Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #1

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portsmouth , Rhode Island
Picking up new Airstream

Our big day looms near! (this week!) I have dreamed of getting an Airstream since I was a small fry. When we would see one on the road, my dad would point it out with the wistful sigh of someone who longed to be the one towing it off to some pristine spot on the Maine coast! He passed away two years ago, and here I am, not too old and not too gray, preparing with spouse to pick up our first Airstream, (first any kind of travel trailer for that matter...) and wondering if anyone out there has any helpful advice for getting the most out of the dealer orientation-- not that we won't be giving it our full and utmost attention! Any and all helpful hints gladly accepted!

thanks!

'luminumluxe
LUMINUMLUXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome!

You've come to the right place, both to find people to share your excitement and to help with the questions you haven't asked yet.

Will you have the opportunity to spend a night in your new Airstream on the dealer's lot?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We are glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new baby!

The only thing that I can recommend at the orientation is to take notes and some digital photos. Also, take your time; do not rush through it. Also, keep in mind that sometimes the person giving you the orientation has never spent the night in an RV in his life. We recently had a novice RVer come on the Forums, having trouble with his black tank. He had been told by the salesman to leave the black tank valve open while camping with full hook-ups. This is something that you never, never, never, ever do. The results are catastrophic. Ask the person giving you the orientation about leaving the black tank valve open while hooked to sewer. If he or she tells you it is alright to leave the valve open. ask to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about.

You are going to love the floor plan. We have a 25FB that we have towed over 40,000 miles and spent 360 nights in. We have not tired of it yet. We go out in Lucy every chance we get. We had never owned an RV before either. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it ain't launching rockets.

On the Forums, you have found the place to get all of your questions answered.

Be sure to take some baby pictures and post them for us to look at.

Safe travels.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #4

2009 International 532
Royal Arsenal , London
Like you we pick up our first Airstream - BUT this is the Airstream Europe 532 model.

Not new to Caravans (travel trailers) but new to Airstream!
Green Squirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Video Camera! Enjoy and congratulations.
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Since the purpose of an Airstream trailer is to hook it up to your tow vehicle and tow it to various destinations, one of the primary things you will want to become very familiar with is hooking and un-hooking the trailer. This procedure can vary by the type and make of your weight distribution hitch and sway control system. If you have not pulled a Travel Trailer before you should hook and un-hook at the dealership a few time to make sure you have the process down.

Then as Captain Kirk always said. Beam me up Scotty and take us to warp speed.

Have fun

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Filiform Corrosion

Make sure you inspect it carefully for filiform corrosion.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We are jealous of the anticipation and we remember it well!
Ditto the video camera, hitching/unhitching, take your time etc.
Have them take you for a ride while towing too to show you the ropes and let you try it as well.
Make sure you fine out how EVERY LITTLE thing works!
Don't be afraid to ask questions - they only seem silly to you - a good dealer has heard them before and should be prepared to answer them.
Come here often for lots of answers, advice, discussion, etc.
And POST SOME PICTURES!!!
Best of luck!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lum', congratulations. You choose the same one we have and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Did you get the owner's manual yet so you can read it and asks lots of questions? I read a few books on RV's and read tons of threads on the Forum before we went to pick up ours. I had two pages of questions on a legal pad. They alloted us two hours, but we took four.

They did not have a camping facility at the dealer, but we did stay nearby and had to come back the next day to have a few things dealt with. We didn't have the time to stay longer, but I recommend you do if you can. On our way home (240 mile trip), about halfway we stopped and found one of the large side windows gone. Neither the dealer or factory had adjusted the latch correctly, one latch opened, the window got sucked out. Now we always check the latches to make sure they are tight on all the windows. This is just an illustration of how many things there are to learn. It is overwhelming, but you'll figure it out. Everyone makes mistakes, so expect to do some dumb things and they won't hurt as much when you do. After a while things will become second nature, but even then it's good to have a check list of what to do, especially when you leave a campsite.

We had never owned a travel trailer and our experience towing anything was miniscule. Driving out of the dealership, making a tight, narrow right turn down the block, making another left on a busy street and not hitting the sign at the end of the median, then parking in a campground for the first time were scary, but nothing got hit, and nothing has since. When we got home, backing for the first time* was an adventure, but the trailer got parked just where we wanted it.

