Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rapid City , South Dakota
Planning for Retirement

We don't own an Airstream yet, but hope to when we both retire within the next couple of years. At the moment, we have very little knowledge of Airstreams, but I have admired them since I was a little kid. For a long time I thought they came standard with a Suburban for a tow vehicle because it seemed liked that's all I ever saw pulling them. We are just now starting to get "serious" about what we want. We own a Harley touring bike and originally thought the Eddie Bauer would be ideal in that we could put the Harley in it and travel. That was a short-lived idea as I'm sure that would be too much weight . Now we are looking at a classic--not brand new of course--way too much $$ As time for retirement approaches, we hope to be able to land a good deal on a trailer and maybe a tow vehicle (that will haul the Harley). I've have a pretty good handle on towing and backing so not anticipating that being an issue. Our plan is too travel pretty much full time for as long as we can tolerate the life style. Just now starting out on this site, so we are hoping to scour for as much information as possible. However, if anyone want to give us some useful tips to shorten the information curve, that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
RicnDebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We are in the same time frame except we don't have a Harley. When I started researching Airstreams in 2012 to move up from our 17' Casita trailer all I did was read these forums.

You'll probably need a 1t truck to haul the Harley while towing. My 2008 Classic 25fb has 1100lbs of tongue weight.

Browse the forum threads and if you can't find answers to your questions, post away.

Welcome

Kelvin
Old 10-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Do not wait until you retire. Get one and enjoy it now. Fix the bugs and make modifications while you still have a salary income!

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We thought we would do the same thing. We got the Airstream(s), ditched the Harley and love every minute of it. We do about six months a year, split. Get one asap and get used to it, work out the kinks and then upon retirement you are set. We love the Black Hills, go almost every year and have been to bike week several times. Going to be in Spearfish for five weeks next summer.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
RicnDebi, welcome to the forums!

We started planning for retirement full-timing in 2012 and after four years, we're preparing to launch in three months. I just retired 3 weeks ago and my husband follows by the end of the year. We haven't RVed before, have no experience towing anything, and haven't laid eyes on our Airstream yet. (It should be arriving within the next month.) We too plan to live this life for as many years as possible before settling down again.

Initially we set our sights on an Airstream, then wavered into bus conversion territory, then Class A, and finally back to Airstream again. I would recommend attending as many RV shows as you can and take a look at everything that's out there.

I have to say, all the plans we've made over the years have come off just as we planned so far, knock on wood. The main thing we concentrated on over those four years was our finances -- we worked to save enough money to be able to do all the following without debt: 1) buy a truck, 2) buy an AS, 3) buy everything needed to equip the truck and the AS, and 4) have a healthy cushion, all without touching our retirement savings. And we did it by living on a frugal budget, selling our house and renting a 900-square foot place near work, and selling our second car. We've lived like college students on two professional salaries and were able to save what we needed.

Because we're 6 years from Medicare, our plan is to keep our income low until then in order to qualify for an ACA premium tax credit. As it is, insurances will be a big part of our budget. Luckily, the full-time lifestyle lends itself to a lot of control over expenses.

I would recommend that you read blogs of other full-timers, if you don't already. If you need some links, let me know.
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I totally agree with a earlier comment, a one ton TV & Harley in the bed.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I don't know your financial situation…BUT

I would suggest getting a trailer sooner than later. It may take a while to find a decent trailer, and a while to fix it up and outfit it.

I too, am approaching retirement. My original plans fell apart, and I have some decisions to make. Fulltime camp for a bit, part time, rent, buy a small place, get a storage unit, and then there is the where issue. Right now I am struggling to get two houses ready to sell.

I started plotting out a game plan for living on the road. Where to winter? Where do I want to be for the holidays. How to do all that without going cross country to often? Avoiding bug season. Avoiding the heat. Needing to commit to reservations if I want to winter in Florida. How to be comfortable without spending to much.

One of the members here, cautioned us about over romanticizing living on the road. The reality versus the dream.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks for the info. Not quite ready to give up the Harley yet. Debbie and I still enjoy touring with it. Of course the Airstream bug may bite us so hard that we could change our mind. Time will tell, however. I am retired Air Force as well (77-98; ICBM's).
Old 10-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Since you live so far from an AS dealer, what about a nice vacation next summer to the Jersey Shore? Catch a show at the Stone Pony, and spend the day at Colonial Airstream.

Seeing the units in person, especially after doing a lot of research here online, is a good way to see the elevations, storage, line of sight, feel of seats and beds, and work out what you like and don't like in various units, layouts, and styles.

They would also have some used units as well, and making a connection with them would be a good way to have a source to work with should they have something come through that meets your needs.

Their website has a lot of great You Tube videos as well, that really go over the various models.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I started plotting out a game plan for living on the road. Where to winter? Where do I want to be for the holidays. How to do all that without going cross country to often? Avoiding bug season. Avoiding the heat.
An Airstreamer of my acquaintance has a very simple plan— "follow the 70s." When it's colder than 70°F where he is, he travels someplace warmer. When it's warmer than 79°F, he travels someplace cooler. No matter where he is, he's always heading toward the 70s. He doesn't always make it— in the dead of winter there may not be anyplace that warm that his Airstream can reach— but that's his plan. The rest is just details.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
A little additional info on our situation. My wife's job was contracted out from under her a while back and she and I made the decision for her to take an offer in Arizona. We were too far along in our individual retirement plans (financial) to start from scratch--especially here in SD. That being said, we bought a place in Gilbert right as the market hit rock bottom. Thank God for Allegiant airlines that flies direct form Rapid to Mesa--the airport there is only minutes from our home. I retire here in SD in 2 years (I'll be 62), and Debbie the year after. Our initial plan is to keep the house here in SD--neither of us are ready to give up the Black Hills. There is a dealership nearby, Desert Autoplex, that has a fair supply of Airstreams. I can't recall if they sell new or not. So, Piggy Bank, we hope to be able to do ample research from our home in Arizona. Perhaps even come across a deal from some retirees who no long travel.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I still have a couple of years to work so we bought our Airstream, had to move to Missouri and actually made money on my house sale in Texas. We carried the load for a little over a year and then decided to pay it off. We decided, while I'm still working (the wife stays home to care for my almost 94 year old mom) to get everything we need for extended travels in our Airstream. Purchased a new Ram 2500 CTD this year and we plan to have the Airstream converted from queen to twins this winter. Guess the next purchase after that will be a generator. Already got the portable 200w solar panel. The reason to get this stuff now is we will try to live off our Social Security and the house sale and just draw from our investments for health insurance. I'll be turning into Scrooge when my paycheck stops.

I'm looking forward to hiking, biking, kayaking my butt off, loosing some weight, getting healthier, becoming a minimalist to get away from collecting junk, and seeing this beautiful country.

Kelvin