Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Pics of my first AS

Ive been looking for an airstream [seems like years] bidding on them all over the US--Last month I found the AS of my dreams in my own backyard! Its a 1971 safari-apparently its an econo model? What a beauty! The PO said that everything works [dont they all say that?] but when I fired up the furnace it smelled really smokey -had to shut it down--was there a recall on that year furnace? I am self-employed as an artist-I work with clay and copper-going to artfairs here in mich and afew other states as well--I would like to recover the countertops and all the various 1" strips around the kitchen with copper sheet- And if I get really ambitious the ceiling[center panel only] in copper as well---pulled the carpet and the plywood floor is like new!-not sure what to do on the floor---well its winter here in middle mich and I will have to wait on checking the water system- everyday I take a break and just sit in my new home and dream of the possibilities--Wow, a home that moves!--its magic! I can run away from home anytime I want now! ----ciao--jim from michigan
Attached Images

jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Jim,
Congratulations on your purchase it sure looks like a beauty. I am certain it will give you many years of fun and adventure. Since we are both neighbors maybe we will run into each other sometime. We do camp in Michigan do you plan on coming over to Wisconsin?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Congratulations

What a great find!

Welcome to the Forum.

Be sure to use the "Search" function (upper right hand of the page). There is SOOO much information to be found in the archives.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Thumbs up Congratulations

Wow, Just the outside alone looks Great !

You really lucked out. I've had my 05 Safari for over a year now and I STILL,
go out and look at it, then go inside and sit for a while enjoying the fact that I really do OWN an Airstream ..... Wow !

Anyway, Enjoy.

Best regards,

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:18 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Nice looking trailer! What do you mean by econo? You are correct about the recall and you should not use it untill it has been tested. Sadly, we have all seen on the news the tragic results of carbon monoxide recently. I would not take that chance. Search on furnace recall and view the threads. I also like to go sit in mine!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Sweet looking coach, I strongly agree with flycaster on the furnace issue except to say you should replace it entirely.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Congrats from the other side of the lake.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Congrats! I have the same trailer. Although its getting a little small for me as we keep expanding our family! ;-)

Dittos on the furnace. There is a recall on the crossover tube that you can't see until you completely remove the furnace innards. I repaired mine but.... still don't trust it since its so old.

We rely on an electric heater, and the heat strip in the A/C.

Just take it one step at a time... Good luck!

Be sure and check out my airstream home page in my signature line. I have a lot of the projects I have done on there.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Congratulations. In addition to the information you can find here on the forum, there is a series on the DIY Network which covers repairing/restoring an Airstream.

There is one episode about replacing the furnace. Might be worth checking out. It looks like it will be airing again on Feb 11th, 2006: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_..._40680,00.html
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
what a cutie,,,all of the months of searching make it well worth the effort when you find the treasure that fits your soul. best of luck,,,, dieterdog
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
thanx everyone

thanx to everyone for the warm welcome!-Can anyone tell me the history of the big red number on the trailer[its 11619]--also, concerning the last pic of a cigarette plug? located in the cupboard above the bed-what in tarnation is it for?--and why is there what appears to be flag holders[three] on the top of the trailer?--Chaplain, thanx for the invite-when I can get into the artfair in Madison wis. I will be over--mabe for the airshow at osh kosh too!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:06 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
I thought I was the only one that would go iside my trailer and just sit there, admire, dream, plan,,,,,,,.
Congratulations!!!!!!!
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Welcome from a Fellow Newbie!

Hey, Jamesardis! What a gorgeous rig! I'm new to the Airstream world, too (2 weeks ago!) and find it very unique, to say the least. If you don't mind me asking....how much did you buy that little jewel for? I paid $4500 for my 67 Overlander. Like to compare the blessings of others and enjoy alongside them.
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #14
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Also-----------------------

Azflycatcher-thanx-I will ck for any furnace recalls[I will try to fix this furnace just to keep everything properly aluminified]-I guessed it might be an econo model because it lacked the skylite window both curb and stside--plus the stside window was also not behind the curtain-which by the way looks like a perfect spot for a plasma! And it has only one bed[other than the front couch bed]but seems to have alot of closet and storage space!-------------------87MH,thanx-search I will!--------------swebster,I will ck out the DYI site thanx---jim from mich
Old 01-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Pics of my first AS

Greetings jamesardis!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream Ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesardis
thanx to everyone for the warm welcome!-Can anyone tell me the history of the big red number on the trailer[its 11619]--also, concerning the last pic of a cigarette plug? located in the cupboard above the bed-what in tarnation is it for?--and why is there what appears to be flag holders[three] on the top of the trailer
The big red numbers are a previous owner's WBCCI (Wally Byam Caravan Club International) membership number. These numbers are assigned to the member and not the coach. Each year, the WBCCI publishes a membership directory with members identified by number -- it can be fun to check these numbers when an Airstream is spotted while traveling.

There were typically two or three convenience receptacles (12-volt cigarette lighter type outlets) found in most Airstreams (may have been optional in Land Yachts while they were often standard in Internationals). One outlet was usually provided for the gentleman's 12-volt electric shaver, a second for the 12-volt television (typically near the antenna outlet), and often a third in the kitchen area for 12-volt kitchen appliances (my '64 Overlander International has one in each of these locations).

Flag holders are part of membership in WBCCI. Most members of the WBCCI fly their state, unit and national flags when attending functions. Many of us will display our flags when traveling as well -- if I am staying more than one night in a particular location, I usually display my flags.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Hi Jim,

That really is a nice looking rig. I also have a 71 Safari. That cigarette lighter type plug in the top of the closet can be used as a recharger for a cell phone of other applicance. Ours came with a nightlight that went in there. If we are in a really dark area we leave the closet open to find our way to the bathroom.

We replaced our heater because it was pretty rusted. The new one is much nicer, it has automatic ignition controlled by the thermostat. If the pressure in the propane line is too low it will shut off automatically. It's nice to have one less appliance to light.

Lots of luck.

Larry
Larry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The skylights are called vista view windows and they can cause many problems with leaks and peeling between the glass. It was a common feature, but no big deal.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:46 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
There is nothing wrong with sitting in the Airstream in the driveway,and just looking,,,,,,,,
Old 01-21-2006, 06:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
My 78 Argosy has about 4 of those 12V outlets. I first thought "why would anyone need 4 cigarette lighters" then realized what they must really be. Guess I'm showing my age since I remember cigarette lighters in cars. You have a really nice looking trailer, escept it's not that lovely cream color I love; however, it should give you lots of fun. Welcome to the forum, we have lots of fun here too.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:48 AM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Jim,
I would not call it an econo model, but it does not have the International upgrage package on it. Which IMHO is pretty rare (not having it is rare). IIRC the International package added a few items like blue stripes, water filter and about $500 to the price tag Vista Views are nice but can be a major pain. I have had to replace one of mine and it still leaks...from the factory I would figure on replacing the furnace, if memory serves me it was the NT20/22's that were on the recall and from 1971-1975? It does not devalue the unit at all to have a newer furnace installed, I have a 1975 Sovereign (31') and I was happy to see that a new furnace had been installed by a PO...now if they had just taken care of the nasty carpet and sagging rear...

That is a very nice looking unit you ended up with.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote