to the year and model of the Airstream in question, or is there a better place?

Thanks in advanced! I'm so excited to be a part of such a helpful community!
lucioperca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Lucky you! You do have very generous in-laws.

When it comes to modifications, you might have better luck looking under the interior and exterior forums. Not all of the threads are about major restoration and renovation. You can also try the search feature for something specific, but if it doesn’t produce what you’re looking for, try using your favorite browser instead. Air Forum threads will turn up in Google and Bing searches. (Probably Safari and Firefox, too.)

While these forums can be a great resource for information and ideas, don’t be afraid to trust your own ingenuity. Make sure you document your projects with pictures, then share them with the forum. It’s likely someone will find your ideas interesting or useful.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Berkeley , California
Great tips - thanks!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
This is probably a good place to continue IMO, as you post your possible modifications, which may not be specific to one particular design. Have you discussed the mods with the owners?

If you have not trailered before, may I suggest that you try a weekend trip ASAP to see if the proposed 6-week journey is a good fit? Depending on your experience, a long trip right out of the chute may be challenging IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Berkeley , California
great minds think alike - we're planning a weekend trip in a few weeks to see if this will really work.
I'll see if I can write up a succinct description of what we're thinking of modifying - and yes, we've discussed this with my in-laws, who are so stinkin' nice that they say we can do whatever we want. I just want to be respectful of their generosity (and their beloved Airstream!).
Old 03-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #6
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Not sure what you want to change, in terms of no permanent. If it is just decor or where something is hung, 3M Command strips would be a way to go. Moving mounted furniture would be the major category, as the interior needs to be fastened to survive travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Berkeley , California
thanks for the replies! I've just posted to the Interior Restoration, General forum, here, since that seems like a good place to continue this conversation. (basically, my question is if it's possible to build a frame to suspend a cot over the dinette, or if that's completely unrealistic).

I've been eyeing those Command strips and glad to hear they will be good non-distructive ways to hang things. That's one area of modifications that will definitely have to happen! (I think we need a lot more hooks than the grandparents need!).

thanks!!!