Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #1

Duluth , Georgia
Pinball collector with a wandering eye

Hi all, thanks for this forum!

I’ve been restoring, collecting and playing pinball machines (“pins”, we call them) for 20 years. My unhealthy obsession has grown to about 24 pins, which is 10 more than my wife will let me cram into the house. But as I get closer to retirement and freedom, my mind returns to the open road. I have about 5 more years to go, but I’ve started planning my getaway.

My wife seems to have no interest in the kind of traveling I want to do, so I may be going it alone a lot. I’ve started looking at 16-20 foot Airstreams. I also have this crazy idea of buying a gutted Airstream and making a mobile pinball arcade out of it, as a little side business. I hate that I live in the suburbs with an HOA. It limits my options for restoring big things, and even the smallest Airstream won’t fit in my garage. I may need to borrow my friend’s land in North Georgia and share it with him.

It’s nice to be excited about something new again. This is how I felt about pinball when I first got into it. Life is too short to do just one fun thing.
jschlarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #2

Duluth , Georgia
I guess it makes sense that the overlap between pinball and Airstream enthusiasts is pretty small. A pinball machine is an anchor, something that keeps you in the workshop for days at a time. An AS is the opposite, an open invitation to hit the road for days at a time.
jschlarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #3

Asheboro , North Carolina
Where you able to make the dream a reality?? I had the same idea and actuallly googled airstream and pinball...that lead me to this thread. If you have, I’d love to see pictures.
Jeffreyyaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’m working on a 1970 Williams electromechanical pinball machine today. It’s a Dipsy Doodle four player game. Tinkering with it has become my weekend hobby while my Airstream is in winter storage. Today I’ll be cleaning the score reels, and replacing rubber components in the play field. I’ve also got a dirty stepper unit that needs cleaning.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear jscharlb:
With 5 years before you are officially.slated to drink the kool-aid, your timing is exactly right.

I suggest you use this very forum to volunteer to assist anyone who is DOING a restoration within a 2 to 4 hour drive radius of you, especially if they have done more than one. Post your city and state and ask responders to send you a PM (private message).

Some area WBCCI CHAPTERS have spring maintenance rallies too. Doubt they'd turn down willing hands - especially ones that can work on electric/electronic stuff.

Reality is the best reality check.

Paula
Old 11-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dur!
Look up Top of Georgia Airstream campground.
Take wife.to visit nearby Swiss Town. Plenty of kool-aid for her too.