Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Fluffin

2012 27' FB International
Charlotte, NC , St. Marys, Ga
Picking up new unit...

New owner of a 2012, 27FB Serenity. We will be picking the unit up next week at Colonial Airstream. I have heard that they can do a pressure test to check for possible leaks. Can anyone explain this procedure and would it be worthwhile to request this be done. I believe this unit has been at the dealership for less than 40 days, so it should not have been exposed to harsh conditions. Is there anything else that we should look for during our inspection. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
O'Flitter and Muffin The Wonder Dogs
fluffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sealtech Manufacturing Inc. - RV leaks bubbles recreational vehicles

This is a device that hooks up to a vent and sucks a great deal of air into a closed trailer. The outside of the trailer is washed down with soap and water - and bubbles indicate leaks.

The same thing has been accomplished by at least two people on the forum with a homemade device. They use a heavy industrial fan to blow air into the Airstream - to pressurize it, they cut a hole in the plywood base of the bed slightly smaller than the diameter of the fan, open the outside access door that leads under the bed, and lay the fan over the hole, facing inward. since most beds have hinged lids to get under for storage you could also lift up the base, then use another piece of plywood with a hole cut in it for the fan to rest on.

Spraying water on an by itself isn't a good test because a lot of leakage stays between the inside and outside wall. The pressure test reveals loose rivets, and often seams that appear to be perfectly fine actually have leaks.

I like the 27 FB especially in the Serenity colors - but DO be aware that you should inspect and reseal the roof as often as twice a year. Also the skylights are cheapo, cheapo! There are great replacements available. I'll do a search and if the gods allow post that link on edit.

Paula
Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
First - Airstreams have problems but you oughtta see the SHEEEEEET you can get with a 2 year old SOB! Prevention is worthwhile on an Airstream, many SOB's appear to be made out of recycled shoe boxes.

Custom Maxim Skylights - I've replaced my OEM skylight TWICE, once at the mother ship, and the second time at Out of Doors Mart last fall. The one at OODM had an aluminum top gasket that was supposed to prevent the cracking around the screws, didn't work. Now temporarily fixed with Aluminum tape which may hold it through the summer. This will be my next replacement. And I'll borrow some scaffolding and do it myself. I'm out of shape to do this kind of thing but darned tired of paying for work that barely outlives it's 90 day warranty. Not totally fair. I fulltime, and don't keep mine under cover EVER so I have to expect stuff to wear out sooner than those who use theirs lightly.

USE and enjoy your unit. Check up on the roof REGULARLY and when the skylight gives out, (NOT IF, WHEN) replace it with a Maxim or equivalent. A big hail storm will break anything, but barring that I can expect a Maxim to last 5 to 10 years.

Here's the link to a step by step replacement with Maxims.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...hts-53517.html
Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Testing with positive enviornmet air pressure is a very common test performed in the const industry on piping and HVAC systems. Some specifications demand we test with nitrogen because the nitrogen molecules are smaller than air and will show a leak where air wont.
I see no reason with some thought this could be done by yourself. It does'nt take much positive pressure to show bubbles. In fact to much pressure may fracture the tension of the bubble surface and you won't see the leak.
Pressure tests only need a few ounces of pressure differential.
Dawn dish soap works the best.
All Operating rooms have positive air pressure systems as a matter of building code and construction.design. They would rather push out the germs out then suck them in. Makes sense to me.
Dan
Old 05-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Fluffin,
I second Paula's recommendation for Maxim Skylight replacements. After reading Bambi_Bandit's post to which she pointed you, I ordered mine over the phone with them and installed them myself in one easy morning's work. Here's the link to my story, too, if you like:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...ess-82937.html
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Fluffin

Yeah, we are spending the night @ Colonial...our 1st night in our lil castle...beautiful interior...love the LED lights...thinking we get some good REMs tonight....sleep tight y'all!
Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
well, is she home or are you still on the road, unable to leave her? [written from under the big awning overlooking Harrison Lake in Ohio <grin>]
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Fluffin

Fluffin is safely tucked in St Marys, Ga....Had uneventful ride home....met a cute couple with their 4th AS @ a rest area. Trying to decide about July 4th...may go to St Augustine. It will be fun with great fireworks if anyone wants to join us!!!