Some dealers are good, some are not. Make sure when hitched, the tow vehicle and trailer are on a level surface and the trailer is level. Bring a level with you to check. The tow vehicle should be level too and you will probably need more air in it's tires.

Then go enjoy yourself.

Gene

*back slowly, turn wheel slightly until you know how much the turn does to the trailer, hold steering wheel at the bottom and turn it towards the direction you want the trailer to turn.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I saw this one in Flagstaff the other day; the guy was very happy with it, towed it with a fresh F-150. It was from Maine and showed no corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0413.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	77395  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #11

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thank-you all for your speedy responses. It is a lot to digest, but i am so excited about it, I couldn't sleep all night, nor wipe the silly grin off of my face! All of your suggestions will be heeded and I will charge up the batteries on the video camera. We will not be spending the night at the dealer.. it is still too cold to commission the water and holding tanks. I think we have been given a 5 hour time slot for our orientation. Thanks for cheering us on. 'Lum
Old 03-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I'm a very satisfied owner of an '05 Safari I bought new. It still looks great inside and out.

If you live in a marine environment (I'm bringing this up due to Rhode Island) or drive on salty roads, please see the corrosion thread for some helpful tidbits buried there.

The corrosion starts by salts or minerals getting in the disturbed finish usually at a rivet hole. Or a chip from road damage.

In general, wash the trailer often, apply some kind of anti corrosion agent to the rivets (acf 50, etc) on a schedule. Inspect trailer monthly for corrosion, beginning when new, and apply anti corrosion agent to spots which are forming.

Use the least harsh cleaning agents possible, clear water only if possible, and flush a lot of rinse water over the trailer. Car cleaner wax is a good way to get off grease or deposits missed by clear water.

Some sources I've read indicated water softener's output is more corrosive than the city water prior to the softener.

Enjoy your new trailer!
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Smile

Welcome luminumluxe and Congratulations!

Record the orientation! Video if ya got it, voice if not!

Many dealers will let you overnight on or at a local trailer park and then re-orientate!

Enjoy your new stream, better yet USE it!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
You will love the floor plan and have the time of your lives. This is our first trailer, also. Right off the bat, you may want to replace the factory mattress with a quality one. The curtains will eventually have to go, also. Other than that, you're good to go!
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUMINUMLUXE View Post
...am so excited about it, I couldn't sleep all night, nor wipe the silly grin off of my face!
Lum,
It's a great feeling ain't it. Welcome aboard and enjoy the heck out of it. That silly grin is a permanent fixture on many of us, I am sure. Please be sure to post some pictures when you get her home and all decked out so we can all grin along with you.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUMINUMLUXE View Post
Our big day looms near! (this week!) I have dreamed of getting an Airstream since I was a small fry. When we would see one on the road, my dad would point it out with the wistful sigh of someone who longed to be the one towing it off to some pristine spot on the Maine coast! He passed away two years ago, and here I am, not too old and not too gray, preparing with spouse to pick up our first Airstream, (first any kind of travel trailer for that matter...) and wondering if anyone out there has any helpful advice for getting the most out of the dealer orientation-- not that we won't be giving it our full and utmost attention! Any and all helpful hints gladly accepted!

thanks!

'luminumluxe

O to be young again, I remember the first time, the first time is always special!!
Enjoy--How Sweet It Is!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:09 AM   #17

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
We do live near the salt water and air and will gladly welcome tips and methods for keeping corrosion and/ or electrolysis at bay. We use a great product called tef-gel when assembling or reassembling anything that requires a steel(or stainless steel)-to -aluminum on our boat. We will be video taping our orientation-- thanks to you folks for the suggestion!

'Luminiumluxe
Old 03-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Muncie , Indiana
Congrats! I know the feeling from when I went out to N.J. last winter to pick up my new (to me) AS. The one significant thing I've noticed so far is the difference in backing. I regularly back several types of trailers, including a boat that is larger than my AS and the AS is different. The former owner is a career long-haul trucker and he said the same thing.
I got it safely backed into the barn but it was a very slow process. As soon as the weather improves slightly so I won't mar my bright finish :-), I have a large parking lot where I'll take her for extensive backing practice. The biggest problem I have with the AS vs. my boat and others is the reduced visibility since you have a solid mass rather than being able to see partially under or around the hull of a boat.
For me, unplugging the 7-pin connector so the brakes aren't activated as I'm backing it in reduced the stress. There is enough from worrying about doing anything to damage your new "baby".
SailorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote