Old 06-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfromearth View Post
Hey there in KY! I've still got family around Lexington and London, and my dad grew up in Corbin. Appreciate the friendly welcome and the learned advice. How severe is the depreciation on new AS TTs anyway? 25% the moment it leaves the dealership?
If you get a good deal and hang on to the AS, depreciation is nothing. (buy and hold ) I usually buy my cars new and hold them for as long as possible. I still have a 91 Camry and a 99 Sienna along with my 04 4Runner. I have been very happy with all of them, the wife won't let me sell the Sienna; ever! . So if you buy new, just make sure that you're going to keep it, or get ready to take a big hit on depreciation. Most newbies (including me) move up or get out after 2-3 years.

We looked at used AS and settled on the one we have. We have now owned it for 3 years and would like to move up but we'd have to upgrade our tow vehicle (TV) too. That's a big expense so we'll just stay with the 23'. It's very comfortable for just the 2 of us and easy to tow.

I think depreciation will be the worst in the first year, then for the next 1-2 years it will drop more. Eventually it will level off, AS hold their value after that. There is a demand for all AS, particularly in the 23'-27' range, because you don't have to have a large TV (but you DO need to pay attention to the TV limits). With a 2017 Tacoma, a 22' is probably your limit. I bought my AS from someone who pulled it with an older model Tacoma. I think the 23' (newer) is right at the limit for a new Tacoma, no wiggle room. Older models of AS are lighter and you can pull them with smaller TVs.

[Side note, the people who sold us theirs said they held it for us because we were the first to call, the day it went up on the commercial site here. We went to see it and there were 3 other couples interested, 1 couple from California. I'm sure we paid more than we should have, they gave us all the extra stuff they had, including the Equalizer hitch, tools and gizmos. I haggled his price down a little but the wife kept nudging me to get it, so we did. We've been very happy with it so it was worth the price. ]

We've lived in Lexington for 20+ years now. We're from Louisville, relocated with my employer to Cincinnati for 8 years, then took an offer in Georgetown, living in Lexington. Lots of farmland, good retiree location, next to no pollution and I-75 / I-64 crossroads. We like it here, nice city, especially if you like UK basketball.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfromearth View Post
...and picked up a new '17 Tacoma 4x4 with the V6 tow package. I think it'll be enough of a TV to handle a Bambi, so we may end up starting in a Sport or vintage equivalent.
Welcome - and thanks again from EN guy - all advice is free as has already been said. But, you can dip your toes in the Airstream water for under 10K with a "vintage" model that you can tow (with your rig) that will weigh <4500 lbs and can be 24-27' long. It may not go up some grades very fast or it may be maxed out but it might be a great way to explore the Airstream world. You can get an idea of the new ones at Colonial or any other dealer - sure. But you can learn a lot for a little (with a used, older Airstream) that, even if you do decide to buy new, will make you a well-informed buyer - from direct experience, not just the opinions of others. And, you could do that for a couple years and likely get your money back out if you buy something new. Airstreams don't have odometers and there's a reason why a 20+ year old Airstream still has more value than a 5-10 year old SOB. And, that's money to add to the next one.
Just my 2c

TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you look at depreciation off of the list price, it can be pretty steep. Most dealers in most conditions will give a pretty good discount off of list. Looked at as depreciation off of sell price, it's not quite as bad. Prices on new ones have been going up in the last few years. That helps used sales depreciation wise (used looks better in terms of price). If sell price on new ones levels off, your depreciation likely will be a bit more than it is now.

Since there is a small amount of seasonality to pricing, buying new in December and selling used in July probably will be better than doing the opposite. Some models do better than others, simply due to changing taste. New always comes from a dealer, used could be a trade, sell back to a dealer, or a private sale. Each will yield a different number. I'm sure that if you are willing to pay list price on your next AS, the trade in depreciation will not look as bad There are a lot of crazy factors like that.

Regardless of all that, the right thing to do is still the same: If you are going to buy new, do everything you can to buy the *right* one and hang on to it for quite a while. If you buy a used one, you still want to pick the right one and hang on to it. The economics of trading used for used are not quite as bad.

How does "settling" for a used one you can find compare to buying a new one that's "just right"? Only you can make that decision. We made one decision, you could easily make another and still be right. Airstream does not make a lot of crazy changes each year. You can compare a 20 year old one to a brand new one and see a *lot* of similarities. Just ignore the decor (or buy paint) ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey there Ed. New Jersey here chiming in. We bought a well used, fully functional,
1985 Airstream (30') in 2007. traveled all over with for 4 years then sold it for what we paid for it and purchased a 2001 model (30') from a friend that was getting up in years and couldn't travel any more. We still have it and travel a lot. Last summer a 3 month trip to Alaska. This winter 3 months in Florida among the most recent outings. The sky's the limit (your budget too). As you might expect I would advise a used AS purchase over new but that's a personal decision. Either way make sure you have a tow vehicle that will safely pull your Airstream and hit the road.

See ya on the road sometime.
PS: our daughter lives in Baltimore ( works for the city parks dept).

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171208_113906.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	300585 After a very busy summer and fall, we finally had the chance today to visit a dealer and get a look inside a 22' Sport, which seems to be the sweet spot for our budget and tow vehicle capabilities. Lot of research and planning yet to do, but it was awesome to lay eyes on the genuine article.

edfromearth is offline   Reply With Quote