Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2006, 07:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Jim,
The 12V receptacle (cigarette lighter) is a handy option. I have actually added a few to our MH in more convenient locations. You can get appliances that run off of 12V. My favorite is our crock pot. I can start a meal in the morning when we leave and let it cook all day while we travel. When we arrive at a camp park the food is cooked and ready to serve. Of course in our motor home we have the benefit of smelling the cooking during the day but you can always slip back during rest stops.
We will meet you in Madison at the art fair just let us know when you are coming in. By the way yhere is no such thing as an "econo box" Airstream as you will soon find out.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:49 PM   #22
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Well concerning the furnace-I will take it out and see if the combustion chamber is in good shape or not-then replace the cross-over tube[with what Im not sure yet]--since Ive gotten such a good deal on this unit I am not sure I want to ruin it by spending so much on a new furnace-a catalytic[portable]propane fired may be the ticket,considering how little one uses the heater anyways-------am still in the dark as to where I could possibly find the service manual for this 71 safari--just ordered some sealant from vintage airstream--so that I can button her up tight!----------thought about draping some plastic tarp over it-but am afraid that it may somehow mark the aluminum--I need to get this baby under something for the winter--------thanx all for your advice and help----ciao--jim from mich
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Jim,
Before you get too sold on the idea of a catalytic (BTW I love mine) and ditch the furnace, the furnace on Airstreams also provides heat to the holding tanks, a major necessity if you camp in freezing weather. And IMHO will affect resale value. I know I would NOT buy an AS without a proper furnace in it, without taking the deduction for a replacement unit.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:40 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Pics of my first AS

Greetings Jim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesardis
-------am still in the dark as to where I could possibly find the service manual for this 71 safari--thought about draping some plastic tarp over it-but am afraid that it may somehow mark the aluminum-------thanx all for your advice and help----ciao--jim from mich
You can obtain photocopies of the original manuals utilizing the information below that has been quoted from the Vintage Airstream Club website. You also may be able to obtain "comb-bound" reproductions through the Airstream Store as well -- check:

http://www.airstream.com/shop/dynami...n=cat&offset=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Airstream Club website

Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.
My suggestion would be to avoid the urge to cover your coach with anything that will contact the skin. Even gentle breezes will result in rub marks between the cover and the coach's skin. A good coat of Walbernize will help to protect the exterior from the elements -- see:

http://www.airstream.com/shop/dynami...=cat&offset=10

Good luck with your Safari!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:58 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Running Springs , California
Wow, looks great! Your patience has been rewarded with a real gem! Ditto on the heater issue--not worth taking a chance. Until you replace the heater you can do a work around with a 'Heater Buddy' for about $80.00. Its propane and rated for inside. Still, you have to ventilate via a couple of the windows being opened more than a little. Something to keep you warm while you are sitting in the object of your new affection and thinking how dang lucky you are to find such a great AS pod. Also, do 'econo' and 'AS' really belong in the same sentence? My hunch is you will find they do not.

Happy Trails!
geosouth is offline   Reply With Quote