Old 06-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #1

Duluth , Georgia
Pinball collector with a wandering eye

Hi all, thanks for this forum!

Iíve been restoring, collecting and playing pinball machines (ďpinsĒ, we call them) for 20 years. My unhealthy obsession has grown to about 24 pins, which is 10 more than my wife will let me cram into the house. But as I get closer to retirement and freedom, my mind returns to the open road. I have about 5 more years to go, but Iíve started planning my getaway.

My wife seems to have no interest in the kind of traveling I want to do, so I may be going it alone a lot. Iíve started looking at 16-20 foot Airstreams. I also have this crazy idea of buying a gutted Airstream and making a mobile pinball arcade out of it, as a little side business. I hate that I live in the suburbs with an HOA. It limits my options for restoring big things, and even the smallest Airstream wonít fit in my garage. I may need to borrow my friendís land in North Georgia and share it with him.

Itís nice to be excited about something new again. This is how I felt about pinball when I first got into it. Life is too short to do just one fun thing.

jschlarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #2

Duluth , Georgia
I guess it makes sense that the overlap between pinball and Airstream enthusiasts is pretty small. A pinball machine is an anchor, something that keeps you in the workshop for days at a time. An AS is the opposite, an open invitation to hit the road for days at a time.
jschlarb is offline   Reply With Quote