Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
Please allow me to introduce myself

It's time.

I'm not new to RVing, pretty much, over the years I've worn out three truck campers and two class C's, clocking in around 400k mi. I'm currently driving a Bigfoot 29sl, towing a Wrangler. The Bigfoot is great, I will miss it, but the truck part has over a hundred thousand miles and I find myself having to contemplate my next move. Keeping an open mind, looking at EVERYTHING, like a moth to a lightbulb I keep migrating back to beautiful Airstreams.

For the most part I've traveled alone or as the primary (only) driver with friends or family. I'm confident in what I do, it's been a steep learning curve, carefully towing my Jeep…however I have never towed or backed up a trailer. It's an unknown to me, with the accompanying trepidation. Can I park it? Can I turn it around if I screw up? Can I hook it up alone? What more safety equipment do I need? What are the new hazards? Is it going to push me down a mountain? What's the perfect truck? (my husband is happily working with me on that aspect).

This board has helped tremendously in my research. I want to thank you all for being so forthcoming and helpful. Today I entertained myself for an hour with Power vs. Manual Awnings.

I'm going (again) to a dealer tomorrow and another one on Sunday armed with lots of knowledge, a lot of it I picked up here, some reading books, some YouTube etc.

Bottom line, if all goes well on trading in a motorhome, a truck camper and a pickup truck, my dream is to put it all back together with a 2015 25fb Signature and a new truck. In all honesty, after looking at everything ad nauseum, the beautiful little Airstream is the only thing knocked my socks off and made my heart jump, and really, bottom line, a new rig should feel exciting or what's the point? I've looked at so many pictures, I never get tired of it.

Thank you again and I hope to be back soon and report that all went well and I will soon become a legitimate member of your wonderful community.

Thanks for reading this far!

Oregon Ms
Oregon Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Aluminitis - only one cure now.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Good luck in your pursuit.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Towing is just another skill. Going forward, it's going to be a lot like driving your motorhome--just allow for a longer vehicle when planning turns. Trailer wheels track a little inside the tow vehicle's wheels in a turn.

Backing is another matter. Find a big, empty parking lot and a few traffic cones (or similar markers that won't do damage if you hit them) then practice until you've got it right.

I thought I was proficient in backing a trailer when we got the Airstream. Then I had to learn all over again. I realized that I'd never backed a trailer I could not see over, and I was using the back of the trailer as a guide reference. With the Airstream, it's different. You use the mirrors more.

Anyhow, practice makes perfect. Take it slow and you'll be find.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . .welcome to the group ! It sounds to me like you've mastered whatever skill you wanted to / needed to, so towing a trailer should not be a problem. Lot's of us learned by hooking up & hitting the road And that 25 is a great size trailer, Enjoy & travel safe, Craig
Old 09-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought:

"I'm a man of wealth and taste...."
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
Yes, me too. I thought it was going to be Mick Jagger. Enjoy!
OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
Thank you all, and yes, when I wrote that I was thinking of that song.

The trade in negotiations are done and the Airstream of my dreams is sitting in Portland with a sold sign on it, waiting my final approval. Tomorrow is the day I will lay eyes on it for the first time. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

Spent yesterday with my husband test driving new trucks. This is all happening very fast and I'm feeling giddy.
Oregon Ms is offline   Reply With Quote