Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Tallahassee , Florida
"Poor Man's Airstream"

Hi everyone, I am enjoying this forum. It seams there are a whole bunch of nice, happy rvers here.
I have been RVing for many years and Jan joined me in 2006. We enjoy traveling to many different places in our motorhome. However, recently I purchased a "poor man's Airstream". I'm sure you know I'm talking about "the painted one", the Argosy. There isn't much left of it. But I am salvaging it. The Furnace, water heater, AC, black/gray and fresh water tanks, door and roof vent fan were all missing. I have replaced the rotted plywood flooring in the nose, in all the rear, under the stove, refrierator and at the door. Oh well as you can see, I have a lot of questions. I'll try to find the proper place to ask them.
I want this "goose" to be pretty when I'm finished with it.
Bo Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Glad to hear someone is saving another one. Post some pics so we can see your project.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Hello and welcome to the forum - you will find many friends and just as many answers and comments. Take care.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. We're about 150 miles west of you in Walton County.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Here are the General repair, Interior repair, and Exterior repair forums in no particular order.
If you browse through these or do a search for specific info, you'll find that there have been a lot of folks who have paved the way for you.
Good luck, and welcome to the forums!
Dave

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Bonney Lake , Washington
Welcome, "Bo Walker". The only things reused on our Argosy were the fresh water tank, AC unit and the bath tub. It's nice to work with a clean slate. Have fun and please post pics.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I don't think I would say poor mans Airstream I would say Wise and Simple Mans Air Stream Much lighter lots less bell and wisles to break and if she gets a minor dent just pullit out bondo it and paint no changing panels no headaches I Choice to purchase a Argosy over the normal Silver Airstream for many reasons! I think the more you work on her and make her your own you will find she is a fine as well aged wine! Welcome and good luck
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
"Poor Man's Airstream"

Greetings Bo Walker!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownerhsip!

You will find that the first generation Argosy coaches have loyal following that is adding members every day. As an owner of both an Airstream and an Argosy; and as one who has spent a fair amount of time researching the differences -- the biggest difference between the two lines is the level of standard equipment included as well as the degree to which experimentation was permitted. In many ways the Argosy was the test-bed for future Airstream features and to a lesser degree floorplans.

The deep-wrap Wing Windows first found their homes on Argosy and later made their transition to the Airstream where they are still used today. The rear bedroom Argosy coaches were the first to feature the deep wrap wing windows on the rear of the coaches as well. The first generation Argosy also had rear entry (behind rearmost axle) floorplans that share common features with those that have recently become quite popular in the Airstream line. One of the most notable experiments that didn't see expanded use was the composite aluminum floors utilized in most of the 6.0 Metre Minuets and some of the 6.7 Metre Minuets.

The more that I have learned about these wonderful and sometimes misunderstood coaches, the more I like them.

Good luck with your Argosy 20!!

Kevin

P.S.: Even the WBCCI had to relent as the Argosy coaches were welcomed into the club in beginning in the 1990s. You will find several places in owner's manuals and literature that will advise the original owners that their coaches were not eligible for WBCCI Membership. There are several of us in the VAC with Argosy coaches who enjoy taking them to the various Rallys around the country.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:59 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Tallahassee , Florida
Gosh, what a surprise for you all to extend such warm welcome. You people are really great. It's nice to know some of you aren't that far away too. I go to Panama City, Fort Walton Beach and Pensacola pretty often.
I'll try to post pictures later. I have a few ugly pictures but they should get prettier and prettier as I continue the improvements.
Bo
Bo Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
"Poor man's Airstream" my b---. The only reason you could call it that is the fact you are poor after you get finished restoring it. We love our Argosy so much that we have put a lot of money into him to get him to a total electric and/or gas model. Congratulations on finding one and on restoring it. You will have so much fun being "poor" that you will hardly notice. Please give us pictures of the before and during restoration. We just love pictures. Oh yes....welcome to the Forum!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Juel is soooooo right.....you will see what "poor" is all about once you start buying everything for your Argosy....we have just started to first of our total inside redo and already love it. I can't wait to have many, many trips in our redone argosy. Welcome to the forum and can't wait to see your pics...I am doing a complete before to after pics on the forum 74 argosy redo.....enjoy
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Welcome Bo Walker,

Be sure to check out boatdoc's threads. He did an excellent restoration on his Argosy. He also documented his work in several Adobe files, which are easy to save. Good luck with your project.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ady-43418.html
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Welcome BO
I never think of it as a POOR MANS AIRSTREAM. Its just an Airstream thats Undercover or with paint.
Good luck wiff the restoration. Boatdoc did great wiff his, Now lets see what U can do.
PICTURES WE NEED PICTURES
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
....one more thing......

Here's boatdoc's thread with the documented restoration files....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...red-40365.html
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
Gosh, what a surprise for you all to extend such warm welcome. You people are really great. It's nice to know some of you aren't that far away too. I go to Panama City, Fort Walton Beach and Pensacola pretty often.
I'll try to post pictures later. I have a few ugly pictures but they should get prettier and prettier as I continue the improvements.
Bo
Post the ugly pics - that way you can feel extremely proud as your project progresses. Also - if you would like to feel just as rich as someone restoring an unpainted Airstream... your restoration will cost about the same amount as theirs - and in some cases more. The front wrap windows on your trailer are no longer available and fetch high prices from salvage yards should you need to replace one. Argosy's are cool! (but I may be prejudiced)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Yes, by all means, post the "ugly pictures". That way you will look like a hero when you are done. Argosies are really cool. I've gotten to see quite a few at campgrounds and rallies. Airstream should bring back the Argosy.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Welcome from Texas!

Argosys are very cool. Someday, I may have one as my 2nd or 3rd or 4th Airstream trailer.

Boatdoc's renovation is amazing, and another great Argosy reno can be found here, done by forums member "Smokeless Joe" (real name Sergei) up in Canada. It has taken him over 3 years, but he's just about done with it. He eschewed propane gas altother and opted to make his trailer systems run only on diesel fuel and electricity.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

Good luck with your restoration/renovation!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #18

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel View Post
"Poor man's Airstream" my b---.!
I just love it when someone defends the looked down upon. For me it's a Aistream/Argosy,/Avion/SilverStreak/Spartan/pretty much any vintage trailer ...dillusional kind of thing. You know how it goes. Starts small, then the next thing you know there's aluminum crown molding in the dining room...Family vacations scheduled around rallys, or through the town where that "Must Have Part" is located...

OK OK OK....I get caught up in the aluminum so to speak...Aluminuminitus is a bad, bad disease...And it's probably to late for you now.

Hey Welcome to the Forum!!!! We love Ar-gies, and as others have stated. We love pictures, and we really like to see someone go through the torture...oops...I mean effort of bring back an old road warrior to it's original, or updated splendor.

Keep us posted as to your progress, and welcome again!

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Welcome to the Forums. You'll find a wealth of information here and kind, friendly, and knowledgeable people to answer your questions. Have fun with your Argosy and post pictures when you get a chance.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #20
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
Bo,
Wish you could see one of the nicely re-done Argosy's here at the Texas Vintage rally in San Antonio. Nothing "step child" about them. They, in fact, were the choice of their owners over an Airstream. Bottom line, both Argosy & Airstream are great units and the bond of the owner's is the "bonus".