Old 07-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #1

1965 24' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
PLEASE HELP new airstream owners!!!

hi all....my best friend and i want to open a cupcake concession trailer out of an airstream. we live in Dallas and accidentally (ok, we're blond) bought an 1965 24" tradewind yesterday. We paid around $2,000.00 for it on EBAY. it is an absolute mess! we are freaking out cause we don't know the first thing about what to do. it is in Idaho and not in condition to be towed. how can we ship it? also, does anyone know how much it costs to replace the doors and windows in something like this. We haven't seen it in person but the pictures are scary. I saw someone else paid 300 dollars for theirs and now i feel really stupid! any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 07-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your Airstream, it may have to be transported on a flatbed. It doesn't sound like it is towable. if you can provide some further information and some photos, we can give you some help.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
You can place an ad on UShip.com and people / truckers will bid on picking it up and deliverring it to you. I've used it twice and was pleased with how it turned out. You can pick who ever you feel comfortable with (you don't have to pick the low bidder), it won't be "cheap" but it will be less costly than most other alternatives.
Good Luck,
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #4

1965 24' Tradewind
Dallas , Texas
thank you for your replies....can't seem to upload pictures from ebay but it is missing doors and windows. the seller says it has very few exterior dents. we are hoping to ship it to Dallas and hopefully find someone who can help us restore it. How much did we overpay?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Be prepared, doors and windows for a 1965 aren't stocked at every neighborhood hardware store.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Tradewinds are a great length so congratulations! I can't tell you if you overpaid or not but if you post photos perhaps experienced vintage owners will speak up. I do know that an airforums member here has a company called Frank's Trailer works (frankstrailerworks.com). I believe he is giving away a 59 Tradewind trailer for free and it was used in the food service industry already. I believe you need to do the renovations with him but you may want to give him a call!
Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Be prepared to double your investment just to get windows and the missing door. If you can find them, they won't be cheap.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
All is not lost! You are going to rehab anyway.The glass is all flat so inexpensive fix through a glass shop.I am in the Dallas area and there are a couple of good restorers in this area.(Paul Mayeax in Paradise near Decatur)I am in the process of a 65 Ambassador redux currently in Slidell near Gainesville.It's not rocket science and you can do alot by yourself.
I do have a contact for a great metal fabricator in Meunster(for cutouts window reconstruction.I will PM you with my contact info.Steve
Old 07-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We paid way over our limit but the money was there and so was the Airstream so we went with it at that time. I am an airbrush artist and am always dreaming up ways to travel and paint at the same time, so far I have made it to the point of where we live we don't have to pay rent or electric, but the bargain can be too open ended. What I paint verses what the rent is worth. Right now it's worth it because we do not have to live in a RV park (where the screaming kids and weed eaters lurk). But bottom line I am trying to REALLY REALLY figure out whats the best (almost instant) cash income thing I can do while traveling that allows us to drive up anywhere and go right to work. Using the Airstream as a visual draw. Good luck with your project...if you have to -- and if the Airstream is too far gone, I would scrap that project and start again, even if you blew 2000 on it. But if you are going to be making baked goods- some folks completly empty out the inside and re-do them in diamond patterned stainless steel. Good luck Ladies!
Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakegirl View Post
thank you for your replies....can't seem to upload pictures from ebay but it is missing doors and windows. the seller says it has very few exterior dents. we are hoping to ship it to Dallas and hopefully find someone who can help us restore it. How much did we overpay?
...There is a free application called MWSnap3 on the internet that once installed you can clip anything any where including whole pages or even small thumbnails...you'll see. We are right north west of you guys in Altus Oklahoma
Old 07-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
dallas , Texas
Ok -- attempting to post a pic of the purchase....[/IMG]
Old 07-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
dallas , Texas
Here is another photo. By the way, im the second half of the cupcake girl -- im number 2. thanks for everyone's help! http://i49.tinypic.com/2gvswgg.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-05-2010, 04:49 AM   #13

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome CCG,

Parts for Airstreams are available but certain ones can be very difficult to locate (1969 wings windows come to mind) but it looks like you have the entry door which can be a big ticket item so you're ahead of the game there. Damaged door/frames can be repaired. Access doors can be found at reasonable prices and it pays to keep an eye on Ebay. Post some better photographs when you get this one home and you should receive plenty of advice just like some of the good stuff that's already been posted.

Don't worry about the price...If the trailer has good bones and is largely in tact then $2K is a drop in the bucket when it comes to restoration and the subsequent joys of vintage trailer ownership.

Congratulation on your T-Wind,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
consider that if you are selling out of the AS anyway, maybe try to place the retail window in the spot of one or more of the window openings. i got estimates from a trailer resto place that wanted $60k to outfit an AS w/a commercial kitchen.

if you can do your baking off site, and only use the AS for retailing, you wont need commercial kitchen but i do believe you need to find out what kind of requirements you need for a health dept inspection / permit. im assuming triple bay sink, handwash sink, 220v electric, fridges, generator, greywater tank, storage as basics. try to get these items used.

don't worry about 'overpaying', you might have saved $500 elsewhere but in the scheme of things $500 can be saved by buying your equipment used or doing parts of the resto yourself.

i suggest framing out the sidewalls (at least to counter height) to be 90 degrees to the floor, (square) so you can use traditional, off the shelf storage / cabinets.

you can save a ton of $$ ($3k) by polishing it yourself. i think if you did it all yourself you could do it for under $15k total.

Do you have a biz plan? a location in mind for where you plan to sell your cupcakes? experience in the restaurant industry?